Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting my first avonex inject this Friday !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting my first avonex inject this Friday !

ok peeps! Need the cheering section to rally for me! This Friday ( February 24 2012) will be my first MS med ever, starting with avonex. My wonderful neuro ( dr Douglas Woo......med college of Wisconsin located in Milwaukee ) has started me on a 1/4 dose first , then increasing by 1/4 each week till I reach full dose in a month. God bless him for titrating me up, to hopefully limit potential side effects.

Of course I'm scared to death! Not because of injecting but because of potential side effects like the flu.....not sure I will be able to handle that once a week. But I guess I am getting ahead of myself. I need to chillax and just take it a day at a time.

If anyone else is just starting, feel free to comment. We can support each other. And for you veterans, would love comments!!!!

Thanks everyone!

If you look up the threads started and the general posts in the last month by LostCupcakes, Michele48, and Nanobaby, you’ll see their stories of starting Avonex recently. They may even chime in here.

The side effects of my first injection (almost eight years ago) were nasty, with chills and aches for a day or so, but they soon became quite mild, eventually of little to no concern, as I acclimated to the medicine. I stopped for seven weeks in late 2011 and had rough side effects the first week I restarted, but I've been fine since. Because of a pharmacy screw-up and a late shipment of medicine, I will get a shot tonight, but I have no concerns about work tomorrow. I will have to follow my usual regiment of acetaminophen and hydration (and you will want to have a similar regiment!), but I’ll be fine. I suspect you will be too, and the first injection may not even be as rough for you as it was for me. Good luck!

Comment

ok Ihb7337... chiiiiillllllax....lol Actually, be sure that you follow the suggestions that the Avonex nurse gives you and you should be good. The "flu-like" symptoms do not mean you get the flu. Many people seem to just get the achy feeling, maybe feverish. It doesn't mean, the vomiting diarrhea part.

They recommend that you hydrate very well the day before, day of and day after the injection. Then take Aleve also. The pre-medicate is pretty much the best advice ever! I was glad for the ti-trating also. Shot 2 gave me more of the flu-ish stuff feelings, than the other's when I was titrating. Now I am not really feeling any effects when I take the Aleve and drink lots. I started Avonex in September 2011.

You can do it too! It gives you a feeling of empowerment I think, to know that there is something that you are doing to fight your MS. Good luck to you.

Comment

Make sure you stay well hydrated and pre-medicate before your injection with either ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

It really isn't too bad, with the shorter needle (1 inch 25 gauge). Kinda like a mosquito bite or quick beesting.
        Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
        UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am so so so bad at hydrating ( with water, that is) so I have to make myself drink it whether I'm fond of it or not!!! And I take regular pain relievers already so that will happen whether I inject or not.

I really appreciate the support and will report back ( or sooner) and let you know how it goes

Thanks again......ilsa

Comment

Cheers Lisa!

I'm not on Avonex, but wanted to join your cheering section anyway!

I do the Copaxone daily shots, but like you I wasn't afraid of the needle, but more concerned with side effects. (I've had none so far, knock knock on wood).

I think sometimes the anxiety of taking the 1st shot after reading potential reactions can be unnerving...

Keep a positive attitude (kudos for that) and follow the advice of the veterens here and I hope you do well!

Let us know how it goes!!
            Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
            Ampyra 10mg 2xday
            Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Looks like I am just one week ahead of you. I took my first ever dose of Avonex (or any MS med) last week, and my doctor started me out on the 1/4 dose also. I did medicate and hydrate and had no flu-like symptoms. We will see how it goes on the 1/2 dose this week. Good luck! You will be surprised on how LITTLE the injection actually hurts. I was shocked!

Comment

In the UK we do not seem to get the option of titration-it is all or none. I remember my first injection well 1 year ago-the wonderful Avonex nurse came and "trained me"- I suggested , having read all your postings, that maybe I could have half a dose first time. I was scared! She said-"no, I don't have any such instructions, and you will not have any side effects." So I got the full dose.....
                I have actually never had bad side effects-I hydrate, take ibuprufen and an antihistamine 1 hour before then go to sleep. Next day I often have muscular aches in my legs-but flu-no. So don't worry.
                You may be allowed to titrate in the US, but we have had the wonderful Avonex pen for the past 6 months-look forward to that. It makes injecting sooooo easy....!
                Good Luck!

