Did they work for you? Acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
    Knuckle, where do you get LDN? Is it over the counter or prescription?
    I'm taking LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone).
    It is prescription.

I discussed how LDN is know for helping with fatigue, heat and cognitive trouble.

My doc was cool about taking it in addition to my Copaxone.

I ordered the 1.5 mg pills from a compounding pharmacy.
    If you do a Google search, look for Skip's Pharmacy in Boca Raton, FL.
    The had the best prices I could find.
    Evidently, they do big business with LDN because the people there were very helpful and could answer any question I had.

I really like the LDN.
    It is an opium based product, so if one is allergic to Codeine or any other opium based product, LDN isn't an option.

Comment

ALA/Acetyl L-Carnitine

I tried these supplements, taking them faithfully, but I didn't seem to get a result. Then, I began feeling more tired than ever! Finally, I went online to research them, and I found that if one takes thyroid medication for hypothyroidism (and I do), one should not use these supplements. They interfere with your body's absorption of the medication. So, I stopped taking them and went back on Provigil. If anyone is not getting the expected results, this could be one reason.

Comment

Originally posted by LA ESCOBA View Post
        I tried these supplements, taking them faithfully, but I didn't seem to get a result. Then, I began feeling more tired than ever! Finally, I went online to research them, and I found that if one takes thyroid medication for hypothyroidism (and I do), one should not use these supplements. They interfere with your body's absorption of the medication. So, I stopped taking them and went back on Provigil. If anyone is not getting the expected results, this could be one reason.
        Exactly! Which is why, somewhere in this mile long post, several times I've recommended not taking ALA and ALCAR if you are taking either thyroid or diabetes medications. It's best to always check with your doctor before taking any new medications or supplements.

(Sorry you didn't get any relief from the fatigue though. When they do work, they are fantastic!)
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Shashi thanks for recommending these. They worked for me and I am no longer needing caffeine. I hope you are feeling well.

Comment

After reading this, I picked up some ALA and ALCAR. I could tell a difference within the first hour the first day I took it. But then two days later had another brain fog/fatigue episode. The jury is still out. I think it is helping some, except during an acute episode.

The plan is to stick with it for a month and see what happens. I've also added 5000 IU D3 daily, and CoQ10. I do have more energy and mental clarity, but it does typically wax and wane. That pattern is still there.
            I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

My experience

Thanks for starting this wonderful thread! Following years of unsuccessful use of Provigil, Ritalin and Amantadine, I discovered this thread. I started taking 2000 mg Acetyl L-carnitine and 200 mg alpha lipoic acid about a month ago. I must say it almost immediately helped my fatigue. However, it gave me an upset stomach which created a new set of problems. I scaled the ALC back to 1000 mg a day and that helped my stomach but my fatigue did creep back a bit. I must admit that my fatigue level is currently better than it was on any of my previous fatigue meds. At this time I am giving my body time to adjust to the 1000 mg of ALC and will try to bump it back up to 2000 mg in a few weeks. …will keep you posted on the outcome.

Comment

The provigel, amatedine, and that other sh@# didn't help me. So I've been using the Acetyl and the ALA for about a month. I do see slight improvement in my fatigue. BUT, I do take thyroid meds for hypothyroidism. So far so good so I guess I'll keep taking the ALC and ALA and the thyroid meds.

Comment

Does anyone else notice that they get heartburn from these?

Comment

Originally posted by mnkitten View Post
                    Does anyone else notice that they get heartburn from these?
                    How much are you taking and when? It may help to take them with food. (I always take them with applesauce.) I've never had any problems with them; but then, I also take GERD medication, so it might hide any irritation.
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I take it basically on an empty stomach but take with a lot of water and it really helps with the heartburn. Also, these supplements make for strong stinky pee.

Comment

ALA might need to be taken right before food to avoid heartburn. For the smelly pee, I've read that it's much less common with R-Lipoic acid.

Ran

Comment

Originally posted by Ranwah View Post
                          ALA might need to be taken right before food to avoid heartburn. For the smelly pee, I've read that it's much less common with R-Lipoic acid.

Ran
                          Thats what I take the R-Fraction. The strong odor might be subsiding some. Smelly pee doesn't bother me if I feel better and have more energy. It is worth it! lol

Comment

Odor from L-carnitine?

I have been taking ala 250mg and L-carnitine 1000mg for three weeks with great results [ more energy, less fatigue, improved mood]. One problem I noticed was an unpleasant odor to my urine, sweat, etc. This was not too objectional until I had a minor GI upset that caused me to have excessive gas. The gas disperses easily as gas is wont to do and the entire room fills with a most unpleasant odor. Very embarrassing socially! Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know of anything that might mitigate this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by wise crone View Post
                              I have been taking ala 250mg and L-carnitine 1000mg for three weeks with great results [ more energy, less fatigue, improved mood]. One problem I noticed was an unpleasant odor to my urine, sweat, etc. This was not too objectional until I had a minor GI upset that caused me to have excessive gas. The gas disperses easily as gas is wont to do and the entire room fills with a most unpleasant odor. Very embarrassing socially! Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know of anything that might mitigate this problem?
                              It's probably the ALA rather than the L-Carnitine that's causing the odor. You could try switching to the racemic form, as others on this thread have mentioned. It's what I take, and I have no odor problems.

Unfortunately, as far as I know it's not available in combination with ALA, so you'd have to buy them separately.

Oh, and I see this is your first post...welcome to MS World!

Comment

ALA / ALCAR is available in a combined tablet, which would prevent burning in your esophogus caused by ALA capsules. Swanson's Vitamins sells a product but I'm sure there are other suppliers.

ALA causes the urine odor and is the source of energy as ALA is responsible for turning food energy into cellular energy.

ALCAR is responsible for mental alertness and slows the natural aging process.

LDN boosts endorphin production 2-300% the day after you take it and that is why people feel so good and awake. Endorphins serve to regulate the immune systetm.

Comment

Working...
                                X