Hi, I'm new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I'm new

Hi - I'm glad I found this website! I am 55 y/o and I have been living with MS-like symptoms for about 6 months and am in limbo-land. I'm married, living outside of Minneapolis, have 1 daughter who will be a sophomore in college. I have a dog and a cat. I love to garden!

My MRI's have shown a few lesions but all other tests negative. I came in through the ER at that time with tingling on the left side of my body. My neurologist feels it could be a post-infectious type of process (I don't recall the exact name) but as some symptoms are prolonged, it's up in the air. I've been told not to focus on the potential of having MS as it would stres me out too much, but I've come to realize that I'd rather just deal with it and face it head on.

If I don't think about it, it's like I'm trying to run away or that something is chasing me. Also, I've developed migraines with a vestibular component. My main concern is that I will be dx'd with MS as they don't know what else it would be - that will impact my life due to being on meds, etc. So I guess what would change if I was dx'd with MS - I'd still have the symptoms. When I'm active I don't focus on my sx as much. Thanks for letting me vent on my first visit! I saw the message board for limboland people so will check in with their weekly chat.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Welcome

Welcome to MSWORLD! This site has really put thing into perspective for me! I am very thankful to be able to have this support group. I hope you get the answers that you are looking for. In the mean time there are great threads here that you can get lost in for hours! Welcome and best of luck!

Billy
    Leave the Heat and Stress for the birds!

Comment

Hi Ginny and welcome! Go ahead, vent away!

From what I've been reading on the forums, it's seems like doctors are pretty careful not to diagnose someone with ms unless they meet certain criteria.

I'm sorry about the migraines. I hope you can find some relief for those as well as get to the bottom of this mystery concerning your symptoms.

Best wishes.

Comment

Hi..I am also new to this site today xx

Hi everyone what a fantastic site.
        I was DX with MS on Thursday and I am from the U.K
        I found this site at about 12.30 am and I am oh so glad I did.

I had actually came down from my bedroom with a tremendous pain and I picked up my laptop to try to take my mind away from how bad I felt...
        I have never experienced pain like it in my entire life..

The only way I can describe it is it was like someone had their hand inside my chest trying to rip it out..
        I was terrified I thought I was going to keel over there and then..

I had the extreme pain for about an hour and a half I still have it now nearly 7 hours later, but it is now just a dull pain..Can any body tell me is this something that happens with MS as I have never had it before ....Sorry to be so long winded on my first post but it really scared me...xxxxx

Comment

[QUOTE=ginnymat;1414887]Hi - I'm glad I found this website! I am 55 y/o and I have been living with MS-like symptoms for about 6 months and am in limbo-land. I'm married, living outside of Minneapolis, have 1 daughter who will be a sophomore in college. I have a dog and a cat. I love to garden!

My MRI's have shown a few lesions but all other tests negative. I came in through the ER at that time with tingling on the left side of my body. My neurologist feels it could be a post-infectious type of process (I don't recall the exact name) but as some symptoms are prolonged, it's up in the air. I've been told not to focus on the potential of having MS as it would stres me out too much, but I've come to realize that I'd rather just deal with it and face it head on.

If I don't think about it, it's like I'm trying to run away or that something is chasing me. Also, I've developed migraines with a vestibular component. My main concern is that I will be dx'd with MS as they don't know what else it would be - that will impact my life due to being on meds, etc. So I guess what would change if I was dx'd with MS - I'd still have the symptoms. When I'm active I don't focus on my sx as much. Thanks for letting me vent on my first visit! I saw the message board for limboland people so will check in with their weekly chat.

Hello and welcome! Sorry for what you are going through. Migraines can cause lesions on the brain and cause more effects than once thought.

I guess you are torn between paying attention to what you feel is going on, vs not paying too much attention. The mind can fool us sometimes is what I am saying.

I would simply keep a log of changes, frequency and duration. Has your neuro ruled out MS mimics? Is your neuro an MS neuro whose practice is just MS patients? They tend to know more and how to rule it in/out.

Vit D and B12 levels should be checked as well.