Comment

Hello fellow new Avonex user! I've had 2 shots thus far and they were completely different experiences each time. Don't worry about side effects, though. Having the "flu-like symptoms" is no big deal. Just some fever, chills, feeling tired, body aches, overall just feeling yucky. Ah but with MS we're all no stranger to any of those symptoms anyways. When I had the flu symptoms they only lasted one day, so easily handled. Now I did have an unpleasant reaction to my first shot, though, that thankfully hasn't been repeated. I have two threads about my Avonex experiences; I think that when you click my name it'll show where I've posted.

Overall: Don't worry.
                  Diagnosed December 20, 2011
                  Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
                  Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
                  Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
                  Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

Comment

You might try some of the vitamin waters that have a nice flavor rather than plain water. I particularly like the one that has XXX on the label, acai-blueberry-pomegranate.

Comment

AVONEX

I have been on Avonex for just over a year. I do my injection on Saturday night just before bed. I take ibuprofen 1 hour b4 and I have to take a sleeping pill to get thru the night. One of the side effects for me was not being able to sleep on shot night, don't know why! I make sure to hydrate well on Friday, Saturday and Sunday! The shot gets easier each time. Now I just "do it".

Comment

yippie I got through my first injection and as many of you indicated, it was not a big deal! Iced the area, had premeditated , only had to take a 1/4 dose for first inject, so feel lucky. The only thing that happen a few hours after inject was a bit of a racing heart rate,also felt like my heart was beating in my throat. You know that feel when you have had way too much coffee ? So I just took a Xanax and layed down for a while. Prior to the laying down I had kept active, helping my husband handle our horses so I didn't go directly to inactivity after the injection. Moving around would seem important to get the med moving through your muscle and body. But holy cow, I'm done with my first experience!! Thanks to all who support each other with this darn disease. It's quite a brother and sisterhood we have here and so valuable!!

Comment

Congrats on your first injection going so well!
                          Diagnosed December 20, 2011
                          Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
                          Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
                          Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
                          Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

Comment

I recently just started Avonex too.

I began with the titration. Last night was my second full dose. I have found that my symptoms have only gotten worse everytime I inject. I'm not so much worried about the needle, but I find now I have to psych myself up. The PEN is a lot better than the needle.

I remeber thinking the nurse was crazy saying I might get the chills or shaky even with the 25% dose. I took one advil that night and went to bed. I work up 3 hours later freezing cold and shaking. It didn't matter how many blankets I had on.

I just completed my 5th shot last night. Just like clock work 3 hours in I had the worst chills ever. They last 30-45mins. It's not just being cold though. I feel like I need to curl into a ball to get warm, then I shake and everyone and a while I'll need to streach out, then back to the ball. Honestly it's the longest 30 to 45 mins of my life. I usually am able to fall asleep after this and then wake up occaisionally to hydrate or use the bathroom.

The last two times I had additional problems. I would wake up about 2-3 hours after the chills and be boiling hot and hear/feel my haert pounding/racing in my head. Last night (the 5th injection) I was up for 2 hours trying to get comfortable and slow the heart rate. I finally fell back asleep for an hour and woke with a mild headache.

I did take an advil this morning. It was the only way to get through the day. Actually once it kicked in I felt great. I was surprised because last night was the most uneasy night. In general since the first shot I have never slept well. There was always something uneasy like odd dreams or just a weird feeling but the last 2 times it jsut seems unbearable. I will stick with it, because I believe that I need to be on something and I know they say the symptoms should decrease after a couple of months.

It's just the 12 hours following the injection are pretty unbearable. I didn't want to get into the habit of talking a lot of advil or tylonol. I'm not even sure that these will help my main issue which is the chills and restlessness.

I was wondering if anyone out there is taking any sleeping meds the night they do their injection. I tought about switching to day time but I am worried that I would look like a drug addict giong through withdrawal. I have a very young daughter, 21 months, so my life is a little hectic on weekends and I work during the week.

Any suggestions would be great.

Comment

You might want to try Aleve instead of Advil, several of us here have found it works very well. I take it an hour before the shot and 4 hours later. I've learned the timing of taking something to prevent fever and chills is important. I set an alarm on my phone so I don't miss taking my second dose. Preventing side effects is far more effective than taking something after they hit.

I also take a benedryl before bed. Again I'm not alone in finding it beneficial to reduce side effects and help you sleep.

Finally, some Avonexer's take 10 mg. prednisone on shot day, which is often only needed for a few months while your body gets used to the medication.

Best of luck to you, I believe your side effects will decrease over time.

Comment

Working...
                              X