need some advice about handicap vans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some advice about handicap vans

I am looking to get a handicap accessible van, but I need some advice about what to look for and what to avoid. Any help with this matter would be wonderful. Thank you all ahead of time.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

The thing I mainly looked for was how the ramp operated if for some reason you should loose power to it, some brands have a hand crank for it, I purchased a Braun mobility van as it is very easy to lift the end of the ramp up and once it is past a certain point it goes the rest of the way on its own. Something else to think about depending on if your in a scooter or wheel chair are 2 things 1. a six way seat that allows you to turn the seat so its facing towards the rear of the vehicle to transfer easily and 2. leather seats to make the sliding for transfer easier. mine also has a power inverter in it so I can plug my scooter in while driving and it will recharge the battery.

Of course you also need to find a brand that has a full service dealer near you as the manufacturer (dodge, Honda etc) will not do repairs on the modified portions on the van and as with all vehicles you will have some problems over time with the portion of the van.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

We bought a use Chevy Uplander van. Luckily, some factory warranty still remained. Head gasket blew after 3 days; no charge from local dealer, from whom we did not buy the vehicle.

Our vehicle is for WC transport. Wife, who has MS, does not drive. We have a manual ramp. For us, better, as I think there are too many mechanical-electrical issues with vans that have automatic ramps, or those that lower themselves. I suspect this even more true for those who live in states which use lots of road salt during the winter.

Big issue/question for any side-access van is the ease and ability to change WC orientation such that the person in the chair can sit viewing forward. There is NOT a lot of room to turn/twist the chair 90 degrees from point of ramp entry.

Second, if it applies, I would review the type of floor-clamp locking system for the WC. Some are very inconvenient; others, less so.

Overall rule of thumb, IMO, is to buy a van with fewest electric-high end accessories. More stuff...greater difficulty to diagnose and fix basic electrical/mechanical issues.

Comment

If I were buying an accessible van...

I'd buy low mileage used. There seem to be many available on the market.

I'd buy a Chrysler over a Dodge and a Toyota or Honda over both.

I'd buy a side-entry over rear-entry,

If money is no object, I'd consider a factory installed system from Toyota Mobility.

Or that new MV-1 which is probably around the same price as a new Toyota Braun conversion.

I'd also seriously consider buying an older F150 conversion wheelchair van. You can sometimes find one at a real bargain and though they're larger than a minivan, less fuel efficient, they're bigger inside. F150s last forever and are cheap to maintain. You can get some pretty nice customized versions.

If you google: Honda Element Wheelchair or Ford Transit Wheelchair or Scion Wheelchair those are interesting solutions as well.

Comment

Handicap vans

I have a horror story when it comes to getting my first accessible van. First of all if you use EBay do NOT allow the seller to take off of EBay, make sure to take to a reputable place to confirm the vehicle is as stated. I did not do either of these thing and ended up with what I call my van from hell. I have had to hire an attorney to attempt to get my money back.
          The good news is I got a second accessible van. If you are going to be driving yourself as much as automatic things have more problems they are a necessary evil. I ended up going to a local reputable mobility dealer for my second van. I got a 98 Dodge Grand Caravan with automatic door, in floor ramp, transfer seat ( best thing and so needed) and hand controls. Low miles and approx 12,000 dollars.
          PM me if I can be of any help etc. before my van when my mobility was better I drove a Prius had a lightweight scooter which I was able to load into the trunk then walk to the drivers seat. It had hand controls and I loved it! There are a lot of good options based upon your needs!
          GG

Comment

ended up getting a caravan. I have not used it yet as it does not have any insurance coverage until tomorrow when the insurance agency opens. Just in looking at things in entering and exiting the van, I am very excited. It seems like it is going to allow me to do much more.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

Comment

I take that back, it is the Chrysler equivalent to the caravan. It is side entry and it is low mileage.
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

Comment

Great news and best of luck with the new van!!! Hope it proves to be everything you want and need. And that it finally gives you some freedom!

Please update us later about your likes/ dislikes about your van. Maybe that will help someone else who winds up in the market for a handicapped accessible van?

Happy trails to you ...
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
                  If I were buying an accessible van...

I'd buy low mileage used. There seem to be many available on the market.

I'd buy a Chrysler over a Dodge and a Toyota or Honda over both.

I'd buy a side-entry over rear-entry,

If money is no object, I'd consider a factory installed system from Toyota Mobility.

Or that new MV-1 which is probably around the same price as a new Toyota Braun conversion.

I'd also seriously consider buying an older F150 conversion wheelchair van. You can sometimes find one at a real bargain and though they're larger than a minivan, less fuel efficient, they're bigger inside. F150s last forever and are cheap to maintain. You can get some pretty nice customized versions.

If you google: Honda Element Wheelchair or Ford Transit Wheelchair or Scion Wheelchair those are interesting solutions as well.
                  You mean E150 I think and yes they are one of the best vehicles ever made. I have owned 3 of them (non WC) and they are great vehicles.

The big issue with almost every mini van is they generally share their engine and transmission with a smaller car. This means the transmission is normally a weak point so that is something to consider beyond just gas mileage and space.

Comment

the F150van though bigger rides like a truck so it is a rougher ride and if you have back problems like I do you feel the bumps where as a minivan rides like a car much smoother ride

Comment

Ford is no longer making the E150 as of last month.
                      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

New mobility van is awesome. MV-1. Wow
                        Nothing is Impossible.......

Dx'ed in 1988
                        Founded MSWorld in 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Milhous View Post
                          the F150van though bigger rides like a truck so it is a rougher ride and if you have back problems like I do you feel the bumps where as a minivan rides like a car much smoother ride
                          Sorry but the E150 rides smoother then any mini van I have ever been in and I have back problems.

Comment

hi..
                            If you already have a van, so it is better to get a new van you can convert your van for handicap. Many companies provide all these facilities and you can change your van according to your need.

Comment

Mobility issues

I am looking for some advice. I would love what I call "independent mobility". I use a walker which is fine for short distances although it is a bit tough for me to get in and out of the trunk of my car. The walker is about 11 pounds so don't think I could lift anything heavier.

I know that soon, if not now, I will need a motorized scooter. Is it possible that a scooter can fit in the trunk of a car (a BMW 5 series)? I really don't want an accessible van. Is there a scooter that breaks down into sections that can fit into a large trunk and is not too heavy? Am I just dreaming here and hoping for something that is not invented yet?

Thanks everyone and feel well. Appreciate your advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X