new to the site and to Ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to the site and to Ms

Just diagnosed two weeks ago. After having optic neuritis and having what i thought was carpal tunnel for the last two years. I'm just turned 30 i have four kids ages 1,3, 6&7. The older two are both adhd and have other learning disabilities. I also have add. Now even though I'm on adderall and rock stars every day i can barely get anything done. I need a new neurologist. The one i have basically said you have ms this is the medicine you need and sent me on my way. No explanatexplanations or anything. I am lucky however to have my husband. His best friend rowing up his mom had ms the worst kind. My husband helped his friend care take care of her AS A TEENAGER!!! Who does that?? So needless to say i have a very understanding husband. But i feel alone still i am a very social person and have lost my energy..on.it's just starting to hit me today the gravity of it all.

Welcome. Sorry for the reason. You have a lot going on, and expect it to take some time for your diagnosis to sink in. Try not to compare your MS to your mother in law's MS, everyone's is different.

You are blessed to have such an understanding husband. Give yourself some time to soak in the news, try not to be a superwoman if possible. It is hard I know with small kids. Mine finally grew up.

Ask questions, read, and hang out here, you are amongst friends.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I can understand how you feel . I'm now 42and Have a 22,20 and 15 yr old. My first sign happen 17 years ago . I went to the Dr. cause my eyes would go black I couldn't see anything but black not even shadow of anything. It only lasted 5 minutes at a time, and only happen a couple times a week for 6 weeks approx. and never to return as of yet. the Dr . ck my thyroid and sugars, all came back find . the Dr. told me Anxiety. I had other signs before Dx. in 2011 just before My 41 st Birthday . My two older children also have ADD. They both need meds and only one will take it . I can't make them take it,cause of their age. I know life is easier if they take it. I two have a wonderful Husband of 16 yrs. He is 17 yrs.older than Me and people would ask me if I knew that some day I would be a care provider for him. I did realize it,but It didn't matter. We are happy He loves me and the three kids even the two which are form my first marriage. Now he is the one that will end up doing the care providing. I'm blessed to have him as you are to have yours. I find it hard to keep up with the kids,especially my youngest. She is a freshman in high school. She is involved in so many things. I can still work at this point , but it take all I can do to put supper on the table at the end of the day.Yes my husband does help some nights with that but he work 10 hr days and he needs down time too.

Comment

New to the Site and MS

Hello to you,

My heart goes out to you as you come to terms with your diagnosis. To be honest, when I was "officially" diagnosed 5 years ago,...I decided to work through it and not let it change me. In time, bear in mind that I am older than you and potentially more advanced, it did change me and continues to. I did go through several emotions along the way, notably grieving for the old me and anger. What I am saying is that I had not expected these emotions which came years after being diagnosed. Be kind and be patient with yourself through it all. Your husband, like mine, will be your best ally, and kids,...well, they will deal with it all the best they can, with your help.

I am not the same person, but perhaps (hopefully) I have become a kinder and even more compassionate person. The only advice I have is to accept the "new" you as you evolve - however that will be with kindness and understanding. I am new to posting on this site and have discovered that so many people are taking our journey (really good people). Allow yourself to be the woman, the wife and the mother that you are today and the one you will become. Oh and oddly enough, when I can I use humour. If I loose my balance I will say to my family - "hey, did anyone else feel the earth rotate just now?" or my hubby will smile and say "you been drinking again?" and I will wink and say "yup all day!"

Comment

Working...
        X