Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie on board

Hi everyone.

I'm a 42 year old (sighs, only a month off 43!) female recently diagnosed with MS. I live in Western Canada, am married, have two grown foster kids and a houseful of furry kids.

I just found out the diagnosis in the last couple of weeks and find myself reaching out rather blindly for help, especially since I am not getting much in the way of support from my GP.

I did some trolling around the board before signing up and I see that there are other Canadians here, and that they are having similar issues with their own doctors. We have a serious doctor shortage in this country and its been my personal experience, both with myself and with relatives I've looked after in recent years, that this shortage seems to be affecting the attitude of those who do practice here. Yes, I get their overworked and underpaid. But still.....

Here's my situation. I've had a lifetime of "minor" health problems that started early in childhood, ranging from unexplained, to chronic fatigue, migraines, IBS, sudden vision loss, numbness, depression and so on. I'm used to doctors, family and so-called friends treating me like a whiner and hypochondriac. All these "minor" problems stopped me from being able to work by the time I was 32. (Of course at the time, I thought I would get better rather than worse and would eventually be able to return to work.)

In spring of 2012 I lost over half my vision in one eye (again) and thanks to an alert optometrist, finally had someone pay attention. So many months and tests later, and an MRI revealing that I had a minimum of 20 brain lesions, along with my history led a neurologist to diagnose me with MS. He also believes I've had it for a minimum of 15 years - since the first time I lost most of my vision in both eyes for 8 weeks - and likely for much longer than that.

Okay, did some reading, got in touch with my local MS office and realize that yes, it absolutely fits with almost every single problem I've ever had. Yes, I freaked out even though I was half expecting the news. But lurking behind all this was the fear that my GP would be as per usual, non-supportive at best.

Sure enough I went to see him the other day for the first time since getting the news, and he spent the 3/4 of the visit telling me:
    • what an over-diagnosed disease MS was
    • that the neurologist had diagnosed me on the most minimal of evidence
    • what symptoms I did not have
    • that even if I did have MS, which he graciously agreed to let me believe it, it was a very recent development and a very mild case, because after all, I got there under my own power and not in a wheelchair like "real" MS patients

When I tried to protest that I have in the past, and do still, experience all the things he says I don't, he cut me off. Again, this is normal for him and I've learned the hard way not to argue with him because he would happily turf me to the street. But who would've thought he'd argue with an MRI and neurologist/opthamologist with 25 years experience specializing in diagnosing MS? I thought at the least he'd believe the neuro and start listening to me, but no, all he wanted to get me out of his office.

I want to SCREAM I'm so frustrated! I'm scared and know the neurologist who who will actually be handling my case is overloaded, so I understand why I have to wait another 4 months to see her before we can even talk about treatment, but what am I supposed to do in the meantime? I can't even ask my GP questions as he's made it clear, yet again, that nothing I say has any validity whatsoever. Of course he doesn't know about most of my symptoms or my history, because he never lets me tell him and refuses to read any of my records prior to just before I became his patient! (Oh, and he's very happy to constantly slam my past GP just about every time I see him. How very professional of him, hmm?)

And no, I can't switch doctors. No-one in my city is taking on new patients, for any reason. Believe me, I've been tried for 7 years since my last one closed his practice.

Okay, enough of a rant right now. I just really needed to get that out. Sorry.

Welcome to the boards, Wordsgood! I am so sorry you have had a horrendous appt with your GP - how awfully rude of him! And I'm sorry to have to wait 4 months to see a neuro.

I can understand how frustrated it must be for you - all you are asking for is some validation and guidance!! Can you travel further to see someone else? In the meantime, would you feel comfortable seeing a naturopathic dr or nutritionist - at least to check on your blood levels and talk about proper nutrition? Many of us find that our well-being depends on good nutrition and exercise (along with meds) on our MS journey.

These are just suggestions as you play the waiting game. I would also continue arming yourself with as much information you can read up on. You have come to the right place here and I hope we can help you in any way. And please never apologize for ranting! We all understand and at one time or another we all rant too

In the meantime, here is a huge ((HUG)) and take care!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I can really relate to your post, so much so that after lurking on these forums for about 5 years now, it prompted me to register and respond.

I'm 43 and also live in Western Canada. Like you, I've had the worst experience with doctors. First an arrogant GP, then a nasty neurologist. Even though I was diagnosed fairly quickly (a really obvious case), the GP refused to complete any disability forms. I was forced to move to find a new doctor and ended up losing FOUR YEARS of disability, never mind treatment, etc. My case was approved in a week.

