Diagnosed in November and scared.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnosed in November and scared.

Hi. In September I went to see my doctor because my left arm went numb in the tricep/bicep area. I was taking a statin drug for cholesterol so he pulled me off of that and said he wanted to send me to a neurologist because he felt there was something else going on with me. I asked what he was thinking and he responded MS. I laughed at him and told him I wasn't worried because I didn't have that.

I travel a lot with my job so I was in Chicago in October and thru the week I had walked thirty miles. By the end of the week my feet were numb and I blew it off thinking I just over did the walking that week. By the following week I was numb up to my waist and having these "episodes" in my arm and leg all on the left side of my body.

I went to the hospital in November thinking I was having mini strokes. They fixated on the fact that I could still walk and blew me off. I left there and went to another hospital because at this point I was scared. The other hospital admitted me and started running tests.

The first neuro I seen told me it was all in my head that there was nothing wrong with me but that he was ordering an MRI of my brain and neck even tho he felt it was a waste of money and his time. The next day he had to come back in my room and tell me they found lesions on my brain and a cluster in my neck but he still felt this was all in my head.

I told the him and the nursing staff he was not permitted back in my room. The next day another neuro came to see me and ordered an EMG and another MRI on my thoracic and lumbar. They found more lesions in the thoracic area. I didn't start taking my meds until January because of fighting with insurance and all that fun stuff. After about 2 months of the meds I stared feeling a little bit better. The numbness all went away at least. After 4 months of meds I went numb on the left side again so my neuro ordered another round of MRI'S. I went to see him the other day to discuss the results and found out I have 4 new lesions 3 on the right side of the brain and 1 on the spine. He told me I have an aggressive form of MS. This disease scares the hell out of me.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi , WOW that sounds like a lot to stomach in a short amount of time. Well Welcome and Hi! . I wish it was not because of the MonSter. I also have a aggressive form of M.S. and I was also told it was all in my head for about 20 years. Right now it is important that you do not let it take over your life completely. I would not say that if I had not already gone through it. Has your Dr. given you steroids for the flareups.
    You may need to check out Tysabri it is the most effective of all the drugs so far but there are some risks. I wish I could type more right now but I am hitting the wall.
    Check out all the subforums you will find tons of help on MSWORLD. Stay Positive. AsK QUESTIONS, lots of knowledge here.

Peace
    Tortis

Comment

Hi tortis and thank you for the reply. my neuro was going to put me in the hospital on 7/9/14 for steroid therapy but he mentioned something about tuberculosis which caught my attention. I work in the medical field and a few years ago I was exposed to tb so I test positive for the ppd skin test. He ordered a chest x-ray the other day although I've never had a positive x-ray but it's been a couple of years since my last one.

I didn't quite catch the connection between tb and steroids because I had so many others things going through my head the other day but I need to read up on it I guess.

He ordered all the blood work and if my jc virus comes back negative then we are going to go ahead with the Tsyabri.

My family of course are dead set against this medication because of all the negative stuff they've read but I on the other hand am like "Heck yeah when do we start"?

Comment

I´d like to email you privately- can you put an email contact in your profile temporarily and I´ll send you a msg.?

Comment

Hi again Michelle. I was pretty out of it yesterday and I still am. Real high humidity here and even the a.c. will not bring it down.
          I was glad to see they were looking at tysabri for you, my test came back positive for the jc virus but my neurologist still wants me to go on it as I have been getting worse every day but it is still a big decision. I am pretty sure I am going to do it since now I am on nothing except steroids when I have a really bad flare.
          As to the steroids they lower your immune system so they probable were afraid to turn the tb on. Just guessing I am not a dr. The steroids did save my life, I had a Balo lesion 2.2x2.2x1.8 centimeters not millimeters and it still was expanding and it stopped from the steroids.

Actually the tysabri will lower your immune system also but you must decide this not your family. Go on the tysabri sub forum and post to them, they helped me a lot when I was first deciding.
          Well I am hitting the wall again but stay positive and I hope your jc test comes back negative.
          PEACE
          Tortis

Comment

Temagami...I'm not sure how to turn my email on...lol

**Email address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

As a newly diagnosed person, you should have your vitamin D levels checked. Low vitamin D levels correspond with a worse disease course.

You need normal levels for a person with MS, not the general public. One more thing - the vitamin D in a gallon of milk would not be enough - it's added to the milk and there is only enough to prevent rickets.

This is from a prominent Seattle MS Clinic
              http://www.swedish.org/services/neur...ent-info-sheet

Comment

BigA,

I did go and have my vitamin d check last week and my levels were 34.2.

My neuro got the level from my pcp who said they were normal but my neuro told me that wasn't good enough for someone with ms and so he upped my dosage. He told me my levels need to be between 50-100.

Thanks for the info.

Michelle

Comment

Working...
                X