Avonex and fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex and fatigue

I have taken my 4th dose of Avonex and struggling with fatigue. Thankfully, I have not had any of the other side effects. I work so hard all week, take Avonex on Friday and am in home all day Saturday. Hopefully, I can go to one event on Sunday. Will it get better?

Hi Michelle:
    Are you having trouble from the flu-like side effects of Avonex on the day or two after injection, or from the fatigue of MS? Those are two different things. The tiredness and feeling of being unwell that are Avonex side effect aren't usually referred to as fatigue. Calling that feeling "fatigue" is going to make people think of something else, and isn't the right term to communicate what you really mean.

If you're referring to the "tired and unwell" side effects that occur for a day or two after your Avonex injection, most -- though not all -- people find that they improve greatly after two or three months. Hang in there for a bit longer!

Comment

I think I am having minimal side effects from the Avonex. No flu like symptoms at all. I am so tired then combine with no energy, makes me feel like a slug! Thank God for a supportive husband. You are right, I don't know if it is MS fatigue or an Avonex side effect. What I do know is that I have been more tired since I started taking the Avonex.

Comment

Hi Michele:
        The interferons can have some other side effects (e.g., I had a hand tremor on Rebif that didn't go away until I got off of it), so it's certainly possible that your fatigue is worse on Avonex. Maybe it's time to talk to you neuro about some antifatigue meds like amantadine (relatively cheap generic), Nuvigil (expensive brand name) or Provigil (about to become a cheap generic).

Some folks also have had success with a combination of OTC nutritional supplements acetyl l-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. There are some meds that can help with fatigue; it will just take a little trial and error to find one or two that work for you.

Comment

Hi Michelle,

I had an increase in fatigue shortly after my shots when I first started Avonex. For me it gradually went away. I no longer have any side effects from Avonex and haven't for years.
          - Roy
          Been taking Avonex since June 96
          For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
          Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

Working...
          X