Greetings from Florida!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Florida!

I have been lurking around for a while now, and occasionally throwing in a comment. I thought I would go ahead and introduce myself.

My name is Tracy, and I am a 46 year old Army veteran and mother of 4. My MS symptoms started around 2002, when I was still in the Army. I left the army doctors scratching their heads when I lost half of the field of vision in my right eye for about 24 hours. 10 years later, I finally have a firm diagnosis of MS.

After getting out of the Army, I started in the VA's vocational rehab program and went back to college to study social work. I did well in all of my classes except for math. At this time, I had no idea that I had MS. I marched myself into the college's disability office in tears one day, a little over 2 years ago. I was convinced that some sort of learning disability was causing my difficulty in math. They referred me back to the VA for testing. They did a battery of psychological testing on me, and sent me for a new MRI. I never heard back from them. Being the stubborn person that I am, I attempted my math classes over and over again, and forgot about the testing.

Last September, I fell while getting ready for school one morning. I could not move my legs or talk. I went to the VA hospital, looking for answers. They sent me to a neurologist, who upon looking at my records, informed me that the last MRI that was done (2 years ago) had indicated MS. I was floored. How could they not tell me this?

The past year has been a blur of testing, a spinal tap, and more MRI's. Last month, the neurologist gave me a diagnosis of secondary progressive MS.............and I still can't pass that darned math class.

Hi, that you are here is not so good because it usually means the MonSter has struck again. A hearty welcome to you we will all be watching for you and happy to answer any questions for you or you could give us some of your insights. Unusual I think for them to label you SP right off. I think I am but have not been told I am. Well once again Welcome. PEACE
    Tortis

Comment

I think that the SP diagnosis is a little odd myself, but I can kind of see where they are coming from. I have 10 years worth of medical records, where 'mystery' symptoms came and went. This past year has been straight downhill. Every day, my laundry list of symptoms grows. Sometimes I do not know how I manage to function at all. Luckily, I have family and friends who help me get by. I do not know if I could do this by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TTowle View Post
        I think that the SP diagnosis is a little odd myself, but I can kind of see where they are coming from. I have 10 years worth of medical records, where 'mystery' symptoms came and went.
        Hi TTowle and Welcome to MSWorld.

The majority of us have had MS longer than the actual diagnosis. It's quite easy to blow off symptoms as 'one of those days' or an odd occurance.

By the time the actual diagnosis happens it is possible to have transitioned from RR to SP. There is no time frame on transitioning from RR to SP and some never do transition.

In my case; I have had MS symptoms since I was a kid, diagnosed at 24 years old with RR and going on 28 years diagnosed. Although there is a question about the possibility that I might have transitioned to SP it is becoming more likely that I have not transitioned to SP.

It might be too soon to know if you are SP or still RR. There seems to be a fine line between the two and even my neuro, who has been doing this for a very long time, has a hard time figuring out where that line between RR and SP is...at least in my case
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
        X