Newly diagnosed and finding my way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly diagnosed and finding my way

Hi! Im a 30yo mom in South Texas. I have a little boy, almost 3yo and husband to go with it :-) I was an athlete in my youth, then battled infertility, had my little miracle and gained 80 lbs to cart around.... then Fibro and Myofascial pain. Until Easter that is When I woke up with a numb spot on my arm with a weird pain beneath it. Went through diagnostics and was told all clear, even though my rehab therapists didn't think so. I lost the weight. Optic Neuritis. Fast forward again to now and today I was told I did indeed have MS despite being told I didn't a week ago. We're going to expand our family, hubby and I. I'm going back to school too... and starting copaxone when my insurance clears it. I'm really feeling a bit lost. Hopefully the future will bring good things in equal measure.

Welcome to the board! I was on Copaxone for a long time...loved it. It is good to hear you are going back to school and not letting MS get in your way. There is a young adult section on here that you might find useful too. Otherwise, check out everything!

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Welcome Texas Mama!

It's a hard, scary time for you right now. The best advice I can offer to cope with it is a lot of deep breathes and take it one day at a time. One moment at a time if you have to.

Also, I've read in a few places that if your insurance won't cover your DMT's the drub companies themselves might do it. If you're turned down by your insurance, check out the Capaxone manufacturer's site for info about this. Actually, you might want to look into it while your waiting so you'll be ready to go right away if the insurance does turn you down.

Hugs, and remember, breathe.

Comment

Thank you both so much. I was lucky. My Doctor and her office are super on top of things. Considering I saw her only a couple of days ago the Nurse Educator called me yesterday, Shared Solutions called me late yesterday afternoon and told me that my insurance covers the Copaxone with a $50 copay and Shared Solutions will pick up $15 of that! All thats left is the pre-auth from the insurance to the specialty pharmacy. And at this rate that'll be lightning speed! Which is stopping me from drifting too far into 'this is obviously a mistake' That and the fact that I woke up and started sumbling and falling again this morning. Sigh. Less Flares would be good. I don't know what to even do about this one. Do I call? I've only seen this Doc once (my 'second opinion' after firing Neuro one) and she's really nice but I was in a bit of a stupor after she said MS and had no idea what to ask.

Comment

Cyclist, can you field this question for Texas Mama?

TM, I'm in the middle of trying to figure who I'm supposed to turn to when I have the next flare. GP shrugs and says "not me," neuro's nurse says GP, can't get through to neuro herself at the moment as nurse is blocking me, so.. Plus I'm in Canada so a completely different system from yours.

I'm so pleased to hear that you're getting mucho help with the cost of your meds!

Comment

Working...
          X