I'm sorry I got sick, but please, take everything I own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry I got sick, but please, take everything I own

I applied for financial assistance on my December MRI bill, and I just found out that I've been denied. Along with that denial, they wanted to make sure I know that if I don't pay the bill outright or set up a payment plan, then they will turn me over to their collection agency or an attorney. Even better yet, they ended the letter by asking for donations to their financial assistance program! Why would you even expect someone to just bend over backward to help your stupid program when the only thing you have done to this person is screw them over left and right!

I realize they're a business and they need money to survive, but I really don't think a financial assistance letter is the best place to ask for your stupid donations, especially as you've just basically threatened to sue the person if they don't pay their bill! I'll remember that if I can become financially stable at some point. If I were to become the richest person in the world, they wouldn't get a penny from me. More realistically though, once I can get insurance that is not affiliated with that place, I'll be severing all ties with that company and finding all new drs.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Sorry you're dealing with that. I didn't even bother applying because I knew that since I am insured, they would not consider me someone with financial need. I have a really high deductible so my out of pocket expenses in November and December were through the roof. It stinks because I really cannot afford the MRI's on an annual basis.

I did try to appeal their denial of coverage on my IV-steroids. In my opinion, it should be under my prescription drug coverage, not nearly $1000 per day. No luck with that either!

Comment

Gosh, this is the part of having a chronic illness I dislike the most! Paying the Bill!!

I am sorry you were denied. But what they told you is simply standard as they are bill collectors and must say all that crap. The best thing to do is get on a payment plan as they will leave you and your credit alone. You can help set the amount, but my guess is that they probably will divide up you bill over 12 months. So be prepared.

Poor.. but not poor enough.. aaah yes, know it well.

Hugs my dear~
      Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I just gave up on getting MRIs. That or food I guess! I go with how I feel rather than what I see on an XRay to get by now. Actually, my method seems to be working...or I've convinced myself as much. Bad enough I can't work anymore, and worse? I have not a fatal disease, but an expensive long-term thingy! I feel your financial pain! Lucky I still have this computer...and this chair!
        Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
          But what they told you is simply standard as they are bill collectors and must say all that crap. The best thing to do is get on a payment plan as they will leave you and your credit alone.
          I agree.

Regardless or unfortunately, getting medical testing and seeing Doctors is no different than any other "service" you get it and are expected to pay.

The medical profession wants to be paid just like any other profession. Not paying or setting up a payment plan will only screw up your credit. Having collections come after you isn't going to be fun.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

You need to become savvy. I've negotiated down costs and argued with hospitals. What you need to know is that you have some power. First and always, contact the MS Society and ask for advice/help.

But here is a primer in costs. Great if you already know it, but I think still good to post here.

I get my MRIs in a top-notch facility in a major city. It's a 3Tesla machine which is the current standard. 1.5T machines should cost less.

My MRI costs $2,401.00 + $100.00 for the contrast. My insurance paid $1,553.40 + $33.00. So their costs are made up retail costs that only poor slobs without insurance pay. So keep negotiating. They'll offer you 10-20% to pay up front, but you can see what a crappy deal this is, don't fall for it.

Bear in mind that you may be dealing with a billing agency that makes a percentage, so they will not care or want to work with you because they will earn less. So call the MRI center and speak with someone there, or go in person. Once you agree on a price, get payments. You can start by sending them in $50 or $100 with the invoice.

Finally, for your next MRI, if you don't have insurance by then, google "Cheap MRI". It sounds like a bad idea, but there are facilities out there that have much lower prices. Again, please contact your local MSSociety for help in dealing with this. They will have some experience and advice for you. Good Luck and keep us informed.

Comment

I can't add anything here but just want to say that I care Istrl. I hope things work out for you. HUGS!
              When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                You need to become savvy. I've negotiated down costs and argued with hospitals. What you need to know is that you have some power. First and always, contact the MS Society and ask for advice/help.

But here is a primer in costs. Great if you already know it, but I think still good to post here.

I get my MRIs in a top-notch facility in a major city. It's a 3Tesla machine which is the current standard. 1.5T machines should cost less.My MRI costs $2,401.00 + $100.00 for the contrast. My insurance paid $1,553.40 + $33.00. So their costs are made up retail costs that only poor slobs without insurance pay. So keep negotiating. They'll offer you 10-20% to pay up front, but you can see what a crappy deal this is, don't fall for it.
                Bear in mind that you may be dealing with a billing agency that makes a percentage, so they will not care or want to work with you because they will earn less. So call the MRI center and speak with someone there, or go in person. Once you agree on a price, get payments. You can start by sending them in $50 or $100 with the invoice.

Finally, for your next MRI, if you don't have insurance by then, google "Cheap MRI". It sounds like a bad idea, but there are facilities out there that have much lower prices. Again, please contact your local MSSociety for help in dealing with this. They will have some experience and advice for you. Good Luck and keep us informed.
                You have great ideas!
                Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X