Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Post

Hello,

I would first like to say thank you to all who post and answer questions on these boards. It seems as though this is a very caring community - one that makes me feel safe in posting without being judged. I know this will probably be long but will try to keep it as short as possible.

So, my husband (and probably kids) thinks I'm a hypochondriac at worst and dramatically oversensitive at the least. I'm a 43 y.o. wife, mother, and elementary school librarian with a relatively clean health history. In hindsight, I have pieced together that I have been having unusual "symptoms" since at least November, 2012.

In Nov. 12, I started having extremely itchy breasts and chest. No amount of lotion, hydrocortisone cream, or body oil gave any relief. I hadn't changed any products I used to be causing an allergy, so I made an appointment with my gp. She couldn't think of anything and referred me to my gyno. This doctor told me basically it was in my mind, or that perhaps I had "itchy winter breast syndrome." (I haven't been back since). I called my gp for my yearly mammogram refrral.

Mammo had normal results and at the end of Jan. 13/early Feb. 13 it just stopped. Fast forward to July of 2013 and while on vacation I began getting very dizzy at random times. I chalked it up to being in the mountains and spending lots of time in the car (maybe motion sickness?). As the end of summer and early fall went along the dizziness continued to get worse. It was affecting my balance and really effecting my everyday life. I couldn't stand to see the students at my school go by in a line without sitting down or nearly falling over. I continued to drive but riding in a car as a passenger was awful. By Nov./Dec of 2013, I tried to move my head as little as possible and started having numbness/tingling in my toes on my left foot. Sometimes the tingling would travel up my leg, but remained constant in my toes.

I went back to my gp in Jan. 14 and she ordered an MRI. My insurance did a "peer review" and decided the MRI was not necessary and thus it was not performed. She instead prescribed meclazine and blood tests including thyroid and b12. My b12 came back at 185 and she started me on b12 injections weekly for a month, and then monthly thereafter.

At first, I thought the b12 shots were the miracle cure. It seemed to help significantly with the tingling and the motion issues seemed to be improving. However, as the months went by, I started to notice that the symptoms were returning/worsening before it was time for another shot.

In June, 2014 I took a trip to California (5 1/2 hour flight). After returning home, I had the tingling in my left calf. I thought it was from the flight (and checked the symptoms for a blood clot). It continued for about two weeks and then disappeared.

Then one week ago today, my left forearm started tingling/numbness that sometimes extended into my hand and fingers. I had a doctor appointment for last Wednesday for a re-check on my blood pressure (recently starting taking meds for hereditary hypertension). Told gp about the tingling/numbness and she performed some minor neurological checks like reflexes, squeeze her fingers, can you feel this etc. She also ordered an MRI which is scheduled for Thursday and told me she thought it might be MS.

There are days where it feels as though weights are hanging from my arms and I don't have the strength to lift them or keep them up. I am exhausted all the time, sometimes needing a nap before I can even begin dinner. I can't seem to regulate my temperature and being in the heat or cold always brings on tingling. I've been saying for a year and a half that something is not right. Am I CRAZY??

I do not want MS. I do not want any medical condition actually. But I do not want to continue to feel like I am crazy either. I know there is something not right.

Thank you for reading. It makes me feel better just to get it out among people that have experienced similar symptoms, whether MS or not.

Welcome to the Limbo Land Club Mrs S. If you look at my posts, you will see some similarities. Good luck on your journey. It is frustrating to have symptoms that no one can see or feel. I get the same feeling about being nuts! And it's all in my head. Like I said, take a look at my posts when you get a chance!

Comment

Welcome Mrs S!

I know all about being told it was in my head or that I was probably having a nervous breakdown! Ugh! I was in limbo for 10 years before I was blindsided with the diagnose. And I began to think that I was going crazy too!

It didn't take me long, though, to appreciate that my current Dr. took me seriously. And in that respect, I felt validated. Was I happy to get the diagnose? No, but I was relieved that the strange symptoms led to something and had something tangible to work with.

Good luck with your testing on Thursday and be sure to let us know how it went. We're happy you found your way to us. Take care

ps - I was a librarian for 30 years in the school and later in the public library until I had to retire early and go on SSDI.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Mrs S - First and foremost you are not crazy! You describe symptoms that could potentially fall under the "MS" category.

But there are many other things that could contribute to the symptoms. I'm glad to see that you are getting the MRI. That is so important.

I can only hope and pray that it comes back and shows nothing indicative of MS. But its a good place to start.

I wish you luck on this journey and hope that there is nothing serious wrong.

In the meantime, please hang around here with us! We have so many wonderful, caring and informative people on the site. I"m sure that they will continue to offer support and maybe help answer some questions you may have.

On Wed night at 8pm est, we have a chat just for those that have not yet been diagnosed. It's called "Patient-ly Waiting" We would love to have you join in.

Comment

Mrs. S, I have so many similarities in what you're feeling/experiencing.

I retired as the school librarian after 26 years at the same school. Six months before my retirement, I began to realize something wasn't right, that I was "half a bubble off" (my husband is in the construction field. ). These changes continued for the next 18 months until my final diagnosis of MS in June, 2010. I was 58.5. Welcome to the golden years!

Believe it or not, I was relieved to know what was finally wrong. As you know, many librarians are so concrete-sequential that anything we can't explain drives us nuts! It certainly did me! Just knowing what I had to deal with gave me the knowledge to develop a plan.

Maybe you have MS, maybe not, but continue your search until you find the answer to what's causing your problem. If you're not comfortable with information you are given, keep searching until you are. We are so lucky the Internet gives us access to so much information so quickly.

Oh yeah, continue to use this site for questions and answers. It's the best one I've found, and I've been to many!

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words and positive thoughts. One more question - maybe I should search the boards to see if it's been asked - but how do you keep your symptom journal? Word document? Written journal? Calendar? Phone? (I tried looking for an app for my android phone but couldn't find one!) Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X