No announcement yet.

Do you drive while wearing your AFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am in a different country but when i firts started using a below knee caliper (the more solid metal leg iron) it did have some ankle movement but just prevented sideways movement- anyway it was my gas foot so i went to our equivalent of the DMV and re did my practical test and was passed- my liscence was endorsed to say itwas OK.

then later i had that leg amputated and wore a below knee amputation on that leg- i had to be re assessed, including being able to do an emergency stop. When i started to find that leg was getting fatigued when i was driving i decided to look into hand controls- it meant being retested again but if you go through the official testing and have DMV approval then if there is an accident you should no problems with insurance etc as you have the DMV documentation that you are safe to drive- i would not want to take the risk without being reassessed- i also let my insurance company know as hand controls are a modification- by the way, any one who has problem driving with standard controls, don't be scared to consider hand controls - i went out with an instructor a couple of times to give me confidence but it really did not take long to adapt and i can remember thinking that it was less fatiguing than working with a below knee caliper- i know here there are OT's who specialize in helping the disabled drive and woriing out the best adaptations and i am sure you would have similar- i have met a lady who was a thalidomide survivor and she had no arms or legs, just "flippers" that came straight off her torso and she drives independently!!

if you have be assessed by the relavant authorities you should be OK but if you just hop in our car and drive, get into a simple accident, you may find the insurance companies won't help, and won't cover you

Comment

Working...
    X