Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about disability in ny

hi,

My question is, i applied once when first diagnosed, got denied.

so, now i've been trying to work, cut my schedule back, yet i bill for ft because i do alot of paperwork. i'm a mental health counselor.

so my question is how is someone supposed to survive while they apply? apparently you can't work at all while your applying, which would mean quitting my job, loosing my health insurance etc.

i've been told get an attny also will be easier. problem is i get through my days, still walk on my own. yet the pain at night keeps me awake, so i get minimal sleep which adds to daytime fatigue. i've also gone from rrms to spms.

thanks!
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Five years ago I left my job at a mental health center, I took STD, then LTD. I was able to live on LTD while I applied for SSDI.

I had ins for 6mos or so then no insurance. My neuros office at a hospital charged me 1/2 at each visit.

It is challenging but can be done. I would speak to your ms neuro as you will need his/her support and records to submit to SS.

Good luck

Comment

hi

thanks for the response, how'd you do that? i told no one at work, it's a fairly new job, been there a bit over a year.

I work in the field everyday, in home crisis counseling stuff.I'ts just right now when I look at what I make, compared to what i'd prob get from disability there is a difference yet not only by 900 a month.

I'm just trying to look at it from a logical standpoint, i know i'm pushing my body way too hard trying to keep up with the daily run of things, bc as i'm sure you went thru there are other things in one's life besides work.

i'm just so nervous to make that jump at this point,plus it's a mental thing also i think. so, you went from short term disability to long term disability to float a bit while you applied?

now, don't you have to have on record the reasons why you suddenly "can't" work. i try to take minimal time off, and always lie ofcourse when i need a day bc i dont' want anyone to know the reason why.

thanks again!
      Jen Dx'd 5/11
      "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Since you are new to your current job, you should be aware of the 2yr exclusion for a pre existing condition in LTD policies.

LTD claims can't be denied for a pre-existing condition once you have met the 2yr coverage anniversary date from the policy effective date.

If you can maintain employment until you meet the LTD 2yr exclusion period, it may make all the difference for you financially.

Also, if you have STD coverage, there are no pre-existing exclusions. Your claim will pay for the 6mos?
        STD coverage even with a pre existing condition.

However, STD claims/benefit payments made before the LTD 2yr exclusion date will result in a LTD claim denial based on pre-existing condition.

Best of luck..

Comment

I had worked in human services at the same agency for 10 yrs so I was able to take STD then LTD. I was unaware of the 2 yr period.

Good luck and take care

Comment

can work

I have heard that you can make a $1000 per month. That is not usually sustainable employment. But, only SSDI can answer that.

I had to go all the way to a judge. I had the still working against me, I was young, and was working on my masters when I quit working. A lot more job opportunities for that level.
            God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
            X