Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are strangers but are there any friendly MS people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are strangers but are there any friendly MS people?

It seems that mostly everyone is afraid today of strangers

Nowadays, very few MS folks even want to try to be friendly to others in the same local area.

Why don't they want to associate or even go to or start new support groups?

Is it because we are so sad & depressed which makes us be unfriendly & withdrawn from others?

Just because we have this disease don't let it keep you from living your life?

I've been trying to recruit mobility impaired people to try and be acquaintances or possible platonic friends without any success at all.

is communicating with a stranger really that scary?
    MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Hi there and sorry you are having trouble connecting beyond MSWorld. I joined an MS support group in my area a couple years back. I was reluctant at first, thinking that people would be (as you say) "sad and depressed" and complain about this and that.... And was I wrong! My group is a hoot to be around And of course, just like here, some people just need to voice their concerns and rant with others who understand, but that's part of living with MS as in all others areas of our lives.

Have you tried reaching out to your local support group that is already established? I found this link for you for the support groups in Maryland http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neuro...rt-groups.html

Give them a try - You might be as surprised as I was! Good luck to you!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Honestly? I'm too busy. I'd love to occasionally commiserate with fellow MS'ers over a coffee, but I've got too much going on.
      Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I'm in north western MN. Like Seasha, I joined our local group a couple years ago. They (we) are a friendly group and it is an enjoyable hour, social and informative. We laugh a lot.

I hope you will find - or start a group that meets your needs.
        Karen

Comment

THANKS

Thanks to all of you that have replyed...

I have attended a couple Maryland MS support meetings...but they where very far from my home...a very long bumpy ride on the MTA Mobility vans...is worse than a trip to a restaurant with no accessible mens room

Most do suspend their summer meetings--so we either have to wait till Fall or ?? hope a friendly local MS'er contacts me or we physically meet or intersect somehow.
          MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Comment

I would also be interested in a group, I however do not have mobility issues at the moment. I do love Baltimore harbor though.

I hope that you find the group that you are looking for. It sounds like fun.

Comment

OK...THEN LETS MEET DOWN THERE

I was down to the Baltimore inner harbour a couple weeks ago...I have access to a couple tokens that gives 4 people free access to tour the ships-museum down there.
              I was able to tour the USS CONSTELLATION top deck by using a lift and ramps...it was a good tour.

Comment

More power to you , MSMOBILIYMAN. You have a great spirit. I am from PA but I also think that the Baltimore harbor is a nice place to be. My cousin was on the staff of the National Aquarium, there. It was nice day trip for me several years ago. I don't get around much anymore. Good luck

Comment

no energy when i work 7 days a week. maybe i will be able to do something else if i live long enough to retire. i only earn min wage. no money and no energy.anyway.

Comment

hey mobilityman i will try out the suppliments mentioned in the thread by seasha? ithnk thats wht i read... maybe i muster some energy to do somethin other what is mandatory.

Comment

I've actually met quite a few people from this site in person. We used to have get togethers. I've been to several locally, a few in Ohio, a couple in Michigan, and one in Florida.

Tom
                      "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
                      - Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                      X