Copaxone does not have a free medicine program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
    Sad to say I don't see any solution to our problem nurseMS.

I have heard mention of bills in Congress that would disallow high co-pays (20% - 50%) on expensive biotech drugs like Copaxone but I don't think those have gone anywhere.

The ACA - Affordable Care Act - or healthcare reform act probably proposes some solution but I sure hope we MSers get caught up in the political kerfluffle about "free" care. I do not mind paying a moderate fee for my meds and my care because I am fortunate enough to be able to work, and because my husband has a good job. But like most people, I can't afford $10,000 per year for one medication co-pay.

If the price were still $985 per month, I could afford 25% of that, and if there were a cap on out-of-pocket expenses of $2,000 - $6,000 maximum per year, I could manage to pay that if I knew in advance and planned for it.

As it stands now the middle class is out of luck when it comes to affording these medications.
    I could go on and on about meds and insurance..Ive been so frustrated with the ins co I could scream!! It almost doesnt pay to have a job and insurance and pay my bills as it bites me in the butt...cant afford high cost of MS meds and my insurance wont cover what I need..now Im switching to another med and if I get it covered Im looking at a high cost..so basically Im screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
      Actually, you may qualify for a program with Shared Solutions where they will pay your deductable. Do the math. If it costs $3000 per month, that's $36,000 per year. They will pay your $6000 deductable to get the other $30,000.

The problem is for people who don't have any drug coverage and are middle class. They can't get any copaxone.
      No, I had no problem with the $6,000 co-pay, as it was taken out of my paycheck as $500 per month, pre-tax deduction to the equivalent of my medical savings account. All my expenses were covered 100% once I paid the first $6,000 and since my prescription drug bill ran over $50,000 a year, I considered myself lucky.

It was when my employer changed to a different plan that required 25% co-pay, or $800 per month after tax income, with no cap on the out-of-pocket cost that I got into trouble. That was $9,600 annually for Copaxone, with my premiums and co-pays for multiple other medications so the grand total was over $25,000 per year.

I couldn't afford that, and Shared Solutions was not allowed to assist with the co-pay as that would be "insurance fraud" according to the health plan and to our HR department. Nope, I had to pay the deductible personally or I wouldn't get Copaxone. I doubt Shared Solutions would have paid the co-pay anyway, as between my husband and myself we earn a good income, enough so we were not considered "needy."

So now I have a better job with better insurance but since I have done pretty well off Copaxone the past 4 years I am not going back to those daily shots. You are right, those who are middle class without pharmacy coverage are in bad shape, but so are the people with 25% co-pay requirements and insurance companies who say they have to pay it or else. They might as well not have insurance.

Comment

nursems

do both you and your husband have health insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
          do both you and your husband have health insurance?
          I do not, he does..

Comment

NurseMS

Were you able to get assistance for Copaxone?

Comment

Working...
            X