Jury Duty excused medically??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Duty excused medically??

Has anyone here used a medical excuse to get dismissed from Jury Duty? I am on call next week, and although I don't mind doing my civic duty, this disease is so unpredictable that I never know from day to day, although I'm fairly confident I will be (my) OK next week.

My only concern is a) the heat is unbearable right now (100's); b) accessible parking without walking too far...

Just curious if anyone has done this. I was too embarrassed to ask my doc to fill out the forms and now the date is fast approaching.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

I have and they let me go

Comment

i have done that. i had to get a written letter from my dr and mail it in to whomever controls the jury duty. they have you call that phone number the day before (that is whom i mailed it to), there should be a notice about medical issues preventing ppl from serving as jurors, there should be an address there to mail an excuse.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I have too, got a doctors' excuse.
        They don't call me anymore because I don't have a drivers license just a photo id. I am a registered voter.
        I guess they figure if you can't drive then maybe there is a reason you can't sit a long time at jury duty too.
        techie
        Another pirated saying:
        Half of life is if.
        When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
        Dogs Rule!

Comment

Yes, I have a letter from my neurologist and have used it a couple of times to be excused from jury duty.

Comment

I received jury duty notice last year and I thought "Are you kidding me?" And it wasn't local either. Was good old Philly.

There was no way I could go, so called up my neuro, made an appointment and he filled out the paper work.

Comment

caregiver

Even caregivers are often excused from jury duty. I was called and when they told me to free up at least one month for duty. I explained that I am a 24/7 caregiver and they released me. In truth, I would love to serve on a jury for the civic duty of it. But with my husband needing me available I could not dedicate that many days.

We all would never dodge jury duty, but sometimes life takes precedent.

Good luck and find relief from that heat!

AliOP

Comment

The 1st time I was called, I went to see what goes on.

The next time, all I did was go to the office on my scooter.
                My name was removed from the list without showing anything except the letter.
                Joanne
                Happy in downtown Chicago
                Jerry is my 20 lb cat

Comment

Yes, A note from

my neurologist got me excused.

Comment

Thanks for all the input! Hopefully I won't be called to appear, but if I do, I am bringing my walker with me in case of long walking or no place to sit. Next time, I think I will have the doc fill out the form...
                    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                    Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I have sometimes been successful with getting a medical excuse, but at least one time I had difficulty.

I have bladder issues due to MS, and when I inquired how that would be accommodated I was told that if I attempted to go to the restroom more frequently than the scheduled breaks every 2 hours, I would be charged with contempt of court and put in jail!

I called my state senator to object to this policy and she was able to inform the court clerk on my behalf that this was discrimination against those with disabilities. Then I was excused on medical grounds.

This incident occurred at a time when I was being called for jury duty every 6 months and a day, the law being that they cannot call you more than once every 6 months. I suspect that frequent summons was retaliation for objecting to being charged with contempt of court.

I know people who have never been called for jury duty over several decades, yet they called me every 6 months for two years! What gives?

Comment

I was notified just of future jury duty once. I took the letter to my fam doc and he wrote a letter that landed me removed from jury duty/selection listings. Reason; I am on multiple insulin injections every day and also need to eat on schedule etc. That was years before my MS Dx.

Jury duty is an important part of citizenship, however in my community everything is corrupt. I have ZERO trust in our "system" , I know far too much about the people behind closed doors, smoke and mirrors to trust anything any so-called official espouses. Juries are bought and paid for in some cases, same goes for prosecutor and judges to allow the (flush w/money) guilty go free and innocents get convicted of pretend crimes for profit etc. Having done some forensic work in the past, I learned a lot more than I ever bargained for.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Interesting thread! I had only been called to jury duty once for the county, and have lived in the same state/county for all my 51 years! That is until this weekend.

I got called to federal jury duty, in a city 60 miles away for the entire month of August! I work full-time, so I don't really feel I can pull the MS/disability card. I did let them know I was on vacation until Aug. 5th, because that could be an excuse.

And on one of the questions, I said I had MS and fatigue can be an issue. So I think I was honest without being whiny.

Truth is, I don't want it to interfere with my vacation, but it would be nice for my boss to "miss all that I do for him" because I have to go to jury duty.

My month of August looks like this! Week of Aug. 6th, train teachers from 8-4 every day, week of 13th, train teachers 8-4 every day, week of 20th, train librarians a couple of the five days, last week, be on call for every little software glitch the teachers have throughout a district of 11,000 and make sure everything runs well for them!

Jury duty doesn't sound too bad!
                          Brenda
                          Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Yes, and I didn't need a dr note. I showed up for the first cattle call where they eliminate most of the people, told them I have MS and they let me go!

I don't recommend this but I know somebody who had no legit reason to not take part.... so he told them that he was predudiced, which he's not, but it worked!
                            Jen
                            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
                            X