No announcement yet.

Anyone else dread getting an MRI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had well over 2 dozen MRIs by now, and they've never bothered me (except I usually get poked 2-3 times for the contrast ).

I prefer earplugs to music, and treat it as mindfulness meditation time. I used to try to nap, but I have a tendency to twitch as I get close to falling asleep that's worse in the tube...
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

While I do not have claustraphobia
      (cannot remember how to spell that--dang MS), I do NOT like the "head cage" they use. HOWEVER, just a few weeks ago, I had my annual MRI, and I was able to have it done without taking any meds to relax me. I just "decided" that I was going to do it, and I closed my eyes as soon as I laid down on the table. I told the tech I would not open my eyes once I laid down. The tech was very kind, per my request she did not place a wash cloth over my eyes, she did keep me informed about what was happening.
      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I meditate through the whole thing and it seems to go by in about 5 minutes that way, so I don't mind MRI's. But - I close my eyes before I go in the machine and I do NOT open them until I am all the way out again. I think it is much worse for claustrophobia if you open your eyes during the procedure and see how small the space is.

You can try all the above suggestions - open MRI, valium or ativan in advance, headphone for music or earplugs - as any of them might work for you. Remember too that nobody can make you have an MRI if you don't want one, though your doctor might refuse to treat you with some medications if your MS cannot be monitored with MRI.

Comment

I get full sedation mri I have fibromyalgia and an allergic to galidum. You can always ask for full sedation mri most doctors week jerk of you have documented reasoning. Goos luck to you

Comment

I've had a number of MRIs in the past two years since dx. Depending on where I've had them done, they've either been boring and noisy or relaxing and noisy. At Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, they actually had music though I almost prefer just silence. I keep my eyes closed and imagine myself laying out on the beach by the ocean and concentrate on breathing. That seems to help me get through them. For me, the MRIs have let me know any changes since being dx and since starting Copaxone. Since starting Copaxone, I've had no new activity so I am now on a once a year MRI schedule. I'm someone who wants to know how many lesions, what size, where, and any changes, so I appreciate the MRIs for providing that info.

Comment

Working...
            X