just an encoraging word to everyone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just an encoraging word to everyone.

hello. im only 34 and ive gone through the whole worrying of the unknown and unanswered questions about this ssdi stuff but i can say that in the end ive witnessed that the medical documentation of everything does not lie and ultimately (although in some cases can be such a struggle) will result in you receiving the benefits that you are due.

my case was that i applied online with the help of my social worker in my neuro's office and only in about 3 months i got a request to go to ssa's dr and about 2 weeks from there they requested me to go to my local ssa office to provide standard info i.e. bank statements, direct deposit info and ask some questions but after that i would say about another few weeks i received my amount and date of first payment letter.

so my process to a bit over 4 months but i was worried because of my age. now that burden is off of me and i just have to figure out insurance stuff because my amount is to much to get medicaid and i need to see my doctors and receive medications. my advice to you all would be to seek professional free help through local agencies, social workers and ms organizations. im praying that all of you will get through this ok.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement grace4et.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

I'm 38 and my attorney said that I can be denied due to my age so I'm worried. What do they do when you see the ssa dr?

Comment

Hi, wookieland. Well, a decision would not say that the claimant is too young to receive disability benefits. I think that your attorney may mean that there seems to be an unwritten consideration that the younger one is, the more difficult it may be to receive benefits because one may receive benefits for potentially a longer period of time and perhaps younger people should not be disabled (which we know is not accurate).

One's age is considered in Step 5 of the five step sequential evaluation process, if the claim is not approved at Step 3 (considering the Listings of Impairments).

At Step 5, SSA uses the Medical-Vocational Guidelines to determine whether there is other work that the claimant can perform in the local or national economy. Other considerations at Step 5 are one's Residual Functional Capacity, education and past work experience/transferable skills.

Regarding consultative examinations, there are different kinds. There are psychological, medical, vision, etc. Basically, there are standard tests that are done to determine the severity of one's illness(es) and how they can affect one's capacity to work.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
        X