Blue Giraffe...I have a question for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All

Well, I am now a proud owner of my 4th baclofen pump...

My procedure went well, from what I have been told...LOL

It was an adventure, but I didn't know all the info. My surgery started early. My Medtronic rep wasn't there. She was able to read my pump after it was removed. We think we have my dose correct.

Then I made it to recovery. Recovery is a nice place with great people. However, I didn't get to my room until 7 hours after I arrived...They did give me ice chips.

I go back to see my neurosurgeon & pump dr on July 22.

I am wearing a binder & have a little pain. It is nothing too uncomfortable. I am all ready getting a little antsy.

Take Care, Bob

FYI: I probably won't be horseback riding until September. This is due to the farm being closed the last 2 weeks of August. I also know that the farm won't let me ride until I get a release form my neurosurgeon...I will be visiting the farm about once a week until then.

Comment

Good to hear Bob! Congratulations

Did they leave the catheter alone?

Comment

Hi Blue

Yes, they left the catheter alone. It is the same one since 1999.

My neurosurgeon did make a change to my pump pocket. I showed him that the pump was flopping, so he made the pocket smaller.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobOP View Post
          Hi All

Well, I am now a proud owner of my 4th baclofen pump...

My procedure went well, from what I have been told...LOL

It was an adventure, but I didn't know all the info. My surgery started early. My Medtronic rep wasn't there. She was able to read my pump after it was removed. We think we have my dose correct.

Then I made it to recovery. Recovery is a nice place with great people. However, I didn't get to my room until 7 hours after I arrived...They did give me ice chips.

I go back to see my neurosurgeon & pump dr on July 22.

I am wearing a binder & have a little pain. It is nothing too uncomfortable. I am all ready getting a little antsy.

Take Care, Bob

FYI: I probably won't be horseback riding until September. This is due to the farm being closed the last 2 weeks of August. I also know that the farm won't let me ride until I get a release form my neurosurgeon...I will be visiting the farm about once a week until then.
          Hey Bob,

Glad to hear your surgery went well.

I'm so phobic about pump movement (having had mine move before) that I wear a binder most days. Not a very heavy one, just a lightweight one that fits over the area the pumps at.

Your catheter life is remarkable. So much nicer dealing with one incision instead of two. My new rep (can't remember what his name was) said they had a new and improved catheter. The folks at pumpsters swear the older catheters (ones that have been in for many years) didn't have any issues, then it seemed lots of people were having catheter issues, and maybe now with this new and improved oe that will go back to being the case,but you definitely have one of the "reliable" ones.

I think the horse riding would be a good thing to put off for awhile .

More pain might have to do with them altering the pocket.

Sorry you're getting antsy, but sure you'll be "back in the saddle", literally, soon.

Comment

Hi All

Well, my dr says I have been a great patient. I got my staples out on Tuesday...Not sure how many...20-25..a little painful but it wasn't bad.

I also got my pump checked to make sure they got my dose right...It was. I should no better than to doubt my Medtronic rep.

We have scheduled my first refill for September 30. That is early. However, my pump dr is out of town in early October...The other concern is that my pump was moved closer to the middle & maybe even deeper than before. I will be doing an x-ray before the refill. This will show Dr Abel where is the pump is.

I am sure things will be fine...Also, I am already back to work.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobOP View Post
              Hi All

Well, my dr says I have been a great patient. I got my staples out on Tuesday...Not sure how many...20-25..a little painful but it wasn't bad.

I also got my pump checked to make sure they got my dose right...It was. I should no better than to doubt my Medtronic rep.

We have scheduled my first refill for September 30. That is early. However, my pump dr is out of town in early October...The other concern is that my pump was moved closer to the middle & maybe even deeper than before. I will be doing an x-ray before the refill. This will show Dr Abel where is the pump is.

I am sure things will be fine...Also, I am already back to work.

Take Care, Bob
              Hey Bob,

Glad to hear your surgery and recovery went well.

I had staples too, I don't remember having them in past surgeries, but I know you said your incision was larger this time, and mine was too, so maybe that's why the staples. (I even had the dressing stapled in place over the incision and then a big piece of Tegaderm over that.) I think he was determined to keep the "bugs" away from the incision site this go.

It sounds like you go for refills at about the same intervals I was, but due to last couple upping of dose, I've been going every 2 months. So at my refill this week they informed me they'd be going to higher concentration next refil. and then I should be able to go about 6 months between refills. I think they upped BG's concentration awhile back.

It just amazes me everytime they do a refill that they are able to locate the port. I can understand why they'd want to do an x-ray since it's in a different place. My pump's "new home" actually makes it easier to feel/see.

So you're back at work, but are you back in the saddle?

Comment

Hi rdmc,
                Yes, my concentration was upped early on after my first couple of refills because I have the smaller pump. I have been very happy I can long before a refill is required.

Think you will too!

Comment

Working...
                X