Avonex causing moodswings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex causing moodswings

At what point do I notify the doctor? I am noticing an increase in pretty severe and rapid moodswings the 2 days following my injections. I have done 10 now.

I'll be sitting there watching tv and I go from fine, to severely anxious, feeling like I'm going to have a panic attack, to really aggitated, to severely depressed. Then the depression stays for about 24 hours. By the end of the week I start feeling normal again. Just in time to do the next injection.

It seems to be getting worse with each shot. I'm on Cymbalta and have been for years, so I don't think it's that.
    Diagnosed Aug. 2011 - Currently on Tysabri

Today. I have been on Avonex and this is something you need to tell your doc. They will determine if you need to come off the medicine and try something else or monitor it for awhile.

Good Luck--Katie

Comment

My family has commented that they feel I am more volatile the few days after Avonex so I called the doctor. They suggested I go see my local primary care provider and see if my anti-depressant needs to be altered/ increased.

Remember, they always ask if you are feeling depressed, and mood swings and anger can be signs of depression.

So I second the emotion... call your doctor today.

Comment

Boy can I relate!

When I started Avonex in 1997, the side effects were just awful. My anxieties increased greatly. I was seeing a therapist who dx me with agitated depression. I started on Effexor XR.

I felt like the Avonex "turned up the notch" on my emotions and everything was intensified. Clearly, your brain chemistry is affected with both the Avonex and MS. Today, I'm still on Effexor XR and Avonex.

Being dx with MS in 1994, Betaseron was dispensed in a lottery. A flare sent me back to the neuro in 1997, and a very active MRI scan (grave changes from 1994-1997), scared me enough to start Avonex and the weekly pokes despite being a huge needle weenie.

Fifteen years later, I feel Avonex has been the silver lining in my MS cloud. Avonex: Stick with it (pun intended ). But, please speak to your doctor to discuss your symptoms.
        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Diagnosed 1998.

Been on Avonex ever since. Was wondering - are you suffering from Glaucoma, cataracts, or any other eye problems?

Was just diagnosed 6 months ago with ALL of the ABOVE. Do you currently have any eye problems?

Bio-gen will not respond to inquiries as to what the vision problems are with the Avonex treatment.

Am almost blind. No insurance. Thinking about discontinuing Avonex.

Any input?

Comment

I am new to this site I was on Rebif could not handle the shots 3x a week ached very badly all over my body. My Dr. put me on Avonex I had a terrific nurse who spent 3 hours with me made sure I was comfortable with the injection I still had the flu like systoms Tuesday will be shot day I 'm getting nervous thinking about it do anybody have a non-painful way to take the shot . I cry all the time because i feel like M/S has beat me I lost me.I was diagnosed in 2008 4/relapses just june 24,11 I had to leave my job of 20 yrs.I feel alone and lost.

Comment

Unhappy49 regarding the shot: I never have the actually shot cause any pain only the side effect.

If you are not a big person get smaller needles that was the first thing I asked my doctor to prescribe.

If you do the shot in the legs I like to sit in bed/couch with the leg stretched out so the muscle is completely relaxed and the needle will not hurt.

Once a year perhaps I hit a tiny nerve and there is a half second jolt that is about the only thing that I owuld get surprised by.

Leave the syringe out for half to an hour so it is room temperatur when you inject. Icing the site does not do anything for me, but some people like the numbing effect.

If you can insert the syringe/needle quickly but press the plunger slowly so the avonex does not get "pressed" through the muscle which can cause discomfort. I must say I never got from a slow jab to darting, mental thing I guess, but I did not think it hurt anyway otherwise I am sure I would figure out to dart it in.

Comment

My family always complains about my mood swings. I can be fine one minute and getting mean the next minute. I also get panic attacks...well heart palpitations, when I am stressed or nervous. The doctor put me on Celexa but I haven't taken any pills just because I am already taking enough pills. I don't mind giving myself the Avonex injection and I was given the smaller needles which help make it easier but I don't like the mood swings. Maybe they are not related to Avonex? I'm reading other posts on here and I'm hearing it could be related. I am not the same person. No one wants to be around me because of my anger, mood swings, etc.

Comment

You need to address the panic attacks which are the tip of the iceberg. You have anxiety and must address it.

Take the celexa and live your life. You can't see how your life is probably dominated by anxiety because you think it is normal to live that way - but it's not. Other people don't walk around that way with constant thoughts, worries, doubts, etc.

After the celexa helps you, you can begin natural strategies such as meditation, exercise and yoga to deal with you anxiety.

But there is no reason for you to live this way. Please take it. Or get this book and practice what it says:

http://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Way-th...5540273&sr=8-1

Good luck.

PS. Don't worry about names - depression and anxiety exist in the same space.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                    You need to address the panic attacks which are the tip of the iceberg. You have anxiety and must address it.

Take the celexa and live your life. You can't see how your life is probably dominated by anxiety because you think it is normal to live that way - but it's not. Other people don't walk around that way with constant thoughts, worries, doubts, etc.

After the celexa helps you, you can begin natural strategies such as meditation, exercise and yoga to deal with you anxiety.

But there is no reason for you to live this way. Please take it. Or get this book and practice what it says:

http://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Way-th...5540273&sr=8-1

Good luck.

PS. Don't worry about names - depression and anxiety exist in the same space.
                    Sorry, I haven't been on this site for a while. I took the Celexa for one day at work and was very dizzy. Then I went off of it. In that week, I ended up with a panic attack and was hospitalized overnight. I tried to make an appt with my Neuro afterwards but he didn't think it was necessary...ok so I thought that wasn't right and I contacted my MD. He first put me on Paxil and I developed a bad reaction to which he had to immediately take me off of, then Zoloft which my stomach could not tolerate. I now see a Psychiatrist and Psychologist. The Psychiatrist only has me on Xanax but I do believe that I also have depression. I am fine one minute, crying the next. Plus my stomach is nervous a lot to the point where I can't eat. I FINALLY see my Neuro on Tuesday so we need to discuss if I should start a new MS med or continue on Avonex and maybe try a different depression med. I'm at my wits end and don't know where to turn.

I started exercising, going to the gym, acupuncture, and yoga. I think the exercise really helps. There are days, like today, when I'm just drained and tired and I feel like the anxiety is controlling me...and it shouldn't be.

Comment

Working...
                    X