UTI Supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTI Supplements

Has anyone used a supplement called UT Vibrance?

A nutruitionist recently suggested it to me saying it is designed to be used to treat a UTI and he knows of another person with MS that takes it daily as a preventitive measure with very good success. If you goggle it it looks good with D-mannose, cranberry and more.

He also suggested the Fem-Dophilus (Jarrow) probiotic to take in conjunction.

I take the Align probiotic now every other day as I figure every day is most likely not necessary. And am considering maybe switching to weekly. Anyone that takes a probiotic daily change to a less frequent dose? Seems once your bacteria is regulated and no infection is it beneficial?

Am planned to try these two and see if I can reduce UTI occurances even more. Seems hit and miss since everyones different.

Any experience with UT Vibrance or Fem-Dophilus ?

I take a cranberry supplement daily, and if my bladder is acting up have added D-mannose powder to calm things down. I also take a magnesium supplement at night to help relax my bladder.

Nice to have the cranberry and D-mannose in one dose. Let us know how it goes for you. I have not had a bladder injection in awhile, but do have urgency, frequency, retention, bladder spasms. I've had urodynamic testing as well.

Comment

I take D-Mannose, a strong probiotic, and also additional Vitamin C's throughout the day to help keep UTIs from occurring. Also I add unsweetened cranberry juice to a glass of water a couple times a day.

I also take a Rx pill called Methenamine Hippurate on a daily basis...but this was only added after I had recurrent UTIs for nearly a year.

Since I've been on this regime, my UTIs have definitely slacked off. I figure we're throwing the proverbial "kitchen sink" at the problem, but if that's what it takes, it's okay.

I've found Amazon has the best prices on all the supplements I take. Their D-Mannose is about 1/2 of what I'd pay at a health food store.

Comment

Hi rdmc,
        How many mg's do you take for both the cranberry and d-mannose and vitamin C per day. Not certain how much is recommended for benefits.

And for cranberry some products list mg of fruit, concentrate, powder or extract on the supplements - making it tough.

Are there specific brands you find better?

I figure to much can be overkill and a waste - and too little not enough to help.

Justsayyes,
        Does the magnesium help?

Thanks.

Comment

Sorry for the delay on this reply, yes, magnesium relaxes muscles and so the bladder and also helps with constipation. 400 mg. is what I take before bed.

My D-mannose powder is 2 grams for a level teaspoon. you can put the powder in any drink. The brand I have is Now.

My cranberry is Natures Bounty, just realized I'm supposed to take 2 capsules 3 times a day. Really? I'm not very good at taking anything 3 times a day. I'll be shopping for another brand.

Comment

CranMax brand was suggested by my urologist as being more potent than other supplements on the market. I've definitely had better success with that one. I used to take another brand as well as D-mannose, but I've been able to drop the D-mannose and just use the CranMax. I take 500mg daily and 1000mg on days I have intercourse or any sort of procedure in that area (catheter, pelvic exam, etc).

I also use Bladder Q supplements because I have interstitial cystitis. They cut down on the urgency and frequency. They're kind of expensive, but I'm able to see pretty good results with a half dose (1 tablet 2x/day), so a bottle lasts two months.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
              Hi rdmc,
              How many mg's do you take for both the cranberry and d-mannose and vitamin C per day. Not certain how much is recommended for benefits.

And for cranberry some products list mg of fruit, concentrate, powder or extract on the supplements - making it tough.

Are there specific brands you find better?

I figure to much can be overkill and a waste - and too little not enough to help.

Justsayyes,
              Does the magnesium help?

Thanks.
              Hi BG,

sorry, I just saw this message.

I take 3 d mannose capsules (I think that's 1500 mg in tha AM.). If I feel a UTI might be coming on I up my dosage to take the d mannose 4 times a day.). I've actually had UTI symptoms reverse and not develope into a full fledged infection doing this.

I had read on the Internet, for years, that if caught early d mannose can have this effect...supposedly it only works with Ecoli infections but my urologist said that it may facilitate making it hard to get a foothold even with bacteria other than ecoli.

I take a strong probiotic every day...I use Ultimate Flora for urinary/vaginal issues.

Methenamine Hippurate was prescribed for me by the neuro urologist at the University Medical Center. It works to acidify your urine. He said if you keep you ph low, that the bacteria don't like it...so I used test strips a couple times a day and add Vitamin C to get the PH low. I probably take a couple thousand mgs...3 times a day.

I have had very good results since I started on this regimen. As far as bladder meds, I also take Flomax to help prevent retention.

