Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Question

Hello Everyone!

My mother and younger brother have both been diagnosed with MS. I think I am starting to have symptoms that could be MS related. I have trembling in my legs and hands, numbness in my legs, headaches, back pain all the time, eyes twitching. I am not sure if I should make an appointment to start the process to rule MS out. I know the odds of having MS goes up if a parent has MS or a sibling. I am not sure how that goes up if both a parent and a younger brother both have MS?

Thank you all!!!

Originally posted by jaysta98 View Post
    I have trembling in my legs and hands, numbness in my legs, headaches, back pain all the time, eyes twitching. I am not sure if I should make an appointment to start the process to rule MS out. I know the odds of having MS goes up if a parent has MS or a sibling.
    Hello!

I'm sorry about your mother and brother, but with "back pain all the time" I think you should be looking into mechanical spine problems (which are very common) before you worry about MS (even if you may have an increased risk, it's still not common). And all the symptoms you list can be caused by an out-of-whack spine...

Mechanical problems can usually be fixed or at least improved through PT, etc., and I can say from much experience that they can share a lot of symptoms with MS. I have a great physiatrist for my mechanical issues, and he's the one who sent me to a neuro (and my eventual MS diagnosis) after he determined that some of my symptoms could not be mechanical.

I really think it would help to see a physiatrist before you try to jump to an MS conclusion. This link tells all about physiatrists' training and emphasis:
    http://www.aapmr.org/patients/aboutp...ysiatrist.aspx
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I would definitely start with your PCP and be sure to emphasize that your Mom and brother have it.

Hopefully you don't have MS but I would want to be put on the fast track to rule it out first based on your family history.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Among those who post here, I am probably one less concerned than many about the genetic risks of MS (no one else in my family ever had it). But all of my kids know that if they ever develop neurological symptoms that could be MS, they should see their doctors right away and let them know their mom has MS and to consider MS when evaluating their symptoms.

If a parent has MS, the child has about a 3% risk of developing MS, 97% won't. It might be a higher risk if there are multiple family members with MS. So I'm with JuleA, I'd want to be on the fast track to diagnosis and to start treatment sooner rather than later.

Comment

Just a word of caution, before you seek a diagnosis or explanation for your symptoms, make sure your insurance is in order.

Once you get an MS diagnosis, you will not be able to get life insurance, or disability insurance, so if have the means to set those things in order, I'd do it before you visit the doctor.

Comment

Working...
          X