Hi! Guess it's time for a proper intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi! Guess it's time for a proper intro

I'm Shelby. I'm 49, in the Tampa area, and the widowed mom of two amazing college-aged kids. And I'm in MS Limbo.

My neuro has pretty much ruled out all the mimics but in order to get the official MS diagnosis, rather than just probable MS, she had scheduled me for an LP and evoked potentials. Just heard from the insurance company on Friday that my copay for the LP is more than a week's worth of pay so I won't be doing that. We'll see what the out-of-pocket for the BAER, SSER and VEP is and then I'll decide about that. (I'm almost kind of glad that the LP is a no-go, honestly, there was a 50% chance that the doctor doing it would be the one on whose table my husband died and that freaks me out a little.)

So, after a lot of research here and in some medical journals, I'm cleaning up my diet, losing weight (11 lbs so far; I packed on pounds after Rich died), adding D3 (doctor recommended as my level was 29), acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. I'm working exercise into the mix as well to keep strong as much as I can.

I'd like to have the definitive diagnosis but there's a limit as to how much time and money I can spend to get there. I think the things I'm doing are helping; yesterday was my best day in ages. I overdid and am paying for it today and it was absolutely worth it.

Anyway, HI from Tampa and I'm really happy to meet you all. The generous and giving supportive community here is a beautiful thing to find!

Shelby

Oops

I mistyped. My vitamin D was 21. I'm on 2000 IU of D3. And my MRI shows 2 lesions, in the periventricular white matter of the right frontal lobe and right parietal lobe. Not enough to meet McDonald, I guess, which is why the neuro wants more testing.

Comment

Welcome, tuesdayschild! So glad to meet you! Some of my family live in Tampa and I feel for you with all the heat and humidity (I hear about it all the time )

I'm glad you're done some research and have improved your diet and lost weight (yahoo!). With that and exercise and supplements, you are gaining on your overall health. Your Vit. D level seems really low, however. You might want to check out Tara's nutritional forum (under the Wellness Room) to see what others say about Vit.D.

Keep us informed about your diagnosis. We have all gone down that path and wish you well!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

WELCOME TUESDAYSCHILD!!!!! So glad you have found us, but sorry you had to. It sounds like you have taken your health into your own hands (some of it anyway), and you are already seeing some great results!

Sorry about your husband. You may be interested to look into limbo island that minivanmama posts every week in the limbo Landers and newly diagnosed forum.

Good luck to you.
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
        X