Ever had an upper endoscopy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever had an upper endoscopy?

So, I posted about possible gallbladder problems, which I still think are the most likely based on my sx. But to be "safe", the gastro doc thinks I should have an upper endoscopy too.

I made the mistake of reading about the procedure, and immediately freaked out! I thought they totally knocked you out!!! I am a wimp, no questions there, and I am terrified, absolutely terrified!

When I had an intestinal hernia some "residents" decided I needed an NG tube, and it was the WORST experience, I may still have PTSD from that one...fortunately a real doc came into the room and said "what do you think you're doing? And get that thing out of her"...I fell in love with HIM on the spot!

This feels like it will be a repeat- tube down the throat, feel like you can't swallow, bleeding, pain, etc... Yes, I know they "partially" sedate you (so they can give you fantastic directions like "swallow") ....no......I can't do this.

Give me an ultra-sound, an x-ray....find the frickin' gallbladder problem, but please don't subject me to this torture.

Okay, I know many of you will shake your heads in disgust at my idiocy, laugh at my lack of toughness (and grit according to my uncle!), but I am a self-proclaimed baby, wimp, freakishly fearful patient, whatever you want to call it!! I just have no business being anywhere near doctors or hospitals, or sickness of any kind! Joke is on me, right?!

If any of you have POSITIVE stories about this procedure, please share! But please don't elaborate on the negative things I already know about myself. My husband says he doesn't know how I made it through 2 C-sections, a hysterectomy, and multiple other surgeries. My answer is "one step at a time, lots of tears, and lots of prayer", which is what I'll have to do now.

After you read this post, please forget about it. I'm normally a pretty nice, normal person, and I don't want y'all to remember me this way!
    Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Easy Peasy

I have had endoscopy several times and don't remember a thing with nothing but a little scratchy throat after. One of the easier procedures by far and it is quick! When I had them done I had coloscopy at the same time so the worst part by far was the cleanse prep the day becore.

The first time the anesthesia was demerol & valium and I was totslly out and remember nothing. Second time I think they used Propofol, I was even more out but a bit groggy after. You get a chance to talk to the anesthesiologist before the procedure so make sure you tell them about your concerns. Or better yet call the facility where you are having the procedure done and speak to the anesthesoologist ahead of time.

My daughter at 15 had an endoscopy & colonscopy (she was Dx with Celiacs) and she breezed through it, she had her dad and myself in stitches talking gibberish coming out of the procedure.

I would be honest with you especially everyone seemed to tell me my LP would be easy and it was horrible, no headache but I lost count after they stuck me 7 times. I would take endoscopy over LP any day.

One quick question, if they think it may be gall stones have they done the specific ultrasound they use for gallstones? Best of Luck - M.
    M.
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

Comment

M...THANK YOU! I can't tell you how much your words gave me some peace of mind! I seriously feel so much better - if I can "feel" knocked out or "out of it" like you talked about, I will be one happy girl! I have to have a colonoscopy in April too, not looking forward to that, but because I've been through it once, I'm not quite as fearful.

To answer your questions about possible gallstones - I was in the ER a week and a half ago with right-sided pain. They did a CT scan, found the problem (infectious & inflammatory colitis...hence the colonoscopy!), but I've been told if I had gallstones it would have shown up on the CT scan.

Unfortunately the two problems seem to be unrelated - so now I'll see the same gastro doc just 2 weeks after the first visit. Sigh! Another visit, another co-pay.

I really do feel ridiculous having posted this...I know so many of you suffer terribly and I feel like I've somehow diminished your suffering by making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone.
      Crystal

Comment

Debby,

Don't ever feel sorry for posting your concerns and worries! That's what we're here for, and what you've been doing for others too.

Offend anyone! Shame on you...

HUGS!!!
        When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Debby, I can appreciate how scared you are/were..so glad you came here to get some reassurance.

I have had about 5 or 6 endoscopy and NEVER felt the procedure..everrr!! Now I wish 1x that they would've told me my throat would feel a bit sore following, but it only lasted one day. Just do not eat rough foods, like toast, rather eat softer foods..you'll be ok

And all the rest of the times I have had them done, I still felt nothing, not even a sore throat. I had them done to dilate (GENTLY) my esophagus first for swallowing problems then secondly for post bariatric surgery.

It really helped me eat better and swallow a whole lot better.

Make sure you tell the doc ordering the drugs or the RN who calls you a day ahead of time, of your fear. A NG tube is not fun at all to go through and yes you are awake for that. It is NOTHING like that trust me.

Whew.. breathe now.. breathe.. breathe.. and relax.
          Hope they get you well and feeling much better real soon.
          Let us know how you are doing.. I'll be thinking of you.

Hugs, Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Carole and Jan...I have to say you two have HUGE HEARTS. You are both always so calm, reassuring and loving, and you "always" make me feel better, even when I'm reading your posts on someone else's thread. Both of you have become very dear to me in your own ways, even though we haven't met in person....how I wish we were neighbors! I could use two friends like you next door, but this forum will have to do!

Thank you for all you do, for me, and everyone else on this board. You are true examples of what it means to live as God would have you live, or the higher power you believe in. My heart is full, and I'm getting teary, so I'll wind this up...but I hope you feel what I'm trying to share from my heart. You both are so.....special.
            Crystal

Comment

I had one two years ago. I always select no drugs if possible as I get bad RLS (leg spasms) from drugs and there was no pain, it just felt a little strange when they shove the tube down and I was a little worried there, but no need, no pain no nothing.

