Zuma, step, spinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zuma, step, spinning

All of these classes that I hear people with MS talking about, are they designed for people like us or are they regular classes? Are you able to do the whole class? If you couldn't in the beginning and can now, did increasing your activity level help you, do you think?

Sorry for all the questions. A few people irl keep asking me to do these classes or go to their gyms, but there's no way I would make it more than 5 minutes spinning or treadmill.

I'm losing patience with these normal people who keep telling me about their workouts and asking me to go. At first I thought they were just trying to be encouraging, but I'm beginning to doubt that. Maybe they're just dense. Or maybe they're mean. Maybe they're right.

Tell me, please, about your exercise experiences.

I just started going to Zumba classes a couple months ago and I love it. My first couple classes, I would not lift my feet off the floor, so whenever everyone else would change positions, I wouldn't. I also had to take a break a half hour through the class, but I would go and finish it. This was also the time that I had never done a workout for more than a half hour doing the treadmill and bike combined. After my first few workouts, I no longer had to take a break (with the exception of the past week I've had to due to my stupid arm going numb or my legs giving out on me, but this is not the norm).

I'd say after my first few classes, I also started adding in more movement with each class, and now nobody would ever know by looking at me that I have mobility problems. I won't do the jumping movements or the lunges (I just do squats in their place because I'm ok with those), but I can do pretty much everything else the rest of the class does. I have a weak lower body, so these classes make me feel so great.

Keep in mind, you get out of the class what you put into it. If you can't keep up, walk in place. All that matters is that you're moving. I've noticed in the classes I go to, nobody cares what anyone else is doing. Nobody ever stared at me when I was the only one in the class hardly moving and taking breaks. I have told a couple people I have MS and that I'm weak, and when they found out, they couldn't believe it because I've gained so much strength and I look like a normal person now (this was definitely not the case at the beginning of the year).
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

I used to do a kickboxing class when I was first diagnosed and I loved it. I'd really like to try a Zumba class because I think it would be fun. If you have friends you'd like to exercise with give it a shot. Do what you can and if you get tired just slow down, you're paying for the class so follow along as best you can. When anyone starts an exercise program they are not going to be as good as someone who has been doing it because their body has to get used to the exercises. If you're interested give it a try, but don't push yourself. You can always slow down if you need a break.
      Lori
      Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

I spin 2-3 times a week and at first I wasn't able to do all the jumps and jogging but the great news is that with every single class I could see that I was getting stronger.

If you are someone who hasn't ever worked out or pushed yourself in the past it takes some getting used to but if you are able to stick with it the mood lifting component is amazing.

I know MS changes some things but I do believe you have to push yourself at least a bit in order to benefit from exercise. Good luck!
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

I have done a senior's Zumba class, low impact and not as strenuous. I am not able to do the whole class however, so I went outside and brought in a chair, sat down as needed, got up and resumed when possible. I am the only one needing a chair, and they all ask for me to come back.

I do complete water aerobics - in an indoor pool year round. I am now able to do 2 consecutive hours 3 times per week and I wear 3 lb weights on each ankle. When I first started several years ago, I could hardly manage one hour, no ankle weights, and found I couldn't get out of the pool on the ladder.

Improvement is slight, core strength seems to be diminishing over time regardless of what I do. I try to celebrate what I can do, forget what I can no longer do, and move on to enjoy what function I still have. It's hard, but I try to keep reminding myself get over it.

When I was healthy, I really enjoyed physical activity. I played on 2 tennis teams and went ballroom dancing several times a week, either taking lessons or a dance or both. One night, my husband and I were dancing at the Ritz Carlton, not staying there but just having a drink and enjoying the band, music, vocalist and the nice dance floor they had. I remember looking over to see a gentleman in a wheelchair watching us and my breath just stopped. That wheelchair was always my greatest fear, I was born with a congenital dislocated hip undiscovered, didn't walk at 2 years, and when discovered it was never fixed correctly.

Long story short, had severe arthritis and finally had the hip replacement sorely needed but put off because of fear that I would be "crippled", suffered immensely from the pain and finally caved when it was bone on bone and my pelvic bone was becoming compressed. The surgery was a success; however, 5 years later I was diagnosed with MS and that wheelchair became necessary by 2011. I am walking and even some dancing now thanks to IVIG so I feel so blessed to be functional again and work at being thankful for what I can do. My list of former activities keeps growing however.

If you are able to walk, try a ballroom dancing lesson. It's fun, doesn't stress your joints, improves posture and balance and you can't worry and dance. You can sit out a dance or part of it and there are many places where you don't need a partner. We've started playing golf, I really stink at it and go sit in the clubhouse when I'm too hot or tired and wait for my husband and friends.

Good luck.

Comment

I bought some of the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVDs. They go from beginner & low impact to pretty intense. They at least get me moving!
            Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
            Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
            Gilenya since 11/2014.
            Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
            EDSS 3.

