Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sequence of events in losing leg sensation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sequence of events in losing leg sensation?

I've had MS for 13 years.
    Over the past 2 months I've experienced either a relapse or the beginning of significant loss, here is the sequence of events:

1st symptoms: What felt like bug bites or feathers touching my legs
    2nd symptom: Numb feet, top only and slowly progressed to the bottom of the feet too
    3rd symptom: Numbness creeped up to my knees
    4th symptom: Skin is extremely sensitive to the touch (can hardly shave my legs it feels soooo uncomfortable and sharp)

My question is for those who have lost sensation in their legs, does this sound like your situation at all? I mean what is the sequence of events for losing sensation in your legs?

I hope its just a relapse, but over the last 4 years any losses I've experienced have remained, none as big as this though.

Stupid MS

That is very similar to my progression of MS in my legs, except the extreme sensitivity, I have nothing like that. I do have mild aches and pains in my feet and ankles most of the time, but I am used to them and don't really notice them anymore. The numbness in my legs is taking years to progess, but it is happening.

Comment

PRose, the worsening of symptoms in such a relatively short time certainly sounds like a relapse. Have you decided not to try to treat your flares?

Comment

I'd say probably a flare. Don't read any further if you're easily worried and want to stay perky.

And please remember, what's happened to me probably won't happen to you.

I've had MS for 15 years. Last proper flare was probably three years' ago.

It started like yours - tingly feet, working its way up my legs to just below the knees, then numbness and then a lovely limp.

I'd only ever had sensory symptoms before. I took the 'roids, which worked but it came all came back and never went away.

Indeed, it's only got worse. I have "foot drop", can't feel my left side, can't really walk and I can't stand up for long. I'm guessing I'm SP, but you can't get a neuro to call it.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the information.
          Yes the 2 month onset does feel like maybe a relapse and every July I usually get ON, so maybe my body wanted to change it up a bit.

As I suspected and based on the two responses though this is a possible 'normal' sequence of events towards progression.

A new symptom has introduced itself in the last week, a tightness, like my legs are in a clamp, but the good news is the terrible pain that I usually have in my legs is almost gone as it gets replaced by the numbness there are only faint aches and the odd 'nerve bite' (that is what I call it)

Comment

Follow up

One more thing, re: treating flares

I am not on any DMDs (hard choice, but the best one for me) and I am curious about what treatment you may be referring to? I have had IVSM for ON but have read its not as effective for leg stuff, please tell me what you know around treatment?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PRose View Post
              I have had IVSM for ON but have read its not as effective for leg stuff, please tell me what you know around treatment?
              Where did you read that it's not (as) effective for leg stuff? IVSM is the standard treatment for a significant flare affecting any part of the body. Did you not call your neurologist about this flare because you thought steroids wouldn't be helpful because it's your leg? I had partial transverse myelitis that affected both of my legs. i had the standard IVSM treatment and I was back to normal in about 3 weeks.

You don't have to have steroid treatment if you don't want to. But it would have been an option if you had wanted to try to shorten the length of your flare.

Comment

Hi PRose,

What you are experiencing sounds like Paresthesia. Abnormal sensations which are perfectly normal when having MS.

Is it a relapse...very possible.

Steroids may or may not help Paresthesia. It depends on you and your neuro if you use steroids for this, some neuro's will not prescribe steroids for Paresthesia, some will.

Steroids used for these symptom might simply be a temporary solution as Paresthesia can come and go or resolve on their own.

4th symptom: Skin is extremely sensitive to the touch (can hardly shave my legs it feels soooo uncomfortable and sharp)
                I have dealt with very sensitive, painful skin sensations. Mine has encompassed my entire body. Pain that is caused by anything touching my skin (clothes, socks/shoes, sheets, blankets, a gentle hug, ect.). This is painful enough to bring me to my knees in tears

For me, this is part of a relapse.

2nd symptom: Numb feet, top only and slowly progressed to the bottom of the feet too

3rd symptom: Numbness creeped up to my knees
                I dealt with numbness off and on. I have also dealt with being numb from the waist down, including girlie parts, 5 different times.

what is the sequence of events for losing sensation in your legs?
                For me there is no sequence of events. Sometimes this happens due to a relapse and sometimes it's a "come and go" type of issue.

Paresthesia doesn't necessarily indicate progression. It would probably be a good idea to talk to your neuro.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hello PRose,

I had a flare that started with my feet getting numb and it gradually move to my legs and stomach. I had IVSM for five days. The numbness subsided after a few days but I did have PT at home to get some strength back.

I did get back to my ms normal.

Please talk to your neuro and I hope you feel better soon.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

The top of my foot became numb, then it worked its way up until 1/2 of my body, except for my arm, was numb. Where the numb/normal areas met, there was an inch or two of skin that was incredibly sensitive to anything and hurt to do more than touch. The numb areas registered hot as cold and vice versa. I think this took about two weeks? It was 2010, so awhile ago. The same thing happened about 6 months prior, only it stopped at my hip so we thought it was sciatica. Oops.

This was part of the flare that got me diagnosed. It has completely reversed itself and I have no residual weirdness from it. I hope the same for you.

Comment

It took about 7 days to go from normal legs to numb and burning to my waist. This was almost two years ago and I never regained my old "normal", if I didn't have meds for the pain I'd be In a straight-jacket by now. I am still quite strong so there is that to be thankful for!

So, I say treat any significant leg symptoms aggressively. If both legs you may have a cord lesion forming?
                      RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

PRose

Not, all flares are created equal. Meaning not all need or should be treated with IVSM. When you have ON you must get treated. When you have that creeping numbness...I would have steroids immediately.

I had the creeping numbness in 2005. They wanted to put me on steroids when it got to my knees. I said no...I would wait it out. It creeped into my hands and fingers. When the flare was over, my thumb and two fingers no longer worked on my predominant hand, and it feels like the tips of them are burned. Lots of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy. I still can't use that hand, and I lost my ability to run or jog. It is permanent. I regained my mobility, but have to use a walking stick for any distance.

Please go see a Neuro, and try to knock it out.
                        Katie
                        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                        "My MS is a Journey for One."
                        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I am primary progressive, I have diabetes, and raynauds. So I am not sure who is to blame. The loss of sensation started as,

#1) gait issues
                          #2) my legs became fatigued very easily
                          #3) I went from a cane to a walker and finally to a wheelchair.

I don't no it this helps you or not, but good luck either way.
                          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                          volunteer
                          MS World
                          hunterd@msworld.org
                          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
                          X