New, but not new...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New, but not new...

Hi everybody! My name is Rebecca and I have dxd since Jan. 2010. I have been a member her for sometime now, but have never posted that I can remember. I am trying to get more involved in my own life, I guess. I am tired of being sad, depressed, and all the other "bad" emotions. I think jumping in and making friends will help. Please feel free to respond, I am not good at jumping in...

About me: I am 28 years old and live in "Central" Pa. I moved here in Nov 2009 to be with my boyfriend..2 months later I was dxd. My family and friends are all still in Ohio, where I am from. I no longer work and have not met ANY new people here. My boyfriend is a great person, but doesn't seem to wanna believe MS affects our lives as much as it does... He will do anything for me and on a scale 1-10 on supportiveness I would give him an 8. He will do most anything for me, no matter what the reason (MS or not) but he is "uninterested" in gaining knowledge about MS and if often like having a child to me... Most of the time I feel lonelier than I have ever been... I just need someone to talk with.

Hi Rebecca, Welcome to MSWorld! It isn't easy to step outside of yourself and talk to new people is it? I understand. Most people that know me would say I'm not shy, but they'd be wrong! LOL

Sorry you have to be here, the site and people are great, the reason? Not so much. Have you checked into a local support group? They can be helpful to you also.

Comment

hi Rebecca

Im new here too and for much the same reason as you-- been depressed and sick and tired of bein sick and tired for too long.Its easy to just go with it and isolate yourself i know. My name is stephanie, im married (my husband sounds just like your boyfriend as far as ms goes ) im 44 and have three grown kids- no grand babies yet-- my grandson passed away last year -that was SOOO hard, still is . I was diagnosed at age 25 so i ve been around the ms block a time or two haha. I live in Kentucky, was raised in Ohio and moved here 12 years ago. Its been really hard to get out and make friends.. and i live about 25 miles in the country from the closest town. Anyway, its nice to meet you and i look forward to talking with you

Comment

Welcome

Hi Rebbeca and stephjh....sorry you have a reason to be here at your young age.....
        A good thing to know is there has been such progress in the treatment of MS in the last 25 years..when I was diagnosed there was no treatment. They have now made such progress, a cure is coming..hang in and stay positive
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Hello Moon and Steph...

Moon, I think i've seen you in the chat room ?

Steph... Where were you in Ohio ? I have lived in Cincy, Cols and Cleveland areas but now live in Nashville...

I love the area but the heat and humidity has been killing me since '03...

Anyway.. good to see ya'll

Comment

To Susan ...

Susan,

How are you being treated ? I am curious as to what symptoms are improving..

Thanks

Comment

WELCOME REBECCA!!!!!!! Great to have you, but sorry why. This is a great place for support and you should come and ask as many questions as you can. Where in central PA are you? I''m just aouth of Erie, PA?
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

to MikeonABike

Hi..I've been on Betaseron for almost 18 years....I used to have definite relapsing/remitting sxs such as not being able to feel my feet, numb from the waist down, using the wall to walk straight,etc..I remember one incident going to lunch with coworkers and a friend said.."ahh Susan, do you know you're dragging your shoe?" It had come half way off and I couldn't even feel that!

That was a good 20 years ago....currently I have few sxs...walking a far distance without a shopping cart (LOL)is difficult, but I have done Disneyland!...I am so grateful to 'function' as well as I do, I drive and babysit my 3 and 9 yr old grandkids ..

I do encourage anyone to start one of the medications available..I believe that's why I'm better and not worse
                Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

It didn't last long

It seems so long ago when I made this post. Mid June I went to Cincinnati, Ohio for a friends wedding and stayed for 6 weeks! I didn't feel so lonely anymore. At the end of August my fiance and I went to Florida to visit my dad, whom I had not seen in 10 years! I was good for a little while, but once home... I was yet again alone. It is not November and I have experienced so much stress I am depressed and almost hopeless. But not fully hopeless yet. I am going out tomorrow to join a gym and start focusing on myself. I may meet new people one day but that has not happen yet. I have recently been having physical issues due to my MS, so I am hoping a gym helps. For those who care I am near the Ephrata area in PA. I often go to Cincinnati and Dayton in Ohio to visit family. I am going to make a BETTER effort to connect with fellow MSers. I really feel that is what I need!

Comment

Rebecca,
                    Great decision- to join a gym! I am at the gym six days a week. I have quite a few friends there.
                    Are you on any medications for MS?
                    I was diagnosed with MS at the end of August 2012. I'm on Betaseron.
                    Karen
                    Karen,
                    Part time Registered Nurse
                    Diagnosed 2012 just started Gilenya Jan. 12th, 2015. Formerly on Betaseron for two yrs

Comment

Moon and Rebecca -- GymRat is right. I am 74, have had MS for over thirty years--R/R 10 years and then SP.

When other docs said NO, my Neurologist encouraged me to exercise. I began slowly about 15 years ago. First a reclining exercise bike. Then light dumb bells and light weights on machines. The gym owner helped me, but people with MS have to find their own way.

In the winter we are in South Texas. My husband and I workout there--So many friends for 5 months.

Then we go home to an isolated ranch and I haven't been able to drive for 7 years. I know lonely. But we turned our dining room into a gym with used reclining exercise bike, bench with leg lifts and leg curls, and a crunch bench and lots of dumb bells. And my husband exercises along with me.

I can't begin to tell you what a difference it makes. It does wonders for depression, I read or watch TV when on the bike. My neuro says I have the strongest muscles of any p0atient he sees. He sees a lot--is head of an MS Clinic in Dallas, TX. If they ever can remyelinate nerves my muscles will be ready to go.

Comment

Yes

I am on Copaxone and Solumedrol IV even 2 months. I did not make it to the gym yet, but I own a Treadmill and have thera-bands and dumb bells for exercise at home. I have been trying to stay onto of getting on here and at least go to the chatroom a little each day. Talking with others help me with my depression.

Comment

Rebbeca and Stephjh, I joined after this thread was started but wanted to pop by and say Hi anyway.

Please know that you are not alone in your depression or frustrations about loved ones who are not interested in even trying to understand.

Until recently, when I was finally diagnosed, I thought sometimes that maybe I really was what many people either said or alluded - crazy. I've been fighting horrid depression pretty much my whole life, along with a host of physical symptoms I am now pretty sure can be put down to MS. But even now that I have "proof," most of my family still actively refuses to even try to understand.

That you are not getting the needed support from your own spouses is horrible. I wish they were open to becoming educated about MS and the many affects it can have on our daily lives. Unfortunately, you can't force someone to do so (would that we could!), but I hope for all your sakes that changes at some point.

In the meantime, I hope you can find much needed support here. Sending you both Hugs!

Comment

Working...
                          X