Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malic Acid & Magnesium

Good afternoon all!

I have had nerve pain for over 2 yrs now. I tried Lyrica for a year but it made me dizzier and more out-of-it than I already am.

I tried Cymbalta but had a adverse reaction to it and stopped in 2 days.

I read on this board that Malic Acid and Magnesium can help not only control nerve pain but also help with psoriasis. I have been taking 1200 mg of Malic Acid a day for 2 wks and have not noticed a difference.

How long before I should notice a difference? Also, should I use the Fumaric Acid instead? As I understood it they are pretty much the same. Am I wrong?
    ~Piper - DX'd 2/2010 - Mama, Wife, Working gal

Hi piper:
    Perhaps the safer and wiser thing to do would be to ask for research citations so you can do your own research at the source and decide for yourself what you'd like to do, rather than to start taking supplements and chemicals just because someone on the Internet told you to. That research should also include looking into possible harmful interactions of a substance you want to take with medications and supplements you already are taking.

Comment

I don't think you're taking enough Malic Acid. The (small study) used a higher dose (1800mg+).

The connection here with this trial is validation of the home remedy of Apple Cider Vinegar for Psoriasis, which is high in Malic Acid, as well as apples themselves, which have traditionally known to be beneficial for skin complexion and oral health.

Consequently, Malic Acid is often found in cosmetics and toothpaste. Ask any dentist if they think eating apples are good for your tooth enamel or dermatologist if apples will help clear your skin.

Now, when your consider Malic Acid's role in the Kreb's Cycle - the way the cells in our bodies make energy, and it's relation to Fumaric Acid, things get interesting.

If you do a little research you'll find Fumaric Acid has long been used by dermatologists to treat Psoriasis. Fumaric Acid has also been used for other autoimmune conditions as well, such as Fibromyalgia.

Fumaric Acid Esters, or "Dimethyl Fumarate" an even more refined form of Fumaric Acid, has been sold for years as a treatment for Psoriasis, and is being used in some other autoimmune diseases, such as Lupus. In Europe, Dimethyl Fumarate is sold under the brand name "Fumaderm" by a Swiss company called Fumapharma AG.

A few years ago, Biogen, the maker of Avonex and Tysabri, acquired the rights to sell Dimethyl Fumarate as an MS drug. Biogen has conducted all the required FDA clinical trials and "BG12" is expected soon - it will be a blockbuster money-maker. BG12 is exactly the same drug as Fumaderm for Psoriasis.

It will be a blockbuster because it is a pill which you'll take 2-3X a day and it has higher efficacy than the CRAB drugs and about equal to Tysabri and Gileya, without the toxic risks, like death.

The side-effect profile of BG12 is pretty much the same as taking too much Fumaric Acid (flushing, gastro distress, etc.). If you take too much Malic Acid you also experience the same.

Is Malic Acid good for MS? It would appear so and further support "anecdotal" reports that Apple Cider Vinegar is an effective home remedy for MS.

If Malic Acid / Fumaric Acid (Kreb's Cycle Intermediates) and Fumarc Acid / Fumaric Acid Esters / Dimethyl Fumarate / BG12 are all related, why then do they all seem to have a positive therapeutic effect on MS and other autoimmune conditions?

Why is BG12 more effective than other MS drugs?

I think BG12 is more effective because BG12 causes an increased production of Endorphins after you take it. Endorphins are critical to a proper functioning immune system. Endorphins balance T-cell proliferation - the main issue in MS and other autoimmune diseases.

Endorphins are an outcome of a proper functioning Kreb's Cycle. Endorphins are produced when skin cells are exposed to the sun / vitamin D.

What do people with MS and Psoriasis have in common? Both diseases are found in darker/colder latitudes of the world where people receive less vitamin D, unless they eat an oily fish diet (rich in vitamin D), like Norwegians and Eskimos, who happen to have low rates of MS and autoimmune disease.

Endorphins are hormones that regulate the immune system. MS seems to effect men and women differently because of hormones. People with MS who exercise and get plenty of sun/vitamin D, generate lots of endorphins, usually see MS progress less rapidly or symptoms improve.

People who take Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) for MS and other autoimmune conditions usually report improvements. What does LDN do? LDN causes the Pituitary Gland to over-produce endorphins 2-300% the day after you take it.

This is a pretty big deal for the immuno-suppressant drug industry because the demonstrated efficacy of BG12 seems to indicate suppressing your immune system may not be an ideal approach, especially when you consider the risks. Immuno-suppressant drugs for autoimmune diseases represent a multi-billion dollar marketplace.

So taking Malic Acid, Magnesium, getting adequate vitamin D, exercise, is probably going to help with MS. Anything that boosts endorphin production.

Personally, I'd think carefully before suppressing your immune system dramatically for a long period of time. Evolution gave us an immune system to keep us alive.

Comment

Wow knuckle thanks for the info !!
        Linda

Comment

Working...
        X