Questions for those who have been on Tec a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for those who have been on Tec a while

So, those of you who have been taking this medication for a while ... do you still have to take the med with a fatty meal?
    I ask because I usually eat a low-fat, low-carb diet and am trying to adjust to eating such very different foods (for me) with this med. I a.m wondering if the change in diet will be short-term or if I need to expect a longer-term change.

Also, do you feel that your sense of taste is off? Since starting this med almost a month ago, I have noticed that things taste different. For example, I love to drink iced tea, but now it tastes metallic. Most things just don't seem to taste good.

Thanks for your replies!

phoebe

I had a rough time in the beginning and HAD to take with a full, fatty meal. But now I can take it by itself.

I started in Feb and I would say that I ate with the tec for a couple months before I got the nerve to try it without food.

My sense of taste was off when I first started, but now it is back to normal.

Comment

I've been on tec for 8 months and no longer have to do anything special when I take it. I take it in the morning on a empty stomach and its fine. I will sometimes get some very mild flushing when I do, but it doesn't bother me enough to make sure I eat something first.

Comment

I have been on Tecfidera since it was released. I have gotten into the habit of taken Tecfidera with a handful of nuts. I have never eaten a complete meal with Tecfidera or premedicated. I still flush every now and again, but overall there are no apparent daily side effects. There are days that my taste is off, but that happened prior to starting Tecfidera. I am not sure if it has increased after starting Tecfidera. I do know when I get overheated my taste goes.

Comment

I used to take after my oatmeal, never did the fatty thing since I avoid fats and oils.
          Now I take during my bathroom ritual with an empty stomach, I don't eat until probably an hour later.
          Evening pill is whenever I remember, sometimes after dinner, usually when brushing teeth for bed
          1995-symptoms with no cause
          2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
          2000/1-started Avonex
          2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
          Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Originally posted by phoebe... View Post
            So, those of you who have been taking this medication for a while ... do you still have to take the med with a fatty meal?
            Also, do you feel that your sense of taste is off?
            I've been on Tec over a year now and usually DO NOT take it with a meal. Most of the time I don't flush, but every now and then I'll flush a bit -- no biggie.

I haven't noticed a drastic change in taste.

Overall I've been very pleased taking Tec. I hope you do well on it also.

Good luck,
            Bree

Comment

Working...
            X