Myelin regeneration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myelin regeneration

For a short burst on myelin regeneration using stem cells, see the following link:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...e&print=true:D

Great Article. I just loved reading it. Thanks for the share. Keep updating.

Comment

Re-myelination

Great article,
      thanks for sharing. I've been researching elements required for re-myelination and found Mayo clinic's Moses Rodriguez's research in this area with great success. one of Rodriguez's patients, a lady in her 80's, was suffering from a de-myelinating disease (not MS). After some time she starts improving on her own. Further blood tests reveal the formation of a new natural human antibody called rHIgM22 which triggers the precursor oligodendrocytes (OD) to form myelin. Further testing in mice proves total remyelination within 5 weeks when this antibody is present. Definitely the stem cells from younger species help enhance the multiplication of the precursor OD, but the other elements referenced in the article reference, is whats needed to close the loop.

So my understanding of this process is that There is a limited window of opportunity after formation of MS lesions that precursor OD cells can transform into mature, ODs that can recreate myelin. They are dependent on an acute state of inflammation induced by the immune system, to deploy the proper antibodies using T and B cells !! If this window of time is exhausted and the lesion falls into a chronic state of inflammation, the OD precursor cells will not transform and attach to the axons, although still present in the lesion area. The debris that were mentioned in this article you referenced definitely get in the way: The reason is the negative effect of PSA-NCAM neural cell adhesion molecules that are present at this stage in the lesion who are responsible for down-regulating myelin formation ! (assuming the myelination has already been done at the acute state).
      There are natural human antibodies that are capable of removing/disabling the PSA-NCAM cells that have the proper receptors to do so, who are missing in MS patients and present in healthy people : rHIgM22 is the most potent and resilient one found by Rodriguez.

This antibody is proven to fully penetrate the blood brain barrier, and transform deep into the lesions ! MRIs from mice have proven this in an FDA approved lab environment. Once the PSA-NCAM is removed, natural myelination resumes. The clinical trial PH I needs to find the proper dosage of this antibody to be administered to humans.

Rodriguez is an immunologist, and a neurologist.
      So we need the immune system to deliver the right antibodies through the BBB to the CNS.
      now imagine even if we have the right antibody, our currently prescribed MS medications are going the wrong direction : stopping the immune system from performing the right process through accute inflammation, and BBB penetration !

Accorda is sponsering this research and IND will be filed in March 2012. Clinical trial will be following soon.

This is very promising,

Best,
      Shah

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
      For a short burst on myelin regeneration using stem cells, see the following link:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...e&print=true:D
      Dream as if you'll live forever
      live as if you'll die today

Comment

Nice

Mesenchymal Stromal Cells (MSC) from bone marrow or stomack fat (Adipose) are the smallest (50nm wide) and can cross the BBB, repair the damages to myelin and axons and make the microglial immune elements floating in the CNS to become self tolerant. This is the basis of the SCT as operated in Israel by Professor Slavin. if these tasks are successfully accomplished at 100%, then its a cure. The data so far is far behind 100%, but very effective in people with early stages of MS. Unf ortunately there is no way to monitor the SC operations in the body, so we are dependent on people's feedback and post MRI comparisons. If MRIs would show lesion elimination and no new activities, then i'm comfortable in calling this a cure. i wish we get there some day.
        "steward"

Comment

Not meant to offend...

Not to make light of something that could be so monumental to all MSers, but when I firstt read your post, Stewart, my brain only connected some of the words. Like stomach fat and brain. So my first thought was, ummm...so now I won't have love handles, I'll just be a fat head!

Some days, my cog fog makes me chuckle.
          Echo
          DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Prof. Slavin was supposed to release results of his stem cell studies. That was in 2009 or 2010. Haven't heard anything about it. My doc said numbers were not good. They have to do a new study. Anyone heard anything different?

I hear alot of patient testimonials, but no study numbers.

Comment

Stupid Question...Need clarification

Sorry; it's past my bedtime and I need to get off of the computer. I just wanted to clarify something first. Where are these stem cells coming from???

I've heard about using your own stem cells or a donor's adult stem cells being more effective than those of aborted fetuses. When I first heard of stem cell therapy, it seemed like it was based on using stem cells from aborted fetuses.

Is that what this current topic/research is based upon? Not trying to stir up an argument by any means; just that I have a personal moral issue with using embryonic stem cells. I just wanted the clarification (without "stirring the waters").

Help??

Comment

readingteacher,
                There are stem cell treatments being done in several clinical environments. Dr. Richard Burt, at Northwestern University has done stem cell replacement using the patients own stem cells. Same goes for the hospital at the University of Heidelberg, where George Goss was treated. Dr. Slavin in Israel does a stem cell treatment, I am not sure what it entails. You can find all of this info on the web, as well as the named persons. Especially on 'You tube'.
                I don't think you are asking stupid questions, but if you have some opinions about fetal stem cells, don't drag them into this. This is about saving lives, not about 'aborting' them !

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                  readingteacher,
                  There are stem cell treatments being done in several clinical environments. Dr. Richard Burt, at Northwestern University has done stem cell replacement using the patients own stem cells. Same goes for the hospital at the University of Heidelberg, where George Goss was treated. Dr. Slavin in Israel does a stem cell treatment, I am not sure what it entails. You can find all of this info on the web, as well as the named persons. Especially on 'You tube'.
                  I don't think you are asking stupid questions, but if you have some opinions about fetal stem cells, don't drag them into this. This is about saving lives, not about 'aborting' them !
                  Thanks for all of the great information, Jerry. Believe me, the LAST thing I want to get into on here is any type of debates. I'm just not really very "read up" on the topic; that's all.

Comment

stem cell sources

I've seen two sources and they're both from your own cells: bone marrow and skin. I read something about skin cells being used in a few years and I thought, hey perfect! Non-invasive and wait a minute, I've got LOTS of skin cells. I am literally covered in them. In fact, as I get older I seem to have more and more. Imagine: a face lift, tummy tuck, hey doc use these skin cells because they're extras.
                    It's a win-win situation.

Comment

ROFLMAO, Aqua10. I've got lots of "extra" too!

Comment

A stem cell question

Originally posted by Aqua10 View Post
                        I've seen two sources and they're both from your own cells: bone marrow and skin. I read something about skin cells being used in a few years and I thought, hey perfect! Non-invasive and wait a minute, I've got LOTS of skin cells. I am literally covered in them. In fact, as I get older I seem to have more and more. Imagine: a face lift, tummy tuck, hey doc use these skin cells because they're extras.
                        It's a win-win situation.
                        I have my children's stem cells banked, and presuming that one or both are a good match for me Does anyone know of a Relatively successful stem cell treatment? then is available in the US?
                        I banked their stems cells in the hopes that it would become a viable treatment for my MS, also for them in the event anything should happen. The last time I actively did a lot of research on stem cell treatment for MS was probably close to 10 years ago so, my information is somewhat antiquated.
                        That's cool though that they can extract some stem cells from your skin, i did not know that so, thank you!
                        Pardon any typos, I am the re-training my speech program.

Comment

Working...
                        X