Lesion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesion question

I recently had an MRI at the emergency room. About a week or two later the copax nurses called an when I told her I had been told I had two or three new lesions, she acted like it was a real possibility that I might be taken off copax. I assume for something stronger like tysabari, but I am not positive. Anyway, last week I had an appt w/ my neuro and he said it was ok.

So I guess the question is how many lesions is it normal to get in a year? It was almost a year to the day since my last MRI. I know people alway say location, location, location, but if you get a bunch in a year, surely the location is just a matter of time?

Thanks in advance!
    You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Originally posted by alishape View Post
    I recently had an MRI at the emergency room. About a week or two later the copax nurses called an when I told her I had been told I had two or three new lesions, she acted like it was a real possibility that I might be taken off copax. I assume for something stronger like tysabari, but I am not positive. Anyway, last week I had an appt w/ my neuro and he said it was ok.

So I guess the question is how many lesions is it normal to get in a year? It was almost a year to the day since my last MRI. I know people alway say location, location, location, but if you get a bunch in a year, surely the location is just a matter of time?

Thanks in advance!
    It's a great question, but unfortunately you've asked a question for which there is no answer. There is no "normal" or accepted amount of lesions that would suggest to your neuro to change meds.

My first neuro used to say, "I treat the patient, not the MRI"...in other words, it's not necessarily how many lesions you have, but how are you doing?

I've posted this link all over this board, but I'll post it again for information sake. The man in this study had 24 MRIs in one year (ugh.) Then they put them together in a time lapse sequence...and as you'll see, he has lesions coming and going, which says that an MRI is just a snapshot of what's really happening in our brains at that particular moment in time. The interesting part is, the gentleman who subjected himself to the study, reported no relapses, and no symptom change, even though you can clearly see from the animated MRI series that he was having a lot of activity.

Here's the link:

http://www.msdiscovery.org/news/news...more-meets-eye

Comment

Working...
    X