Need input about meds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need input about meds...

So I'm supposed to start Avonex next week at the suggestion of my Dr. But all my Dr said was you have ms this is why i think that take Avonex have a nice day...basically...oh and it might cause flu like symptoms. My question is for those of you who are taking meds...what are you taking, or what have you taken and how did it affect you?

meds

I was on Avonex for several years and get headaches and joint pain for 24 hours after injection. This was pretty well controlled for me with ibuprofen. Avonex is one of the first line drugs, but there are meds available if needed. Hope this helps some. Dale
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

I was diagnosed in May. Most doctors seem to agree that the earlier you begin treatment the better so I decided to go for it. I haven't tried anything else.

I am one of the fortunate ones, I don't suffer side effects. Once in a blue moon I get the shivers & body aches but it seems to be only when hit a vein & it's gone by the next morning (I take my shot around 8pm at night).

I did start out with the titration kit to help my body adjust to the meds & I really think it helped. I use the Avonex pen because I have anxiety over sticking myself with a needle & I am able to give myself the shot without any hesitation.
      Diagnosed: May 2012
      Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
      Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

I was diagnosed back in 2007 with RRMS, at 21 years old. My diagnoses went about the same way, you have MS....sorry, and here's what I'm giving you for medication. Found better neuros since then though BTW

That doctor originally started me on Copaxone. Although that was every day, the side effects were very minor....just a red welt for a couple hours after the shot. I was on that for a while, but then went off to have another child. When I started meds again after having my daughter my new neuro and I decided on Avonex due to the shot only being once a week. Although the side effects can really be awful (the flu like symptoms) I find that taking the Advil really is the key. Only having an injection once a week is great, it makes it so I don't have to think about shots every single day.

If I do not take the Advil (or tylenol...but Advil is my preference) I still have the side effects to this day and have been on Avonex for about 18 months now. For me, the flu like symptoms are fever, chills, body aches. But I get ZERO of it as long as I take the advil.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Don't sweat the decision too much. Lots of people start on Avonex (fewest shots, most side effects) or Copaxone (fewest side effects, most shots).

Different people experience the side effects in differing amounts.

What seems like the biggest decision of your life just isn't. That's why your doctor is so nonchalant about it - unfortunately, they don't explain well that all the first line injectables are equally effective (or ineffective). Basically, you try one and then if it works, stay on it and if it doesn't, try another. That's about it.

Comment

Avonex should actually set you up with an in person avonex nurse visit for your first shot - a training and Q&A. They have documentation for you...you can ask any questions, practice with a faux shot, etc. And the local nurse should be available to you anytime you need her. She/he can come out at your request as needed. At least that was how it was for me. You might call and ask them. They should be calling soon to get the medication set up for you, if they haven't already. It's not so bad

Comment

Working...
            X