X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone does not have a free medicine program

I just want to post this now and again.

Shared Solutions will either:
    • Help you pay our co-pay (which means you'll be able to use their meds and they will get their money back from the insurance company)
    • Send you to RxAssist, which is a charity that helps people within a limited salary range.
    However, RxAssist will only help you if you make 200% of the poverty rate or less. That means that if you are single, make more than $2000.00 per month (214% of the poverty rate for a single person. More for a family of 4), you can't get copaxone from Shared Solutions or RxAssist.

Of course, copaxone is an amazing medication and they have every right to get paid for it. Also, shared solutions is an excellent, helpful organization. However, the other companies have far more generous charity programs.

If they've changed thier policies, I'd be interested to know. Othewise, people should know.

RxAssist Details:
    http://rxassist.org/faqs/default.cfm#3

I'm so glad you posted this. I can see why some people may think that they are getting it for free . It would seem that way if the copays are being paid and there is no out of pocket fees. Its all in how they word things. For myself I on Medicare helps (drug ) program. My copays are just 1.10 for generic or 3.10 for name brand. So shared solutions program will cover my total cost (copay) and medicare the rest . It a wonderful program. Without it I wouldn't be able to get my meds. Even on the medicare helps programs we're still trying to scrape change to pay for my meds and most the time I go without.
    dx. June 2010 RRMS ,May 2010 SLE
    dx.2007 RA
    my main are meds:Meds:gabapentin,baclofen,norco,copaxone,

Comment

Copay assistance is a great thing for patients. For a drug company, it's a small investment that pays off handsomely.
      Consider if you have a $100 copay each month and that would stop you buying your meds. The drug company steps in and pays you $1200 per year to get $36,000 per year back in payments for their meds. It's a good deal for everyone except the insurance company.
      This kind of behavior is illegal (at least in some states) if you're talking about a deductible for other insurance. If you smash your car, your body shop can't pay your deductible so that you'll get your car fixed in their garage.
      I'm talking about, say someone who works in a company that doesn't offer health insurance. They make more than 200% of the poverty rate (which doesn't go far in some cities), but they certainly don't have enough to pay for meds. Those people can't get any copaxone.

Comment

I my case I have medicare and am way below poverty range as we ( myself,husband and daughter) are living on 870 . a month ( my SSDI and SSI) . I qualified for the doughnut hole program. While are income is so low they pay my medicare premiums and give me low cost medication coverage ( copays) . I'm blessing to have this available to me but which that I could pay it myself. Unfortunately with no extra income coming in even pay 5 or 6 extra dollars to get my meds is a hardship . Sometime need to weight out if getting my meds is worth using the gas in the car to get there.
        Its not always been this bad but right now it is. We would have the internet now if my ex husband hadn't paid the bill this month for our daughter. I'm truly thankful for everything these days.
        dx. June 2010 RRMS ,May 2010 SLE
        dx.2007 RA
        my main are meds:Meds:gabapentin,baclofen,norco,copaxone,

Comment

I guess the problem with me is the high copay I have through my insurance company (50%)....

Comment

From everthing I have seen, Copaxone has the worst assistance of all of the CRABs.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Shared Solutions pays my copay. My own insurance card for prescriptions limits me to use only one pharmacy so Shared Solutions worked with my pharmacy. I pay nothing.

I did not qualify for their $35 program. I am appreciative for the help.

But seriously what is with the outrageous cost increases of the medication? It's just wrong.

Comment

Gracie

My insurance also limits me to one specialty pharmacy for my copaxone. How much was your copay before they started helping you? Do you have a maximum out-of-pocket with your policy as well?

Comment

My copay was $45, until my company decided to change their minds for the "benefit" of all in the company as far as costs, then they raised it to $350. a month.

ALL the MS medications were on the $350 a month section, so I had to scramble to find some help all at once. I do know that the medications is about $2500 more from when I started three years ago.

Shared Solutions actually worked with my insurance and they called the insurance company that I have to use for my prescriptions and that is all I know. No details were ever given to me. Maybe I should find out what they charged the pharmacy for the medication.

Comment

When I first began taking Copaxone in 2002 the "list price" was $985 per month and I paid the full price until I reached my deductible of $6,000 per year. That happened by February or March every year, as I had other expensive prescription drugs as well as MRIs.

By the time I quit taking Copaxone in 2008 the list price was over $3,200 per month. I stopped taking it because that year my insurance had changed to a 25% co-pay, or $800 per month - nearly $10,000 annually in co-pays just for Copaxone.

Yes it is a great drug and the company deserves to be paid for its product. But if the product was profitable at $985 per month, how do you explain a price increase of 325% in just 6 years? I think the explanation is pure greed.

I am glad the company has programs for those in poverty. But for the middle class family asked to pay $10,000 per year, they just won't be able to afford the medication.

Comment

Has anyone worked

any other financial assistance programs for help with copaxone? For example, NORD?

Comment

I received my assistance in the past from Chronic Disease Fund.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
                          When I first began taking Copaxone in 2002 the "list price" was $985 per month and I paid the full price until I reached my deductible of $6,000 per year. That happened by February or March every year, as I had other expensive prescription drugs as well as MRIs.

By the time I quit taking Copaxone in 2008 the list price was over $3,200 per month. I stopped taking it because that year my insurance had changed to a 25% co-pay, or $800 per month - nearly $10,000 annually in co-pays just for Copaxone.

Yes it is a great drug and the company deserves to be paid for its product. But if the product was profitable at $985 per month, how do you explain a price increase of 325% in just 6 years? I think the explanation is pure greed.

I am glad the company has programs for those in poverty. But for the middle class family asked to pay $10,000 per year, they just won't be able to afford the medication.
                          This is exactly where I am, middle class. I have a house, car, and food on my table but I dont have a savings and extra things. I was supposed to take Avonex but my insurance won't cover it and I did not qualify for the assistance program as my husband works FT and I work PT. Now I am being switched to Copaxone and scared to death to see how much out of pocket I will have to pay..it it's 800$ a month I will not be able to afford it yet I won't qualify for assistance so what will I do?

Comment

Sad to say I don't see any solution to our problem nurseMS.

I have heard mention of bills in Congress that would disallow high co-pays (20% - 50%) on expensive biotech drugs like Copaxone but I don't think those have gone anywhere.

The ACA - Affordable Care Act - or healthcare reform act probably proposes some solution but I sure hope we MSers get caught up in the political kerfluffle about "free" care. I do not mind paying a moderate fee for my meds and my care because I am fortunate enough to be able to work, and because my husband has a good job. But like most people, I can't afford $10,000 per year for one medication co-pay.

If the price were still $985 per month, I could afford 25% of that, and if there were a cap on out-of-pocket expenses of $2,000 - $6,000 maximum per year, I could manage to pay that if I knew in advance and planned for it.

As it stands now the middle class is out of luck when it comes to affording these medications.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post

Actually, you may qualify for a program with Shared Solutions where they will pay your deductable. Do the math. If it costs $3000 per month, that's $36,000 per year. They will pay your $6000 deductable to get the other $30,000.

The problem is for people who don't have any drug coverage and are middle class. They can't get any copaxone.

Comment

Working...
                              X