Hi all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all

My name is Susan and I was diagnosed in 1992. I was originally diagnosed as remitting relapsing, but the diagnosis was changed to secondary progressive in less than a year. After a short period of rapid progression, to the point of needing a wheelchair, I had very little progression for 10 years.

In 2003, I had another period of rapid progression brought on by some other health issues. I have recently lost the use of my hands, which has been worse than losing the use of my legs.

The good news is I have an amazing husband of 25 years that has always been there and a great support system from the rest of my family. They have made dealing with this bizarre disease so much easier than it should've been.

I try to keep a sense of humor and count my blessings every day.

Hi Susan

It's nice to "meet" you. I'm so very sorry that the disease has done as much damage as it has to you but, oh, how it gladdened my heart to read about your husband and your family!

I cared for my husband through a 15-year progressive illness until his death and humor and family support -- and of course love -- were our mainstays. Gratitude for the little things is something I try to practice every single day.

Thanks so much for introducing yourself. I'm a Limbo girl myself but we're getting closer all the time!

Shelby

Comment

nice to meet you. I am sorry you have lost the function of your hands, i can only imagine how frustrating that would be. i am limited at times because i get spasms with sustained activity with my hands but even so, i can pretty much do what ever i need to.

i have been chair dependant for over 17 yrs, which is before ms, as i lost a leg and developed chronic pain syndrome. at the time i lost my leg a friends husband lost an arm and shoulder to bone cancer and it struck me back then that while problems with walking are frustrating, the nature of hand and arm function is so complex that the loss of this ability would be so much worse!

i am glad you have a supportive family and husband that must help a great deal and i hope that the community here just adds another layer to that support

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld, Susan!! Glad you found us, but sorry about the loss of your hand use. Is it severe loss or do you have some function? Have you heard about the "Dragon Naturally speaking" program for use for the computer? I just saw that on Amazon it's on sale for $30 - down from $100! Some of our members here use this when it's too hard to type.

I hope you find lots of friendships here and come back often to visit with us.

Give you husband a hug (or high 5) for being such a champion!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

WELCOME SUSAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad to have you here, but sorry why. That is great that you have support!
          I was diagnosed in 2000 and in 2006 I started using a wheelchair and am now in it 24/7. Once again, it is great to have you here! Good luck
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thank you everyone for your nice welcomes. This seems like a great website for the understanding and support of people that know what you're going through. I'm so glad to be part of it.

One of you suggested, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and I'm happy to say I purchased it several months ago and I love it!

For anyone struggling with the use of their hands, I highly recommend this program. It makes the use of your computer completely hands-free.

Again, thanks for your welcomes and I look forward to being part of the community

Comment

Hi Suzq, nice tio 'meet' you and welcome.
              Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
              X