Comment

If you want to go to one of these classes, then go. Don't let MS or the fear of not being able to do the whole class deter you. I fequently go walking (3-4 miles), do Zumba, Water Aerobics in the summer, or just go workout at the gym. I have never had a problem in the water, I actually feel like I can do more then I can out of the water. I am going to be sad when the pool closes. We only have an outdoor pool. There have been things at Zumba that I was unable to do, mostly because I have had 2 surgeries on the same knee. I just do something else instead. All of the instructors at the Zumba classes have been very understanding about this. I think you will find this is the case with most instructors no matter what the class is. People of all abilities take exercise classes and nobody is focused on you. Everybody is focusing on their own workout.

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
                All of these classes that I hear people with MS talking about, are they designed for people like us or are they regular classes? Are you able to do the whole class? If you couldn't in the beginning and can now, did increasing your activity level help you, do you think?

Sorry for all the questions. A few people irl keep asking me to do these classes or go to their gyms, but there's no way I would make it more than 5 minutes spinning or treadmill.

I'm losing patience with these normal people who keep telling me about their workouts and asking me to go. At first I thought they were just trying to be encouraging, but I'm beginning to doubt that. Maybe they're just dense. Or maybe they're mean. Maybe they're right.

As someone who use to run 5 to 7 miles a day, even with MS, I could not run 20 feet for the life of me today. I thought everyone should be able to run 5 to 7 miles...because I could. WRONG!!!!

I would not consider them mean...just uninformed.

Do what you can if you want to, and don't worry about the rest.
                Katie
                "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                "My MS is a Journey for One."
                Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post

MMMMS - as others have said, just do what you can. Like Lorib, I used to do aerobic kickboxing -- I LOVED IT! It kicked my butt, but for me, it was the perfect total body work out. I stopped because I started having knee problems.

Since experiencing MS's wonderful symptoms, I have tried Zumba and do enjoy that also. There are times when I can't even consider it due to various issues. Perhaps you would like it.

I do try to walk or do treadmill (don't have to run) or stationary bike a couple times a week.

Try something that interests you. Don't let others' skill level or ability stop you from finding something for you. You may find it makes you feel better physically and emotionally. And walking is good exercise no matter the pace.

Good luck finding something,
                  Bree

Comment

I agree with everyone else. Go to class, do what you can and have fun. I imagine a part of the reasoning behind friends asking you to classes is just a friend wanting friend time, plus I know I would be more consistent with exercise if a friend was there, too.

There may be a limit to how much you can do or improve, but exercise always helps your overall health not just your MS symptoms. It's always worth it to do the exercise you can, regardless of how much it may be.

The only things I'd add is to talk to the instructor before class if possible. Let them know of any limitation you might have and ask what they would suggest you do if something comes up in class you can't do, like march in place, stretch, etc. while other complete that portion of the class. They might even suggest modifications that make that particular exercise suitable for you.

The other thing I'd suggest is to take steps to prevent overheating. Use cooling devices, cool drinks, whatever you need so that you don't overheat.

Comment

Oh, it's zumBa. See, I have no business in those classes.

I guess I'm annoyed, because these friends are very athletic and frequently brag about their 3 hour workouts and 6 mile runs. Then they ask if I want to go along. It's like telling a person with diabetes all about the great dessert restaurant and how you go there 6 times a week, and would she like to go along and see how much sugary cake she can eat before it gets to be a problem.

It's very odd. But maybe, like you said, people don't really understand MS. That makes sense when I remember that MS is very variable and I don't look like anything is wrong.

I walk. Sometimes I do a little step exercise. Ballroom dancing sounds fabulous!

Thanks, everyone. There's a Planet Fitness near me. Maybe I'll join just to use the bike and treadmill.

Comment

Personally I don't have enough rhythm to do zumba. I tried. it wasn't pretty Plus I have just enough balance issues that when combined with the heat I was a mess.

I agree with others - find something you think you'll enjoy & at least try. Don't let others (or yourself!) stop you from trying!!!
                        DX 10/2008
                        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

My husband does martial arts. And rides BMX bikes. He was a gymnast. He has had some bad days, but he just keeps moving. Maybe he'll loose ability as time passes,but he said he certainly isn't about to give up, or not try new stuff.
                          We have a girl in our martial arts school with spina-bifida who has her black belt - she's IN a wheelchair, every day.
                          My deaf blind niece does martial arts.
                          If you think you can't, you're probably right.

Comment

"As someone who use to run 5 to 7 miles a day, even with MS, I could not run 20 feet for the life of me today."

Oh yes, I hear you, KatieAgain, although I'd be lying if I said I could ever have run seven miles.

If anyone can exercise, then good luck to you. Personally I find walking the immense distance (100 steps there and back - I count the little suckers) from the office desk to the office toilet three times a day quite sufficient.

I was never much of a dancer, so the world hasn't missed out on anything there.

Comment

Working...
                            X