Provigil is now Generic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigA View Post
    Here's the generic. Still very expensive. I assume there is a gentleman's agreement betweent the generic and the brand manufacturers.
    I was refilling Provigil the other day and my pharmacist told me they'd just issued a generic. However, he looked it up and the price was the same. Sometimes, he said, they'll do this when first authorizing a generic and then over a few years the price will come down.

It's a great medication and the only prescription drug I take now. Don't know what I'd do without it.

Comment

Originally posted by arjay View Post
      I was refilling Provigil the other day and my pharmacist told me they'd just issued a generic. However, he looked it up and the price was the same. Sometimes, he said, they'll do this when first authorizing a generic and then over a few years the price will come down.

It's a great medication and the only prescription drug I take now. Don't know what I'd do without it.

Which "they" are you referring to? And are you saying your copay is the same, or is your pharmacy charging the same amount for both? Is it less or more than the pharmacy charges in the link I listed?

Comment

The generic name for Provigil, modafinil, does not even appear in the formulary for my Medicare drug plan. Just the brand name, Provigil. Super expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
          Which "they" are you referring to? And are you saying your copay is the same, or is your pharmacy charging the same amount for both? Is it less or more than the pharmacy charges in the link I listed?
          Sorry, BigA. The pharmacist literally just said "they" and I guess I assumed he meant the company that makes Provigil or whoever they've licensed it to.

What he said was that my copay would be the same. I'm not sure what they are charging the insurance company.

Comment

ok, I'm confused... I talked to my neuro on friday and he said that the generic for Provigil is coming out in May possibly, also if you look on the fda's orange book ( their website which you can check to see if a generic has been approved) it doesn't show a provigil generic yet based on the fact that it doesn't have a "TE" code which is given when approval is authorized. So, I guess I'm not sure where the idea that a true generic is available when everything I have read and been told says that its not yet...that being said, I hope that I'm wrong, I am running out of my Nuvigil samples (insurance wont even budge on giving me a prescription for that one) and am looking forward to possibly having access to a fatigue med that works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.. the link to the fda website is listed below, and please, if I'm misreading/misunderstanding something by all means, tell me

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...ocs/tempai.cfm

Comment

From the FDA site, I clicked on a link to Drugs@FDA. You can search generic approvals by month. I found modafinil as having "tentative approval" on April 4, 2012.

Clear as mud.

Comment

Yes there is a Generic it is Modafanil. I just sent in my request for a 3 month supply of PRovigil with Cigna, waiting to pay my $80 copay (which I know is low to alot of people) and I was only charged $10. Turns out it has a generic now. I was also excited that Lexapro (my antidepressant) has a generic too.

Comment

We just got another letter from Blue Cross for my husband's Medicare supplement and they turned down Nuvigil. Maybe I'll try to get the generic for Provigil but I doubt if they'll approve it.

Does anyone else have approval from Medicare for Provigil or Nuvigil. Is there another drug that they do approve that would help fatigue.

Nuvigil was almost a miracle drug for my husband. He was back to his old pre-MS days.....
                  Husband Dx'd in 2006. Currently on Tysabri, Gabapentin, Ampyra, Baclofen..

Comment

I buy the generic here for a good price without a prescription [url=http://www.superdrugsaver.com/generic-medicine/451/Provigil.html?a_aid=50cd6d273d15b this seems to be the only site still selling legit.

Comment

Working...
                    X