Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Colostomy for Multiple Sclerosis patients with bowel Dysfunction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a colostomy

For me, it was a positive experience. My neuro referred me to the surgeon. I spoke with an ostomy nurse before surgery and she was in hospital to teach my caregiver [I'm in a wheelchair 24/7], and husband how to change the pouch and she is available for questions or meet with me anytime, 9 months later.

It has changed my life, we can travel again.
    For me recovery was quick and pain free.
    I had suffered terrible constipation, tried everything including digital stimulus. Was difficult needing so many 'false alarm' trips to the washroom, requiring a mechanical lift each time.
    Please talk with your neuro, mine said he'd only recommended or agreed with this option for a couple of patients in his career, luckily I was one.
    Best of luck.
    Laurakim

Comment

multiple sclerosis & col. surgery

ddsandvic I have ms and had colostomy surgery when I was forty
      five; ten years later I had a urostomy..I had a indwelling cathetar and
      my visiting nurse was changing ,found feces in the 'canal' , my son
      happened to come home just after she said "you're going to half to go
      to the hospital, now and boom I was in the hospital.You know the rest
      of it. That's my colostomy tale.
      Haven't had too much trouble with it, other than the wafer coming loose suffice to say only a shower is needed.

What is your colostomy story?
      livelover

Comment

re: colostomy

Did, I have had ms for twenty six years and a colostomy for the last
        nine
        What does your Dr say?
        livelover

Comment

Thinking bout having this procedure

[QUOTE=ddsanvic;1245715]Hi, I am 49 years old I have Multiple Sclerosis. I have bowel dysfunction. I was diagnosed in 1989. In 1998 I started to use the method of digital stimulation to remove my feces it would usually take 20 min or less to be done. In the last 2 years it is taking much longer I have constipation diarrhea fecal incontinence passing uncontrollable liquid flatus. I would like to know if anyone on this forum with Multiple Sclerosis has had colostomy surgery.

I know this thread is old but I wanted to see if anyone was still around. I am having what you have or had. I hope by now you have found peace. I will go to see the Surgeon on 08/13/2015. I hope I can have the colostomy done. I know it's drastic but my options have run out. No feeling and not able to stand for the DS I'm just at a place that I have no life. Thanks for your post as it gives me hope that I'm not alone and this is not in my mind. I will keep you posted.

Comment

I just saw the latest post where you are going to the surgeon tomorrow, please update us on what he tells you. I, too, am considering surgery. Looking forward to your reply. Thank you in advance. Fourtimer [QUOTE=boundtowin;1481422]
            Originally posted by ddsanvic View Post
            Hi, I am 49 years old I have Multiple Sclerosis. I have bowel dysfunction. I was diagnosed in 1989. In 1998 I started to use the method of digital stimulation to remove my feces it would usually take 20 min or less to be done. In the last 2 years it is taking much longer I have constipation diarrhea fecal incontinence passing uncontrollable liquid flatus. I would like to know if anyone on this forum with Multiple Sclerosis has had colostomy surgery.

I know this thread is old but I wanted to see if anyone was still around. I am having what you have or had. I hope by now you have found peace. I will go to see the Surgeon on 08/13/2015. I hope I can have the colostomy done. I know it's drastic but my options have run out. No feeling and not able to stand for the DS I'm just at a place that I have no life. Thanks for your post as it gives me hope that I'm not alone and this is not in my mind. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Updates pls on severe constipation / illestomy

Any updates on this subject ? I have had severe constipation for 30 yrs. I'm to the point absolutely nothing is working. I'm staying so bloated, miserably constipated. It's a battle every day. I can't loose any of weight either (overweight). A dietician said she thinks I'm not getting the nutrition due to the constipation. I feel it from high up in my abdomen all the way to my rectum. I've seen a surgeon & he said he'd do a temporary illestomy bag 1st & see if it helped. If it did ... & if I didn't want to keep the temporary illestomy (can) then he would remove all my Colon !! I asked why. He said that would be all that would help me. The thoughts of entire colon scares me. This is the best surgeon in our town that everyone goes to.
              I have MS , severe back / spine issues. I am able to walk though. I can't continue with this bowel miserable issue. I'd like your input. Does this need its on thread ? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X