I should add that I had nothing wrong, but no pain or discomfort after and I don't remember my throat being sore either so if it was it was over quick.

I hope yours will be like that as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Debby View Post
                Carole and Jan...I have to say you two have HUGE HEARTS. You are both always so calm, reassuring and loving, and you "always" make me feel better, even when I'm reading your posts on someone else's thread. Both of you have become very dear to me in your own ways, even though we haven't met in person....how I wish we were neighbors! I could use two friends like you next door, but this forum will have to do!

Thank you for all you do, for me, and everyone else on this board. You are true examples of what it means to live as God would have you live, or the higher power you believe in. My heart is full, and I'm getting teary, so I'll wind this up...but I hope you feel what I'm trying to share from my heart. You both are so.....special.
                Aww thanks my dear~ yes many good friends have found one another on this board and others. Feel free to contact me via my email found in my profile any time you need to, k? It is always wonderful to share from YOUR heart.. trust that.. and remember how God unites us all~
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Bless your beautiful heart Debby!

I feel you! You brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for your beautiful words.

I wish you were my neighbor too! Do you do dishes?

Like you, I love seeing people be kind and caring to other people. We recognize the beauty of a person when they help one another. Let me mention that you also help many!

MSers helping MSers!!! Can you describe an angel? ... I just did!

Thanks to all the wonderful MS angels!

Hugs!
                  When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

I recently had an upper ednoscopy. It was a breeze... (really it was). They gave me meds to "knock me out", then when finished they "woke me up".
                    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

NO NEED TO WORRY OR STRESS!!!

I work in a gastrointestinal doctors office. We more so deal with infants to about age 25. But an endoscopy is the same for a 1 week old and a 40 year old. I have had one myself, so I can speak professionally and personally.

1. You DO NOT feel a thing!! You will receive anesthesia, and be "out" the whole time. For my procedure, I received IV medication in my arm, then woke up to the doctor saying it went great to wake up..

2. Dont believe everything you read online.. Especially about procedures.. Think of it this way, how many success stories did you read? Probably not many.. Everyone only wants to complain about a bad experience. No one usually posts anything about a procedure or test that went great..

3. The NG tube you had placed was probably while you were awake, and if you were asleep and woke up with it, that would still place you in a BAD position. You would have had to deal with a tube down your throat for awhile.. Super uncomfortable. Plus it was there for awhile..

4. The endoscopy procedure is usually 10 to 25 minutes long, depending on the speed of the doctor. Also how many biopsies (tissue samples) are being taken. The tissue samples are a little knick of tissue like when you get a pap smear.. No pain, minimal bleeding if that..

5. Also in your case, they are searching for a reason for the pain, gallbladder issues, so I would prefer them to take their time so they can look around the stomach to find any problems..

6. And if there is really a gallbladder issue, you have the right as a patient to take a stand, and tell your doctor, "I understand you want to do the endoscopy, but I want an abdomen and pelvis ultrasound first." No harm no foul. Your the one paying the bill. Why would they not just do a quick ultrasound first? If they find something wrong on the ultrasound, you possibly may not need the endoscopy..

7. When they are doing the ultrasound, they specifically look at the gallbladder area, and more. When they do the endoscopy, they are testing for gastroesophageal reflux (excessive acid), gastritis (irritation in the stomach), h-pylori (a stomach bacteria), celiac disease (gluten intolerance), other bacterias, cancer, and more.. Technically all that could come back negative and you still have the same pain.

8. I would say, push for the abdomen and pelvis ultrasound first. Then the endoscopy if that is negative.

(The only thing a xray will show you is an excessive amount of stool or if a foreign object was swallowed)

Good luck...

Comment

Ttmont...thanks for that great medical breakdown, I really appreciate your clinical view and explanations. Since I've began this thread it has also been suggested by my surgeon that it could be my liver, or an ulcer. So, I'm all for the ultra-sound. If the problem can be found that way I'll avoid the endoscopy. But if I have to have an endoscopy, I feel so....much better about it after reading everyone's stories here. I feel much calmer, and less fear. Thanks to everyone!
                        Crystal

Comment

Was no problem

Hi there, I am new to boards, and in process of getting a dx.
                          But just wanted to let you know I had upper endoscopy, an i was a piece of cake, I don't remember a thing. They gave me demoral mixed with versed, but i kept on talking, it takes a lot to sedate me. So they upped both meds to finally sedate me.
                          But i dont remember a thing. I think you will do just fine, just make sure they give you enough happy juice
                          God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Glad I was able to help..

The ultrasound will show any issues with the liver and with the endoscopy the doctor can visually see if there are any ulcers..

Good luck

Comment

Sure appreciate the reassurances and valuable information from y'all! Gloobylube (cute/funny name), I am a lot like you...went to the dentist and had sedation. The first time I had one pill before I got there, then it took over an hour there to get me "slightly" out of it! The second time, they rxed TWO pills before I got there, and gave me twice as much "whatever it is they give you in the office", and that did the trick! If I need the endoscopy they better load me up!
                              Crystal

Comment

Working...
                              X