Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you, thanks to MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had the bowel issues as well. Pooping my pants not one time, but two different times in the car with my kids and two of the eldest's friends (5th graders at the time). First time was just a few months after diagnosis, and right after I had started Metformin for newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetes, second time, happened right after I t-boned a car that had run a red light (no injuries, no damage on my car even).

I probably would have made it home in time if that hadn't happened. It has happened a few more times, but usually only with the babies (2 and 3 1/2). Even with just the two youngest, it is still mortifying. I think the worst part of it all, is how worn out I am after I clean everything and myself up.

Comment

Embarrassing? Oh yes..

I was walking to the shuttle bus at work, fortunately alone, and immediately felt the need to find a bathroom. Didn't even make it 10 feet before I had a bowel blow-out...OMG..you should have seen me trying to clean myself in that bathroom - I was so scared someone else would walk in there and find me grabbing paper towels at the sink with my pants down around my ankles. I really feel sorry for the cleaning crew who had to empty that trash can.

Bummer is...now it happens a lot and I have to wear thick pads and take extra underwear to work..only a matter of time until my co-workers, husband, family and friends find out by surprise - then I will be publicly humiliated instead of just in my own head.

Comment

A few weeks ago in a clinic waiting room, two men were saying goodbye. The tall, big, husky guy standing beside my WC was referred to as Two Bears.

To my horror, my mouth opened... "Two Bears" I said, "Is that your name or is that what you had for breakfast?"

This giant beside me chuckled a bit, but here I was laughing! And I couldn't stop!

Two Bears went into the doctor's office. I was trying not to laugh too loudly, but I laughed so much I cried. By the time Two Bears left, my face was buried in tissues. He walked passed me, thought I was crying, smiled and said he hoped I felt better soon.
        When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

ok so ill add to the 'fun'!......so it goes I was driving to my sisters house one summer day and I was dressed in a pretty knee length dress and as i pulled into her driveway I felt the sudden urge to do #1!lol

so i park and walk up to her front door and was happy to see her doing something in the living area through the screen door and thought I was in the clear!...buuuut I go to open the screen door only to find it was locked(instant panic)!!!

I then yell to her to hurry up I have to go now! she hesitated a minute to finish what she was doing and needless to say when she opened the door(to my death stare!) lil sis was standing in a pool of water on her front deck!!! Oh yeah she got a gooood hardy laugh behind that one!!!! Hope you all did too

Comment

All right, now the floodgates, so to speak, have been opened, here's a very public one. (I have never told a soul about the whole bowel/ key/ nude thing - aren't you glad I decided to share?)

I was sent to take photos of a group of tourists on a "where does cotton come from?" bus trip. (Incidentally this was the last time I ever wore denim jeans.)

Made it to the toilet at the back of the bus, but not in time to undo the belt and unbuckle the jeans. Sat there wondering how on earth I was going to get out of this one.

Seat at the front. Hot day. Unpleasant odour. Took jeans off, rinsed the wet bit under the tap. Very, very wet. That's not going to fool anyone, I thought. Ah ha, there's a cup dispenser and a water gadget on the other side of the door.

I lean my bottom on the door, fill the cup and basically throw it on myself.

I hobbled back to my seat with as much nonchalance as I could muster. "Gosh this bus is bumpy, isn't it?" I say as I sat down looking like I'd been thrown in a swimming pool.

Comment

LOL Think!
              That's a good one...I'll have to remember this!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

My most embarrasing moment was falling in pubclic ~ then not able to get up without help

Comment

L-O-FREAKIN-L!!!! Especially Carole and Job...

Since there aren't any food/sleep related moments, I will add this one. In the first year after dx, before I "got it", my daughter had an appt for a (non MS) MRI at 11:30 at night at Toronto General Hosp. I went along for moral support &, as it turned out, entertainment.

This place was packed, we were in the waiting room's waiting room. I got the only seat as I needed a cane to walk then and fatigue hit instantly. Thinking I could eat to help stay awake, I sent my husband to the donut store and because they were about to close, there was only powdered donuts left.

He handed me the box and I proceeded to eat them while he kept checking on my daughter. I kept falling asleep with a mouthful and handful, every time he came to the entrance he called my name to wake me up, which sent donut crumbs and powdered sugar flying everywhere. This happened enough times that he tried to take the box away from me as I fought with him... clinging to that box like grim death! I won!

When we finally left, there was this giant circle of donut mess around my chair, nobody was seated on either side of me (they would rather stand up) and as I tripped over my cane on the way out, more mess came flying off my clothes, leaving a trail of it like Pig Pen from Peanuts cartoons.
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I was at Target in my power chair, and a lady came up to me and very politely pointed out that I had hooked my panty, which had an incontinence pad attached, over the arm of my chair when I got dressed that morning . I, very sheepishly, stuck it in my purse, checked out, and wondered how many others had seen it but didn't know how to tell me.
                    ~ Becky

Comment

The most embarrassing thing I have done was leave a message for someone on the phone and say "Hello Sara, this is Jane. I was just calling you because.....no wait I'm Sara and you are Jane."

Comment

Just last week

I was in the middle of a spinal tap when the urge started.

It took 3 stabs to get the clear fluid.

Well they rolled me on my side, they got a urinal, and the poor nurse who was assisting did a great job catching every drop. The puncture continued and the nurse got some unexpected experience taking care of children when she has them.

Comment

My "most embarrassing thing" is in a little different area that's what has been mentioned, so far, in this thread.

But, I think that it is important to mention, too, in case there are others who experience something so that they know they are not alone.

My MS tends to affect my mental health, when I'm in a flare. I get manic when I'm in a flare, and, until the steroids kick in, it just gets worse and worse. I have thoughts and behavior that I am unable to control.

I do not experience the depression part, but, here is some information about mania: http://www.health.com/health/gallery...306885,00.html. I have experienced most, or all, of the symptoms listed there.

In the past (for the first 8 years of my MS), I was hospitalized in a mental health facility once or twice a year for 1-3 weeks each time. Since I switched from Betaseron to Copaxone, Copaxone seems to help my brain to react more slowly and in a different way to flares. My weight loss and improved diet, I believe, has also had a positive impact on my MS symptoms, in general, and possibility on my MS flares. I am very relieved and grateful to be able to report that I have not had a hospitalization in 3 years.

I am not going to mention, specifically, the "most" embarrassing thing that has happened, because, well -- I still deal with the whole issue with great difficulty.

Suffice it to say, the mental health mania, and the changes it produces in my thoughts and behavior is the "most embarrassing thing" that has happened to me, thanks to MS.

~ Faith
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                          X