Just diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just diagnosed

Hi everyone, I have had a very rough Christmas this year. I was in hospital from the 23rd to yesterday and was diagnosed with MS on Christmas Eve. I had a MRI done and they found 8 leasions on my brain and two in my spine. I lost all use of my legs and could not walk. I am walking now but with a walker (I am 34).

They are putting me on a trial program in the new year for a new drug.. dont know the name of it.

I just wanted to touch base with you all and get any advice that you could offer.

Thanks,

Tasha

Hi Tasha, Welcome, whew sorry you had that unpleasant Christmas. That totally stinks.

You say "they" are putting you on a drug in a clinical trial.

You don't say which one, but you may want to read all about the trial before you decide to participate. There are a lot of crappy drugs out there FDA approved and on trial. I hope you have a doctor that has your best interests at heart and not just interest in your participating in the trial.

You will find lots of information here on drugs and everything else MS.

Comment

Hi Tasha: Welcome to MS World! Sorry about your Christmas. I hope your New Years is better. I too use a walker and a scooter. I know what a shock it can be to use one at diagnosis too. Perhaps you won't need it too long. I was placed in many studies at diagnosis. I am hoping yours fits you. When you have a study doc, thats what happens, but you always have a choice.

I hope that you improve quickly. Check back in with us and let us know how you are doing. When you find out the name of your drug, post it in the medication section...we are always interested.

Take care and feel better soon.
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Hi, Tasha. Hope new year is much kinder than Christmas was. welcome to this site and if we can be of any help let us know. Dale
        Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Sorry you had to join our little club, but welcome all the same.

As "there" points out, you should know what you're taking and should now take the time to educate yourself. Also bear in mind that you may end up not getting any medication if you're in the control group.

Finally, whatever your level of disability, it's not possible to predict how much you'll recover - which also means you may be running in 6 months. So keep your chin up.

My advice is to get as much rest as you can. I stayed in bed for 2 weeks after diagnosis. And you'll likely be fatigued for a long time. After a month, be sure to keep moving. Your muscles will atrophy quickly without use and you might not know what's the MS and what's deconditioning due to lack of use, so it's important to exercise - but not yet, for now you need to rest.

Comment

from a beautiful man...

My name is Jordan.
            On my 13th shot of Avonex.
            I have a beautiful daughter and 2 granddaughters.
            I was married for 38 years.
            I live in NJ for now.
            I am new to MS.
            I just had a birthday. I am now 65. Walking, loving, but not driving.

Would like to meet someone Special.

Jordan

**Email address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

diegnosed in march 2012

my mom and sister have ms to my sister is the worst out of us we have found if you stay calm rest and stay cool you should be ok we all sill get flars witch is uncomftorbule but if you do these thing you should be good take your meds let your doc know when you feel a new symtome pop up or if a old one is comeing back granted the one comeing back they might make you wait but letting them know can sometimes help keep you calm dose for me . if you feel your hot for no reson try and take a cool shower it helps alot with my flairs stretching to if you feel your brain isent working right take a nap and discuse med options for ms symtom the med they gave you will mostlikely just slow the progretion on the disses not the symtomes so talk to them to find relif also you might have just started your jerny but if you find the good in life this jerny is one that could pay off in the end but above all do not get stressted my sis dose all the time and she keeps haveing relapses so really try and stay calm
              wish you the best my fellow ms'er
              live and laugh in love cuz love is forever

Comment

Working...
              X