It appears that your MSWorld session has not been initiated or has expired. To renew your session, please click here, then click 'Logout' on the right hand side and log back in again.

Go Back   MSWorld Forums > MSWorld Message Boards > Medications & Treatments > Tecfidera
Register FAQ Calendar Guidelines Mark Forums Read Login

Tecfidera For discussions regarding Tecfidera (also known as BG-12)

Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Increased insomnia on Tecfidera?

So I've noticed that it's taking me longer and longer to fall asleep at night. I'm unsure if tecfidera is the cause and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I've always been an insomniac, but mine generally goes in cycles, and now it has been every night for the past couple of months.

I'm finishing up my 2nd month on Tec and am mostly doing well. I've had some improvements (cog fog is nearly nonexistent) and in some ways I feel worse; legs feel weak even though they aren't, occasional GI issues and flushing. I'd call it a draw when it comes to better vs. worse. For the most part I feel pretty good and if it comes down to me only getting four hours of sleep per night against painful shots and flu for months on end, I'm going to stick with the lack of sleep.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

This is a odd coincidence. I never connected the two but I am having a rash spell of insomnia as of late. Due to my work schedule I got an amazing 2-3 hours last night. This seems to be a trend now that my dosing is close to when I should go to Bed. Is your dose schedule on the later end of your evening as well?

Rebif 04-06, Denial 06-07, Rebif 07--9, Copaxone 09-13, Tecfidera 13-?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Not really, I take mine about 7-8 and got to bed around 10-11.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

MAGNESIUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by football-mom View Post
So I've noticed that it's taking me longer and longer to fall asleep at night. I'm unsure if tecfidera is the cause and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I've always been an insomniac, but mine generally goes in cycles, and now it has been every night for the past couple of months.
Don't know if your insomnia is still an issue, but a friend of mine (without MS) has been taking magnesium supplements at night specifically for insomnia and she says it has helped her immensely. She also has issues with constipation and the supplements have helped what that.

Hope our GI issues and flushing have subsided with Tec and that you're noticing improvements.

Bree
Old 04-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

I've been having insomnia, and it's got to be the Tecfidera. I've NEVER had problems sleeping, generally my issue is staying awake. I'm going to try to the magnesium!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Interesting. I just started 240 today. I've been having unusually vivid dreams. I'm enraged in most of them. My neuro is changing my bedtime Xanax to Clonopin as it is longer lasting.

She isn't sure if it is due to the Tec or my new lesion :-(
[I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

I too have had problems sleeping in recent months (I've been on it since last May.) They have recently cleared up, thank goodness, but it is something to think about.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

To update, I'm now four months in and the insomnia has settled down to my normal range.