Keep us posted..we're here to support you on this journey.

Warmly, Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by alwayslookonthebrightsideoflifexxxx View Post
            Hi everyone what a fantastic site.
            I was DX with MS on Thursday and I am from the U.K
            I found this site at about 12.30 am and I am oh so glad I did.

I had actually came down from my bedroom with a tremendous pain and I picked up my laptop to try to take my mind away from how bad I felt...
            I have never experienced pain like it in my entire life..

The only way I can describe it is it was like someone had their hand inside my chest trying to rip it out..
            I was terrified I thought I was going to keel over there and then..

I had the extreme pain for about an hour and a half I still have it now nearly 7 hours later, but it is now just a dull pain..Can any body tell me is this something that happens with MS as I have never had it before ....Sorry to be so long winded on my first post but it really scared me...xxxxx
            First of all, welcome to this forum. I am sorry for what you are experiencing.. have you gone to the doctor or ER to check it out?

I just want to make sure its not a cardiac issue.
            Do not ignore anything like this pain again. Get it checked out ASAP.

Let us know how you are doing ok?
            Best to you..
            BTW I LOVE your user name!!

Warmly, Jan
            I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Thank you

Hi Jan Thank you for your reply and your advice.Being new to M.S everything is so scary and I don't understand any of it. It is all so confusing I just don't have a clue about it..everything seems to be happening so quickly with me although I was only dx with M.S last Thursday I started to become unwell in August 2012 and my G.P recommended that I have a hysterectomy When I went to see my gynecologist he sent me to have the urinary tract tests which then proved that my bladder was actually holding urine for days and never completely emptying..So I have a catherter bag for life..i was also losing power in the left side of my body arm ,leg and buttock I was the sent for mri's and cat scans which all came back clear.I was sent for a lumber puncture last Thursday and it was then they told me I had M.S.They said I would have a letter sent to me in 2 weeks with the results from the L.P,The consultant told me they could not discuss meds until the L.P results where back..He did ask me if I had any questions and I just smiled and said no..Bearing in mind I had just had the L.P done and was feeling very ill..So he left and i was allowed home...No body explained anything to me or what I have to expect and to top it all I have to wait for almost another 2 weeks before I get the results and my next appointment to see him again and to try and get some proper information from him ..Thanks so much just being able to type this to you is making me feel as though I have someone who is listening to me ..Mary xx

Comment

alotbsol, did the radiologist diagnose you, in X-ray? Before the actual lab results?
                fed

Comment

Hello and Welcome to both of you!
                  When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Originally posted by alwayslookonthebrightsideoflifexxxx View Post
                    Hi Jan Thank you for your reply and your advice.Being new to M.S everything is so scary and I don't understand any of it. It is all so confusing I just don't have a clue about it..everything seems to be happening so quickly with me although I was only dx with M.S last Thursday I started to become unwell in August 2012 and my G.P recommended that I have a hysterectomy When I went to see my gynecologist he sent me to have the urinary tract tests which then proved that my bladder was actually holding urine for days and never completely emptying..So I have a catherter bag for life..i was also losing power in the left side of my body arm ,leg and buttock I was the sent for mri's and cat scans which all came back clear.I was sent for a lumber puncture last Thursday and it was then they told me I had M.S.They said I would have a letter sent to me in 2 weeks with the results from the L.P,The consultant told me they could not discuss meds until the L.P results where back..He did ask me if I had any questions and I just smiled and said no..Bearing in mind I had just had the L.P done and was feeling very ill..So he left and i was allowed home...No body explained anything to me or what I have to expect and to top it all I have to wait for almost another 2 weeks before I get the results and my next appointment to see him again and to try and get some proper information from him ..Thanks so much just being able to type this to you is making me feel as though I have someone who is listening to me ..Mary xx
                    Please feel free to contact me via email if you like, Mary. My address is in my profile. I am at my computer daily. ANd guess what? My first name is really MARY.. all my sisters ( 5 of us) have same first name. Hence the MJan..

Hugs and hang in there

Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Working...
                    X