I've since learned that you can request a neurologist at the MS Clinic. I asked around at the MS Society who was good, and my new neurologist is really great. People actually rolled their eyes when I mentioned the former one.

Anyway, I just want to say I understand your frustration and feel free to vent.

Comment

THANK YOU!

Thank you both for your kind welcome!

Hopefully this post will go through. I've been having problems getting the site to recognize me after the day I joined. I'm beginning to believe my computer is haunted or has just taken a personal dislike to me! (Hmm, wonder if it's been talking to my GP? )

As of Friday, I finally did hear from the MS Clinic nurses. I ended up pleading with the manager of our local MS Society office to help me. She spoke with the MS Clinic nurses who had a conference call with me and they let me spit out what I needed to. Found out that I DO have an appointment in December with the neurologist, but no-one had passed that along.

Weirdly enough, it's the day before my next set of scans, but what the heck, I'll take what I can get! A few more weeks I can handle, but to tell me to wait months after dropping that kind of bomb on me was just a bit too much for my personal sanity.

Thank you JaneZ, for taking the time to register and reply. That is incredibly kind and hugely appreciated! 4 years to get approved when it was so obvious to other doctors?

"Rolling their eyes" at the name of your old doctor sounds all too familiar. It's more than a little sad that our system has reached such a new low.

I've only met my treating neuro once, briefly, several months ago but she seems nice enough. I just hope she listens better than GP. The MS Society are definitely great advocates and if they had done nothing else for me, just taking the time to listen was such a nice change from what I'm used to.

Seasha, I am definitely reading up as much as I can take in. And this time I plan to go into my neuro appointment with questions and symptoms written down so that if (when) I fall apart again, I can just hand her the paper. Also, I am taking my hubby this time for moral support.

Again, thank you both for your kindness. Please know that it really does help! Hugs all around.

Comment

Hey WordsGood,

I really feel for you and your doctor situation. Here in the USA we have plenty of doctors its just hard to get insurance or cost to much.

I was diagnosed pretty quickly myself, and can get in to see my neuro at the drop of a dime. I had to wait for 2 years for insurance once I had disability. I think its worse tho to have a shortage of doctors like you have and then have them so be so rude to you...I am really sorry. No matter what the situation is you don't deserve to be treated so poorly.

Wanted to say you should come into chat sometime, I find these boards awesome but its also nice to get a questions answered right away. We have plenty of Canadians there. It is a bit overwhelming at first, but once it settles down I think you may enjoy it.

Hope to read more from you or see you in chat.

Comment

Nice to hear back from you! Don't be alarmed, after everything I'm generally a positive person

I think I'll go check out the chat room...hope to see you there.

Comment

Thank you, AnnaMae7.

Though I don't know if it's true, I have heard a number of times over the years that a lot of doctors are training here then moving to the US where they can make more money. Something about limits by our government about how much they can charge for their services.

Which makes a bit of sense when you consider that our basic national coverage is mostly paid for out of federal funds. Everyone who has a job is expected to pay monthly premiums based on their income and dependents. Some, like me, have extended coverage through their job or their spouse's job.

I'm on LTD but still have coverage. Unfortunately, coverage doesn't equate to doctor availability.

Ah well, the shock is starting to wear off and I hope to have a lot more success with my neuro than I do with my GP. Haven't tried the chat boards yet, but I'm sure I will at some point. Thanks again, for "stopping by" my thread. Any and all support is gratefully appreciated!

Comment

Latest update about neuro appt!

Thought I would swing by my intro thread and share. Apparently all my screaming about the lack of attention did get through to somebody.

Has a conference call last Friday with two nurses from my local MS Clinic and I guess they got how stressed I was because my first post-diagnosis appointment with the neuro has been moved to NOV. 20TH! I did get the impression from the message I found on my machine over the weekend that it's more of a short "relax, we didn't forget you" kind of appointment than a longer one to discuss symptoms and treatments...but hey, I'm more than happy to start there!

Cross your fingers for me please, that she (the neuro) proves to be actually interested in what her patients say and doesn't jump to conclusions on pure conjecture like my GP does. She seemed nice the first time I met her and is the one who initially brought up the possibility of MS before sending me up the ladder for more testing and a 2nd opinion, so I'm cautiously hopeful. (Especially since I don't think I even have the option of seeking out anyone else for treatment. Again due to the doctor shortage here.)

Trying very hard to stay positive here, it's just that after 7 years with my GP and the horrendous last appointment with him, I'm still a bit skeptical.

Comment

Working...
                X