Am I overreacting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I overreacting?

I work for a support center that works under government contracts. One of the requirements of the job is to take the on-call phone 1 week about once every two months. The last time I had the phone, my latest flare started up. (And its been a doozy... worst yet in 1 1/2 since dx.)

This time I had the phone, two days into my week, I landed in the ER. Both times either my boss or a co-worker ended up taking the phone because I obviously couldn't keep it. It keeps me up all hours of the night, and either caused my flare, or made it worse. I had to talk to my boss (who is aware of my dx, and has been very supportive and understanding up to this point) about the fact that I can't continue to take the phone. I offered to take the 'one-weekend a month' we have to cover because of contract requirements, so that my co-workers are taking on the extra week, but don't have to work the weekend any more.
    But, yesterday, my boss called me into her office to tell me that she would pull me out of the rotation, but it meant that I cannot be her 'back-up supervisor' (as was the plan) if I couldn't do all of the job. The eventual plan was that once some contract bs was worked out, I would go from her back up, to being the supervisor for half of the team. She said this won't change that, but I won't be her back-up.

So, in the end, the only thing changing, is that I don't get a (mostly) meaningless title. I'll do the same job, and get paid the same, with the same opportunities for future promotion.
    That all being said, it feels crappy and like I should be pissed. She has always said I am great at my job, and my team respects me and comes to me for answers and assistance. I just feel like I offered a valid alternative to the problem-causing POC (piece of CRAP) on call phone, but am being punished anyway.

Please, someone help me figure out if I'm overreacting!!

It sounds like a fair negotiation. If you want to get something -- being pulled out of a stressful phone rotation -- you have to be willing to give up something in return -- being the backup supervisor. All get and no give is not a valid alternative.

It doesn't feel fair because it wasn't your choice or your fault that you can't do the on-call phone portion of your job anymore, and that you have to give up something you don't want to give up because of it. You're being punished for something that isn't your fault. But it isn't anyone else's fault, either. Sometimes life is just crappy, and things that aren't our fault are still our responsibility.

Comment

Thanks for offering the voice of reason. After giving myself time to cool off I realized what I am really mad at: this d@mn MS. Some days I just want this to GO AWAY!

Comment

I just wanted to let you know, I kept my cool and ended up with the promotion anyway. Thanks for the words of advice.

Comment

Yippee! Thanks for the followup. Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
          X