No announcement yet.

MS depression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I don't have MS I do suffer from cronic depression and PTSD.

As far as my depression it's most likely inherited from my family my mom and sister both have it doc figures it's a chem imbalance they have me on antidepressents for it which helps but throw in PTSD and it gets pretty intence at time with the nightmares waking up in cold sweats not fun easy to talk about it but that dosn't make the nightmare go away. And with my wife being newly diognosed with MS it's just a little added stress for me.

Comment

Originally posted by arohk View Post
      Although I don't have MS I do suffer from cronic depression and PTSD.

As far as my depression it's most likely inherited from my family my mom and sister both have it doc figures it's a chem imbalance they have me on antidepressents for it which helps but throw in PTSD and it gets pretty intence at time with the nightmares waking up in cold sweats not fun easy to talk about it but that dosn't make the nightmare go away. And with my wife being newly diognosed with MS it's just a little added stress for me.
      Hi arohk,

I understand you do not have MS, however, as I have said, depression is depression regardless of the cause. If you are seeing a Psychiatrist for depression and PTSD s/he should be able to prescribe medication to help with the flashbacks due to PTSD, hopefully allowing for a more peaceful sleep.

If you are not in Psychotherapy for both the depression and PTSD I would highly suggest you look into seeing a therapist. There is help if only you reach out for it

I am sorry to hear your wife has MS but please take care of yourself, what you are dealing with is also difficult to deal with. Be kind to each other and to yourselves.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
        Hi arohk,

I understand you do not have MS, however, as I have said, depression is depression regardless of the cause. If you are seeing a Psychiatrist for depression and PTSD s/he should be able to prescribe medication to help with the flashbacks due to PTSD, hopefully allowing for a more peaceful sleep.

If you are not in Psychotherapy for both the depression and PTSD I would highly suggest you look into seeing a therapist. There is help if only you reach out for it

I am sorry to hear your wife has MS but please take care of yourself, what you are dealing with is also difficult to deal with. Be kind to each other and to yourselves.
        Thank you I have seen different councelors for my depression how ever I didn't know there was medication that would help with flashbacks I will have to talk to my doc about that see what he knows it would be nice to get sleep I am now talking to friends and family about the things I went through which does help it gives me an area for release.

Comment

I have suffered from depression prior to my dx and also after my dx.

I differ with anyone that says depression is depression regardless. The following is an excerpt from the National MS Society website; Ms causes physical damages that can cause depression. Although depression as a whole is treated with the same drug/treatments; depression as a result of the physical damages caused by MS is an actuality.

Depression may also be a result of the MS disease process itself, since MS damages the myelin and nerve fibers deep within the brain. If MS damages areas of the brain that are involved in emotional expression and control, a variety of behavioral changes can result, including depression.

Depression in MS may also be associated with MS-related changes that occur in the immune and/or neuroendocrine systems. For example, there is some evidence that in persons with MS, changes in mood are accompanied by changes in certain immune parameters.

At some time in the course of the disease almost everyone that has MS will suffer from depression.

j
          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Originally posted by arohk View Post
            Thank you I have seen different councelors for my depression how ever I didn't know there was medication that would help with flashbacks I will have to talk to my doc about that see what he knows it would be nice to get sleep I am now talking to friends and family about the things I went through which does help it gives me an area for release.
            Your counselor, if s/he deals with patients that have PTSD should be able to help you with that issue. If I remember correctly a class of medications called Beta Blockers are used in helping with flashbacks.

arohk, I have MS but I also have PTSD so I do understand. Unfortunately, I had the wrong Psychiatrist so treatment and care was not helpful when really needed.

justacowgirl:
            I differ with anyone that says depression is depression regardless. The following is an excerpt from the National MS Society website; Ms causes physical damages that can cause depression. Although depression as a whole is treated with the same drug/treatments; depression as a result of the physical damages caused by MS is an actuality.
            This is true and I had posted a Link to the National MS Society which states it. I will state again: It is depression regardless of cause.

Treatment is the same. Some of those who have MS and depression may need to be on medication for the rest of their life -- maybe not.

I have dealt with depression and thoughts of suicide. It was really easy to assume both were due to MS. In my case and after extensive therapy the truth is MS had nothing to do with my depression or suicidal thoughts.

Once issues where fully dealt with I have not dealt with clinical depression again. I have had suicidal thoughts but those where medication induced.

At some time in the course of the disease almost everyone that has MS will suffer from depression
            Possibly. But not necessarily. It will depend on the person.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Snoopy..

Although the treatment is the same I think it is important for us to remember that our depression can be a manifestation of a the physical deterioration caused by MS...

j
              Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

[QUOTE=SNOOPY;1407237] If I remember correctly a class of medications called Beta Blockers are used in helping with flashbacks.

arohk, I have MS but I also have PTSD so I do understand. Unfortunately, I had the wrong Psychiatrist so treatment and care was not helpful when really needed.

The doc has me on seroquel at the moment I just started taking it I don't know if it's considered a beta blocker or not. Unfortunitly tring to find councelers here in victoria that deal with PTSD is tough and with all the troops that returned from afganistan who need the help now are keeping most councelers who are able to deal with PTSD
                pretty busy and I managed to go this long so far I would sooner the troops coming back who need help get it before they get worse.

Comment

Working...
                X