Diagnosed November 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnosed November 2011

Hi everyone, I'm new to the MS Community Board. I'll start with introducing myself. My name is Jenny and I'm 25 years old. I graduated with my bachelors degree in Environmental Biology this spring and am currently looking for a job.

I was just married on September 29th of this year, but have actually been with him since I was 16. Last year, while interning at a local wildlife refuge, I got my first physical symptoms of MS. It is actually a somewhat funny story because at first I thought I had rabies! I had picked up a puppy off the side of the road about a week before my symptoms started and he pooped all over me! So, when my whole right side went almost completely numb, along with ringing in the right ear, I looked up my symptoms on google and rabies has symptoms like this.

Anyway, the puppy didn't have rabies and he was adopted out to a family... I also thought it may have been Lyme's disease because I had caught numerous ticks on me. For about a year or so before the physical symptoms started, I had been very forgetful and easily distracted. I went to my doctor and he said for me to quit smoking (I smoked at the time), and I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism which causes some forgetfulness, etc. Anyway, after rushing to get on Medicaid because my other insurance through my college was ending, I had to wait a couple of excruciating months before finally getting my Medicaid activated and being diagnosed in November.

I finally started on Avonex on in November. What a time that was. I hate needles! I did the first injection myself no problem, but the next week when I tried I tensed up when the needle was half way through and it wouldn't go in! So, after that I freaked out and wouldn't do it again. My husband did them for me after that. However, in April/May, I had another MRI and it showed two new lesions. I had a feeling it would because my right leg and side periodically would go numb and I felt tired very often. So, my doctor switched me to Copaxone, and I actually like it so much better than Avonex.

I don't get sick for two days out of the week anymore. I can also do it myself with the auto injector. What was funny was that Avonex came out with its auto injector the day after I stopped Avonex! So far so good. My next MRI is in December so we'll see. My current problem now is trying to find a full time job that offers health insurance. I am on Medicaid right now and can only make a certain amount every month to stay on it (a very minimal amount), and my husband's insurance would be too expensive for me to get on.

This is stressing me out a lot because I hate not working and feeling like I'm useless. I almost feel as though MS is controlling me. However, I do have vitiligo too, which is another autoimmune disease, and am on medication for this too. Is anyone else having this problem or have had this problem with insurance? I am stuck right now because there are not many jobs out there period, let alone descent ones that offer health insurance.
    So glad to be here with others who understand! Look forward to reading all of your posts!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Welcome though sorry you have to be here particularly because you are so young and deserve better health.

Try not feel useless and stressed as that is not good for your health and no good when looking for a job. You did not ask to get MS and you need your self confidence to get that good job with good benefits when it shows up. Health insurance is important, the economy stinks not your fault either so for now it is good you got Medicaid which should help you to get your stress level down.

Plenty of stuff you can do to improve your health, such as diet, exercise, perhaps yoga or Thai chi, nature stuff whatever to shed to stress and find some peace.

Comment

Hi There

Hi Jenny. I am 28, but was diagnosed when I was 25. I too am on Copaxone and also have Hypothyroidism as well. Unfortunately, I also have PCOS which also has many of the same symptoms as MS and Hypothyroidism. I was surprised to read your right side went numb, for me it was my left first and a year later my right! It is NO fun!

I am not able to work right now either, so I am not looking, but I know looking for a job with insurance is hard. My boyfriend has a job with insurance but the monthly cost is becoming so high we are looking to get some not through his job. Have you ever thought about find a decent job without insurance then getting some one your own? I do not know if it's possible, but maybe worth looking into.

I agree that a good diet, exercise and positive attitude are very important. These will help you get through your hardest days a little easier. Keeping your stress levels down is important. High stress can cause a flare-up, which is the opposite of what you want.

Best of luck.

Moon

Comment

Welcome to the MS World forums. I'm so sorry to hear why you're here, but know that you are not alone.

I've got nearly 20 years on you, but am newly diagnosed, so you probably know far more about this horrid disease than I do. Despite that, find this forum has been a huge help for me so I hope you find it as useful as I have in terms of both information and support from those who truly "get it."

Being so new (to diagnosis and the forums) I can't reasonably offer any advice at the moment, but would encourage you to do as others have for me - come here anytime you need to ask questions, have a good vent/rant, or just connect with others.

Comment

Moonglow, thanks for your response! I have not looked into getting insurance myself, so thanks for the idea. It never occured to me before that I could get it outside of college or the workforce. I will definitely look into it.

What is PCOS? Sorry for the ignorance!

As far as you not working right now, if you don't mind me asking, is it because of your MS? I've been told by my uncle, who also has MS, to look into SSI, but I'm told its difficult to get. To be honest, I feel weird even trying to get Disability insurance because I don't "look" disabled. For me, the symptoms are mostly cognitive. I feel out of it alot, and my memory and concentration are horrible. But- how can this be proved to be a disability when its not something you can see? Occasionally, my right side will go somewhat numb, especially when I'm stressed out, and I'm tired a lot.

How many flare ups have you had since being diagnosed at 25? How many new lesions have you had? I'm sorry for all the questions, but you have a lot in common with me so I'm trying to get an idea of what I should expect.

Thanks so much for your encouragement

Comment

WELCOME JENNY!!! It is great to have you here, but I am sorry why. It is important (for everyone) to not let stress into their lives (easier said than done). Many here have had their fair share of insurance issues. I hope everything works out for you the easy way. And congratulations on your marriage! Good luck in your job search and good luck with the MS as well.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
            X