Sound like it's complicated, but it's not. I had gone a whole year with a UTI showing up about 2 weeks after I'd finished a round of antibiotics...that was a drag, especially whe I'd have to change meds when the culture came in. I know you have had some of those "scarier" bugs with a UTI, and that was happening to me too.

Since the new protocol, I've almost been a year UTI free. (knock on wood).

Comment

Good to hear feedback and Dr. Recommendations - too many brands out there.

I have taken cranberry supplements, lots of water, yogurt, probiotic and get around 2-3 UTIs a year. Most are ecoli (from retention I think), and got the one 'scarier' once as rdmc ,(still no idea how I got that one).

I cough and push my abdomen after I pee, and always there is a lot more. Probably not the best method.

I've heard of d-mannose for years but didn't realize it focused on ecoli - so I recently switched from cranberry to 1000 mg of d-mannose (Longevity Science) a day. So far I see it looks clearer which is good.

Rdmc,
                Good to hear your 'program' is working for you.

I have heard positive feedback re: ultimate flora. Is it the 50 billion by Renew? I am considering changing from Align to either Ultimate Flora or Klaire - concern is how I will react to such stronger probiotics. Way too many options.

Sounds like you are doing similar with increasing d-mannose if you feel an infection coming on, to what the UT Vibrance is for. It is a crisis supplement taken to cure a UTI, has d-mannose and antibiotic type herbs. The dose is 5 tablets 4-5 ties a day for 2.5 days (50 tablet bottle).

I have some on hand to try out when needed.

Which D-mannose are you using? Do you get from Amazon? I see Now brand that Justsayyes mentioned. I was trying to find the highest mg tablets - and was told of the 1000 mgs from the apothecary by my house.

The other thing is to limit sugar, which bacteria thrives on.
                And which I love!

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post

Rdmc,
                  Good to hear your 'program' is working for you.

I have heard positive feedback re: ultimate flora. Is it the 50 billion by Renew? I am considering changing from Align to either Ultimate Flora or Klaire - concern is how I will react to such stronger probiotics. Way too many options.

Sounds like you are doing similar with increasing d-mannose if you feel an infection coming on, to what the UT Vibrance is for. It is a crisis supplement taken to cure a UTI, has d-mannose and antibiotic type herbs. The dose is 5 tablets 4-5 ties a day for 2.5 days (50 tablet bottle).

I have some on hand to try out when needed.

Which D-mannose are you using? Do you get from Amazon? I see Now brand that Justsayyes mentioned. I was trying to find the highest mg tablets - and was told of the 1000 mgs from the apothecary by my house.

The other thing is to limit sugar, which bacteria thrives on.
                  And which I love!
                  Hey BG,

Yeah I use the Ultimate Flora (50 billion) they're a little pricey, big difference if you get a 60 day supply versus a 30 day...you save $10 if you opt for 60 day. I also overnight the pill because with Amazon Prime it only costs $3.99 extra and I figure less time in a hot truck.

I use NOW D-mannose the 500 mgs. I might take 1500 a day normally, but up it to a couple thousand 3 or 4 times a day if I feel a UTI (or check with a test strip and it looks like one's coming on.) Evidently doesn't work for those weird "bugs" we've had, but my urologist says it's good to take no matter what the bug because it helps flush things out of your bladder, even if it's not e'coli. Amazon definitely has the cheapest.

My UPS or FedEx driver make a lot of stops at our house I have passed on the ease of online buying to my DIL, and our UPS driver is the same woman. She kids my DIL about taking after me because now they get a lot of things via UPS/FedEx. I use Amazon Prime, ShopRunner (that's a monthly fee for a lot of the stores I use), free shipping with $50 at Walmart,Target has just started that too. Most stores have a free coupon occasionally, so I use that if weneed clothes.

Now Amazon has a Pride Pantry, but I haven't really looked on it. We do buy our meat online.

I figure whatever I can buy online is one less errand I have to send my husband on, and he appreciates it (especially the Walmart items...he's not a fan of Walmart shopping.)

Are you spendingi the summer hibernating...I'm an MS Vampire in the summer, that's for sure.

Comment

Thanks rdmc.

Yes, hibernating big time.

Finding the humidity is affecting me negatively much worse this summer then in the past.

Comment

Tabs for overactive bladder

I have had a spastic bladder for 5 years and only now I have found tablets that work - in Ireland they're called Betmiga (50mg, mirabegron). Honestly, these would've saved me from panic attacks years ago when I was afraid to leave the house because I was sure to wet myself in 30 minutes. I hope it saves someone else's day

Comment

Working...
                      X