thought patterns before sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thought patterns before sleep

I know that neurotypical people can have disorienting things surround sleep. Something I've noticed (not medication related) post MS is that right before I fall asleep I get random images, phrases, etc. In 2009 I would wake up in the middle of the night and there would seem to be plastic bags hanging from the ceiling. When I'm awake I don't have any visual disturbances or randomness, sometimes I'll rhyme words in my head automatically or of course grasp for the right word or answer. Just wondered if anyone knew what part of my brain got chewed on in order for this to happen, I guess I'm stuck with it all.

I get random thoughts as I drift off to sleep.

It's weird, I have solved all the world's problems, ended wars, world hunger etc as I slowly fall asleep.

Then when I wake up, I recall I had all these great workable (well, maybe not, but I like to think so!) solutions, but, can't remember them!

Comment

Originally posted by seal View Post
      I get random thoughts as I drift off to sleep.

It's weird, I have solved all the world's problems, ended wars, world hunger etc as I slowly fall asleep.

Then when I wake up, I recall I had all these great workable (well, maybe not, but I like to think so!) solutions, but, can't remember them!

I disproved the existence of God once in a dream using set theory. Probably not help anyone to remember the details, just make them sad. What happens prior to sleep now though is totally non-contextual, like "she never took the train tickets" /image of coyotes running after a rabbit.

Comment

I get those random thoughts and also see faces that I don't recognize. I didn't think it had anything to do with MS. I was thinking it was possibly related to something from your past, normally buried in your subconscious, that is coming up in the hypnogogic (sp?) state or maybe something related to a past life, who knows...

Comment

Me too

When I was in that state, I once figured out a fabulous gearing system that could enable you to pedal a full-size car with no more effort than leisurely pedaling a bike on flat ground, but it could make the car go 55-60 MPH. But now I'm thinking that the petroleum industry would have put a hit out on me if I really did.

In the non-contextual category: what would it be like if I had 3 nostrils...?
          PPMS
          Dx 07/13

Comment

I had to look up the word neurotypical

Plastic bags ... I see balloons and plastic toys hanging from the ceiling. I'm not dreaming them either, I'm wide awake. Hubby pretends to pop the balloons and they go away.

One night I was reading in bed and hubby was standing at the end of the bed getting ready. I'm awake! I was reading! Then someone in a brown gorilla suit (a little taller than hubby) was standing by hubby. Then the gorilla started to climb into bed with me. I said hubby's name, he said yes ... gorilla disappeared. That was weird.

I was recently diagnosed with another noncancerous tumor on my brain and I wonder if it is connected. I have talked to neuro about these "waking dreams". He just laughs.
            Karen

Comment

Random thoughts haven't been a problem for me. But, we all likely experience thinking about things that happened during the day, or planning tomorrow's grocery list, or worrying about this or that before drifting off to sleep.

I just focus on a relaxing song over and over in my head and that distracts me from those things. Would the same strategy help with the weird random thoughts?
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
              X