MS depression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS depression?

Hi everybody. I was wondering how many of you struggle with depression and what your story is. Thanks!

Yes and it seems to get worse every time I have a set back. They just upped my antidepressant again.

Comment

Hi musiclovingmarine and welcome to MSWorld

In the past I have dealt with depression, that was a long time ago. My depression was not related, in anyway, to MS. I have not been on medication for depression in many years and no longer deal with depression.

It's important to note: Depression is depression and anyone for any reason can have clinical depression. It's not "MS depression" it's simply "depression".

Depression for someone with MS is treated the same as anyone else who has depression.

Take care
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I agree with snoopy, depression is depression and needs to be treated regardless
        I am undergoing depression treat right now , and this is before i was told for the 2nd time in 8 years i have likely MS.
        Was depressed beforehand, from very strenuous situations, that I an having a hard time overcoming, MS is just the icing on the top, but by no means the main factor.
        Good luck in finding treatment for your depression, keep us posted.
        God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

yes, I struggle from depression and am in a particularly tough rut at the moment.

Comment

Yes, depressed, but, well, good reason to be depressed. Obviously counselling, probably more than drugs, helps, but I can't help but feel we're allowed a bit of misery.

There is one school of thought that anti-depressants do nothing for MS. My feeling, having taken benzos for a year or so, for tension, stress, muscle cramps, and hey ho, relaxation, it numbs everything.

I think I'd rather feel it,

Comment

yes, I was at an MS meeting one day and a man asked how do I know if I am depressed. I said oh you would know.

I suffer from depression, I take 120 mg of cymbalta and 40 mg of prozac seems to be working ok for right now. I have experienced with many different mixures and this finally works. I can socialize a bit and get out of the house. When things go bad they are really baddddd.

Always talk to your doc. there are things that can help. Even if you just need to talk to someone.

Go to ms meeting so you know you are not alone in this battle.

Good Luck.
              DIAGNOSED=2012
              ISSUES LONG BEFORE
              REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Hi marine,
                I take an anti-depressant every morning. If you have MS and have your life turned upside down by all the things that come along with it, you are probably suffering from some depression. Please don't ignore it. Take it seriously. Get something. A pill, some therapy...something. It will not be any 'cure', it will just be a smidgen of help. Good luck

Comment

Asking about MS and depression is a bit like asking which came first, the chicken or the egg. I think they go hand in hand. Being told you have an incurable disease would cause anyone to become depressed.

Comment

I've been reading the book "it's not all in your head, anxiety, depression, mood swings, and multiple sclerosis"
                    It seems that some depression in MS is different than your regular run of the mill depression and needs to be treated slightly different. In fact, there are some experts that want to add a major depressive episode as a criteria for diagnosis in MS (along with the other evidence of course).

Although there is also the fact that when you are sick you can easily get depressed because of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by wendya432 View Post
                      I've been reading the book "it's not all in your head, anxiety, depression, mood swings, and multiple sclerosis"

It seems that some depression in MS is different than your regular run of the mill depression and needs to be treated slightly different.
                      I had a chance to look at the book you are referring to and did not see anything in it that indicates MS depression is different than "depression."

It needs to be noted depression, regardless of cause, is treated the same way...antidepressants and Psychotherapy.

Although depression and other mental health issues can be common for many with this disease not everyone with MS will deal with depression/mental health issues and not every case of depression/mental health issues is related to this disease, even if you have MS.

Information about depression and MS:
                      http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ion/index.aspx
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Yes, I am currently struggling with depression and in the process of finding the right anti-depressant. I would be interested in hearing what other MSers use for anti's and their experiences.
                        A question- when my dose of buproprion was upped from 100 to 200 I immediately felt a regression and was perplexed.When I looked at the bottle I saw that it was from a different drug manufacturer and I swear that was the problem.Has anyone had a similar experience??

GiGi

Comment

different drug manufacturer and I swear that was the problem

Hi
                          In response to SUNAPEE I think that that generic drugs or even different brands is kinda like buying gas it is never the same price nor is it the same quality from one station to another !
                          needless to say I notice this at times with several of
                          my scrips. I take a antidepressant it took me a year and 1/2
                          to finally admit it and take it.

I was just frustrated with with the way that at my life had changed and i could not do the things I used to do!

So I was always grumpy are just a plan ole !!! Dr says take
                          it It mellowed me out and I guess I just accepted that I have ms .

and no sense in being 1111-off about it ! best drug I took
                          I just live it one minute at a time now and enjoy as much
                          as I can ! dont worry about the rest !

This forum really helped me alot too!

Dave

( DX 07/2010 REBIF 11/2010 - 07/2016)
                          (Copaxone 01/2017 to 03/2018)
                          (Tecfidera 03/2018 to present )

Comment

Depression has always been a part of my life, but it became difficult to control and I developed anxiety once MS took permanent hold of my life.

My psychiatrist explained to me that studies show that there is a higher incidence of depression than in any other disease. Even ALS and cancer. So the thinking is that there is a particular mechanism of the disease that impacts brain chemistry.

I take Wellbutrin and pristiq to ensure that I am boosting the full range of brain chemicals. FYI, many anti depressants only work on a single chemical. Pristiq and Prozac, for instance only boost seretonin. Wellbutrin works on the three that pristiq doesn't so I'm fully covered.

I also take Xanax before bed because once I lay down my spasticity starts to really freak me out.

I was very lucky to find a counselor who specializes in chronically ill patients. She taught me about Mindful Meditation and it has been a huge help to me. I am much more able to cope thanks to meditation.

FYI, I spent two months in an intensive outpatient psych program (it's like being in a mental hospital without staying overnight) because I became suicidal once MS forced me to retire. That's where I met my counselor and learned about mindfulness.

That was about 18 months ago and I still have my ups and downs, but I am able to cope because I learned many techniques to do so.

I encourage anyone with ms and depression to seek counseling, medication and support. This is a *** of a road and you don't need to walk or roll it alone :-)
                            Melissa Goerke
                            [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

Originally posted by musiclovingmarine View Post
                              Hi everybody. I was wondering how many of you struggle with depression and what your story is. Thanks!
                              Every person diagnosed with a chronic illness experiences depression. HOWEVER, with MS it is a "double whammy". We have that depression with the chronic-ness of the NS and each relapse/flare, brings about a "special" depression. It seems like it is hitting us all over again.

Can we all take a "boo hoo" moment? I know I need to, once in a while.
                              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                              X