Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Just diagnosed and don't know what this means for my career

Hello,

I was just diagnosed with MS by my civilian neurologist (military medical system knows nothing about my condition) and need some help understanding the implications to my career in the Air Force Reserves.

Some context:
    -- Served active duty in the Air Force for 11 years
    -- Have been a part-time Air Force Reservist (IMA) for the last 5 years in addition to my full-time civilian job
    -- My symptoms are currently limited to tingling in the leg; I can pass any physical fitness test. . .today, anyway.

I am trying to find a knowledgeable source that can help me understand what I can expect and what options I have available.

Some questions that I'm hoping to answer:
    -- What is the possibility of continuing my AF Reserve career to complete my 20 years of service (4 more years of duty)?
    -- If I am not able/allowed to complete my 20 years, what does the AF do with me? Discharge? Medical retirement?
    -- If I am medically retired as a part-time Reservist, what pay and benefits do I receive? Are they immediate or follow the same "wait until you're age 60" before receiving them? I'm especially interested in understanding the implications to the Tricare Reserve Select (basically Tricare Standard) that I currently use for my family.

I will be grateful for any help or vector that you can provide.

Thank you.

Jay,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am an active army national guard (AGR) soldier who was diagnosed back in April. I have 8 active years an 13 total years. I am being put through an MEB/PEB process. I was told this could take up to 2 years. Judging by the way it's started I don't doubt it.

I know the VA rates MS as service connected if it occurs within seven years of discharge. The minimum percentage is 30%. I'm not sure how it would work for a traditional guardsman. Good luck in your new venture.
    Diagnosed RRMS April 2014
    Trying to be the best dad I can!

Comment

Word of Caution ! !

I can NOT say what the situating would be as a reservist.

That Said;
      When I was in the Navy (active duty) and hospitalized for pneumonia, I was charged upon admission under UCMJ for failure to seek medical care. The charge was dropped like a not nuke after I requested my previous 10 days sick bay records from A-school for my defense showing I had been GOMER'd for over a week.

SO, to be on the safe side, you might want to make sure withholding a Dx of such a serious medical condition could bring serious criminal charges, if you are not careful. If that is the case you could be in TROUBLE and get something less than a honorable discharge, meaning NO VA bennies or very expensive MS care.

YOU NEED to check this out ASAP! (be safe & protect yourself)

GOMER Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Just for clarification Gomer you can still get veterans benefits with any anything other than a dishonorable discharge such as a general discharge.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I'm sorry for your diagnosis. I can't help with any of your questions, but wanted to wish you the best of luck. And to thank you for your service.

Comment

Working...
          X