Specialty Pharmacies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specialty Pharmacies

My insurer uses CVS Caremark as their specialty pharmacy for copaxone - how many specialty pharmacies are there? What pharmacy does your insurance carrier use?

I have Cigna insurance and get my Copaxone through Cigna's mail order/specialty pharmacy. I don't know if Cigna allows using other sources (they called me, so I'm pretty sure SS and my NP at the clinic set it up).
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

mine is also mail order

i have Blue cross blue shield. I can use no one else.

Comment

My insurer (PacificSource) also requires me to use CVS/Caremark these days (I originally had Accredo for a couple of years).

At times in the past, when I've re-ordered my Avonex when I still have two doses left, they've been resistant to ship. I don't try that as frequently anymore, although I should. Twice I've broken the syringes upon cap removal (luckily neither was the last dose in the box), and then twice I've run out of medicine (see below)!

On two occasions, I have called the pharmacy on a Tuesday, needing a dose for the following Friday or Saturday, and they inform me that my prescription has expired and they need to contact my neurologist for a renewal. And in both cases they and my neurologist can't get their ducks in a row in time, and I get my shipment on Tuesday and inject three or four days late! And neither party seems to give a rip.

On that occasion and others, more often than not, the pharmacy people on the phone act as if it's a privilege for me to do business with them.

They don't call (or e-mail) and remind me to re-order ... they once did, and Accredo did.

They won't allow me more than four weeks' supply with one order, although that may be PacificSource's call.

On their website (http://www.cvscaremarkspecialtyrx.com) they say for fast, easy ordering call CaremarkConnect toll-free at 1-800-237-2767 or order refills online, but I ordered online once and didn't even get an acknowlegement, and then I called the number and they said no, I can't order online, and I need to call a different number. Bleep!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Comment

Pharmacy

I have express scripts, but for ms and specialty meds, I have to use curascripts.
          RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Specialty Pharmacy

I have Blue Shield of California (PPO). For general mail order prescriptions I have to use MyPrimeMail. If I am buying something at a retail pharmacy I have many pharmacies to choose from including Target, Walgreens, CVS and Costco. For my Rebif I use CuraScript.

Comment

I have blue cross/blue shield and use Triessent specialty pharmacy for my Copaxone.

Paula

Comment

I've used CVS & Walgreens specialty branches, not sure who the new insurance co will make me use
                DX 10/2008
                Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I have United Healthcare, and was given the option of Accredo and Prescription Solutions. Accredo was a nightmare, but Prescription Solutions has been incredible. They have a specialty department, and the people on the phone are intelligent, helpful, polite, and know their stuff, and I never get jerked around. I've used them for all but one shipment, and will never willingly switch.

Comment

Blue Shield of CA and they only have 2 'specialty pharmacies' on my PPO plan, Curascript and CVS Caremark.

I use Curascript for the Ampyra and Caremark for Copaxone, but that is because they chose them for me when I first started.

CVS has yet to bill me for my portion of 2 months of Copax, where Curascript requires me to pay up front for each refill.
                    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                    Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

The DMSs are very expensive so I think insurance companies work out nearly-exclusive deals with local area pharmacies to provide them. This way they can negotiate lower prices as all MS patients in a given area are funneled through them.

Comment

I had accredo and Medco and they were both a joke and a real pain to deal with. Now I get all meds from VA, its all online for refills, go online and refill and it shows up in the mail in 2 -3 days, if refill runs out one call to infusion nurse and she gets dr to refill prescription, usually takes a day or so.
                        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I use Curascript for my Rebif. I haven't had any issues with them at all ~ of course it's only been four months. I get my meds delivered the week before I need them. I only have a $30 copay thankfully.
                          Julie
                          DX 11/9/11
                          Rebif Therapy 12/13/11

Comment

I have bluecross and the specialty pharmacy is Walgreens Specialty. Have no problems with them.

Comment

I have United Health Care and they have Medco (not too awful)for most prescriptions and Accredo (the worst!) for my Gilenya. I have a third party payer that covers all of what my insurance doesn't cover for extremely expensive meds, but Accredo keeps billing a payer that I don't even have, and then they wonder why they are not getting paid! I go round and round with them every month and it finally gets resolved, but then the next month it gets messed up again. Yesterday we had another mix up and I went nuts as they disconnected me 3 times, after I was on hold 15 min. each time.

Comment

Working...
                              X