Anyone else have muscle atrophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else have muscle atrophy?

Well, I went to the PT this morning and told him my DH had noticed that my r thigh seemed smaller than the left, so he measured thigh and calf...

Sure enough, over 1/2" smaller thigh and even more on the calf, so he said atrophy.

He said we can work on it, but I was trying to read about that when it is caused by MS and wasn't sure if it can be fixed.

My question is, has anyone been through this and were you able to correct it through rehab and/or exercise.

It's really a bummer as they said no atrophy in Sept. 2011...but now it is there.

Could the AFO contribute to the calf muscle atrophy??

Thanks.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

I wear AFOs on both feet. I have not noticed any difference, have not looked either, nor have I been in any type of P/T in several years.

DO you wear AFOs on BOTH feet?

(My AFOs are Arizona boot type)

Gomer

Comment

@Gomer

I have a custom AFO on the right foot/calf. It has hinges at the ankle and back stop because my r knee was hyper extending. But it does limit the movement of the right foot as all AFO's do...

I figure both my legs get the same exercise, they are side-by-side.

I read that from MS this may have to do with the nerves sending signals to the muscle and maybe a machine can be used to by-pass that.

Just want to see if anyone else had the same problems...thanks.
      Ampyra 10mg 2xday
      Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Sparky

You are correct in that I think my good leg is over compensating for the weaker one...although I climb a flight of stairs (up and down) about 7-10 times a day so I would think the leg has to be working on that one!

I see a local neuro tomorrow and start new round of PT next week so I want to have some information for the PT if he needs it. He works at an Ortho center rehab, but is familiar with MS.

I couldn't find a PT that specializes in MS...
        Ampyra 10mg 2xday
        Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

My legs have the opposite problem. My calves and thighs are hard as rocks from spasticity and look like I'm a cross-country runner, though I actually get very little exercise. Now if that would just work on my abs, arms, and bottom, I'd be doing great!
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I have atrophy in one calf...it's on the leg that didn't work right. They always said I had foot drop, got the pump, and realized it was a contracture, because it eased almost completely.

So now that I can walk in a more "normal" fashion, i.e. heel toe gait, instead of slap foot, I think the atrophy has gotten some better.

Just makes sense when we use muscles in a different way than they were meant to be used, due to getting the wrong nerve impulses, that atrophy will follow. (but I like Snoopy's theory that maybe one leg is being exercised more.)

I also have atrophy on one side in my trapezius and SCM, but that has to do with a cranial nerve problem and am hoping the speech pathologist can give me some help in keeping it from getting worse.

The closer we can get to a "normal" gait, I believe the less atrophy we have. I don't know about the AFO adding to it, but I know there some AFO's that allow almost no action in the calf muscle, due to how they're designed. I'm no expert on that, so maybe the PT can help you figure that one out.

Comment

LMAO

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
              My legs have the opposite problem. My calves and thighs are hard as rocks from spasticity and look like I'm a cross-country runner, though I actually get very little exercise. Now if that would just work on my abs, arms, and bottom, I'd be doing great!
              Sashi - You sound just like me! My calves have always been very toned and the left one still is, same as thighs...the abs, arms and bottom, not so much!

I've been having calf cramps for several years now, usually on the right, but sometimes both sides...I do know the right calf is more flabby now.
              Ampyra 10mg 2xday
              Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Just found this...

Well, I just found this on healthguidance.org...

"However, some injuries also cause nerve damage which compromises by compression the nerves which supply muscles. There are times when this may be reversible but other times, if the compression is caused by a disease such as multiple sclerosis, Lou Gehrig’s disease or stroke, the damage (atrophy) may be irreversible and progressive. Sometimes nerve function can be interrupted in the brain, spinal cord or even in a peripheral nerve."
                Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

My entire left side has atrophy...leg, arm, buttock, hand...everything. Everything on left noticeably smaller than right. It's nerve damage in my case, not from inactivity or my AFO. I've posted this before but the damn MS has cut me in two, right down the middle...it's quite amazing.

Comment

My left side has atrophy too. Sometimes I have atrophy that comes and goes in my hands and face as well. I'm not sure why it comes and goes.
                    MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

my left calf is about 1cm smaller than my right. same at my thigh. it is a noticeable difference. interestingly, my right side is the more affected side from the MS with mildly hypertonic reflexes and occasional clonus. my pain sensation is also different on the right (everything hurts more!!), yet its my left leg that is atrophying? or maybe the right is larger from the slightly increased tone? dunno. doc had no explanation either. he said sometimes it just happens that way.
                      dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

I have this problem also on the side that is weaker. I did PT and the other leg became nicely toned and built up yet that one stayed kind of the same. Stronger for sure but not "buff" if you get what I am saying. It has something to do with it not getting enough juice or nerve innervation.
                        "So, perhaps our task in this shaky, fast-changing, bewildering world in which we live is to make music, at first with all that we have, and then, when that is no longer possible, to make music with all that we have left." UNKN

Comment

Muscle Atrophy

Originally posted by jbell2435 View Post
                          Well, I went to the PT this morning and told him my DH had noticed that my r thigh seemed smaller than the left, so he measured thigh and calf...

Sure enough, over 1/2" smaller thigh and even more on the calf, so he said atrophy.

He said we can work on it, but I was trying to read about that when it is caused by MS and wasn't sure if it can be fixed.

My question is, has anyone been through this and were you able to correct it through rehab and/or exercise.

It's really a bummer as they said no atrophy in Sept. 2011...but now it is there.

Could the AFO contribute to the calf muscle atrophy??

Thanks.
                          I have some in my right leg and right hand. I walk 3 xs a day and am careful to be sure that we entire foot touches when and where it supposed to. After a month, it's better. Before I couldn't lift my foot as if to strike a bass drum. Now,I'm about halfway there.
                          My right hand has a gully at the base of my index and thumb. Came on quick and I truly believe it's from stress. Your hand has that bump of muscle as if you were making a salute. Not the right hand.Started crushing cans for recycle with my fingers and now I can use a nail clipper again. Needed to position it in my palm before Dangerous.
                          Spoke with an Ambassador for my Med company and he said Atrophy can come from non use, nerve damage or cognitive issues. Will research the later and keep you updated.
                          Stick with it and you can turn it around.
                          Jake44

Comment

Hi Jake,

Looks like this is your 1st post. Welcome to the club that none of us really want to belong to

I read through the posts to this thread and see I commented back in 2012.

For me, atrophy in certain muscles, has always come on slow, the PT says it to results from muscles that don't get the signal to "fire"...and not using that muscle causes atrophy. Like in foot drop, if you can't walk heel/toe because of an MS affected nerve, then the muscle that performs the heel/toe gait will eventually atrophy. If you have RRMS, and regain function in your gait, then you may be able to return to normal after an exacerbation.

My latest atrophied muscle is the left side of my tongue. I always thought the problems I had
                            with that side of my tongue were spasm, but my neuro send me to another neuro to figure it out
                            and see what we could do about it. Nothing to do, the muscles atrophied, so I work around the
                            deficit.

Sounds like what you're doing is helping you restrengthen those muscles, so keep up the good work.

Comment

Yes indeed. Plus side, as a young and healthy girl, I always hated my chunky legs and now they're as skinny as a supermodel's.
                              There is of course the down side - can't walk too (read hardly at all) well.
                              Careful what you wish for.

Good lord RDMC, tongue atrophy?!? That explains why the MS woman is keen on getting me to open and close my mouth.

Also, just in case you're passing by, KatieAgain, I hope you're feeling better.
                              I do worry about all of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X