Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings

Hello everyone.

My name is Casey, and I'm a 21 year old college student (22 in about three weeks). I'm studying Psychology in hopes of studying neuro-psychology when I move on to graduate school. I have a loving boyfriend, and I live with him, along with his parents. They don't speak much English, but they are as sweet as can be.

As for why I'm on this thread...I'm in sort of a waiting stage. My life has gotten a bit complicated recently and I've been really stressed out. I've been having weird symptoms for a few years actually, but my parents never took me to the doctor. My mom told me it was "all in my head" and that I "just wanted attention".
    Two weeks ago, I ended up losing feeling in my right hand and right leg. It started with a tingling sensation, then I couldn't feel half of my hand or the bottom of my foot/ankle. I was rushed to the E.R. because they (student health services) thought it was a stroke, and the E.R. took a CT scan. Nothing turned up. They wanted to do an outpatient MRI after I told them a few other symptoms, such as pain in my left eye, dizziness, and extreme fatigue. The tingling is still in my hand, and my leg feels like a dead weight. I hobble a bit when I walk because of it. My boyfriend's father offered me his cane, and it made me almost cry (it was a very sweet gesture, since his back is injured).

I've noticed that I have trouble taking hot showers, and this past summer, I almost passed out numerous times playing tennis with my boyfriend. I tried to bring ice water and keep myself cool, but I kept getting this woozy sensation where I would have to sit immediately or I was going to fall and hurt myself. We ended up changing to evening tennis when the weather was cooler.

My throat has been acting up as well. It feels like there's something near the back of my throat, but no matter how much I try to swallow, it doesn't go away. I have a hard time getting things to go down properly, and I've had to slow down my eating. The doctors have already checked my heart and lungs for problems, but didn't see any that were apparent.

Anyway, I had my MRI done Wednesday night at around 6 p.m. and am waiting for my results. It was a brain MRI with and without contrast. (The IV was the worst part. It was my first MRI, but when they were inserting the IV, my vein burst and they had to use the other arm...not as gruesome as it sounds, just very uncomfortable)
    Anyway, the MRI technician sounded a bit worried and told me to contact my doctor/health services by Monday to check in with them. I called, but nobody would answer me...so I called the hospital today and asked them if they had sent the results over. Turns out they hadn't sent them at all and it was a good thing that I had called. This is finals week, and I'm going home Saturday. I do not have a general doctor, I do not have a neurologist, I only have my campus health services. So, in other words, I have college nurses that I am relying on to interpret my results. This seems a bit dodgy to me, but I hope all goes well.

I have four finals this week, starting tomorrow (Wednesday) and I can hardly focus. Occasionally, along with the strange weakness/tinging in my right arm/leg, I get this sharp pain that only lasts for a few moments before going back to the weak/tingly feeling.

I don't know what's going on, but the E.R. doctor suspects Multiple Sclerosis. There was a series of questions, but I do not remember them all.

I would ask the hospital for a copy of the MRI report (and a CD of the scan if they'll do it for free) and ask for the ER report on your visit. Take them home for winter break and try to get in to see your parents' primary doc, or neuro if they have one.

Best of luck...
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Thank you for your input.
      I could try to get a copy near the end of the week. I do not live with my parents, however. Even if I did, they don't have insurance, and we are not on great speaking terms.
      I have insurance through the school (mostly paid through loans) and have no primary care doctor. I have never actually had a primary care doctor.
      It seems quite difficult to find a doctor who is accepting new patients when you don't know where to look. I'll see if health services has any ideas, because I am limited to find someone inside the network of my insurance.

Comment

Working...
      X