No announcement yet.

What I've learned in 5 months of injections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so grateful for this thread! I start it tomorrow. I was seriously worried until this thread- I've reacted negatively to three other DMDs, but now I'm starting to get pumped for my first injection. I've planned a small movie party around it, since my husband will be working. Hopefully it will be a cakewalk!

Thanks for all your input- I am so relieved to have read this thread. Cheers!

M

Comment

Hi everyone there are some really great tips here! I've been on Copaxone for just over 3 months and I'm still scared to use anything but the autoinject. It's working for me so I guess that's what counts. It's interesting that the itching stops around 4 months for some people. I hope so because my arms drive me crazy with itching. Even itch cream doesn't help!!!

Comment

Bruising with Copaxone

I know that I've read the answer to this question somewhere here but can't find it. What can I do to avoid bruises at my injection sites? Some (my thighs) bruise and some don't. Also some itch (stomach) and some don't. It's crazy!

Comment

I noticed that it hurts much less if I give the shot manually and DON'T use the injector.
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I was also trained not to rub the injections site and was told that if I injected it manually then I should inject it at a 45 degree angle. Now I am confused on whether to rub it or not.

Comment

Ice!

Originally posted by kim-mastro View Post
              I know that I've read the answer to this question somewhere here but can't find it. What can I do to avoid bruises at my injection sites? Some (my thighs) bruise and some don't. Also some itch (stomach) and some don't. It's crazy!
              Whether or not you inject manually or with the autoject, the best ways I have found to minimize/eliminate bruising are:

1. Apply ICE for several up to ten minutes immediately after injection.
              2. Do not rub area. Just apply pressure with cotton ball or tissue for about 5-10 sec., then apply ice.
              3. Prior to injection, make sure syringe has been at room temp.
              4. Take syringe (capped) and rub between hands for about 10 seconds to warm up fluid. Then inject.
              5. Don't scratch if itching afterwards, apply ice and/or let it be, it should go away shortly.
              6. If you bruise a day after injection, apply Arnica cream. It helps speed up bruising. You can find it online or any health food store.

Every body reacts differently, but these tips I learned from Shared Solutions.

Certain body areas tend to bruise easier too. Thighs especially. So find the fattiest appropriate section in each area to inject.

I have been on Copaxone daily for over seven years with no issues, Praise God. But talk to Dr. Or call nurse at Shared Solutions if it's not improving for you.

I had bruising in my thighs when I first started taking it, and the ICE and these tips worked like a charm! Went away after about six months.

To this day, if the med isn't at room temp or I don't pay attention to where I inject, I'll get a bruise or itch. But I have learned to talk- and thank!- my body and medicine for getting along, and I kid you not- when I prepare it (by taking and listening) for the injection, works seamlessly. Yes, true!

Whatever works... Hopefully the hints above will help. Blessings!
              There is always a rainbow!

Comment

Working...
              X